Thread: Changing Base OS?

Changing Base OS?

I am trying to figure out how to change my Base OS. Is this possible and if so how does one go about doing it? I have a 2001 P01 ecu that I changed to a 2 bar enhanced for my truck. It was a 12208322 base OS and now is 1253012 OS. I would like to add the flex fuel ability for a P01 out of a 2002 ecu that has a base OS of 12216125. I understand If I need to license the tune file I want to use with the flex OS. But even if I do can I put that OS on my current ecu using a write entire? or can this ecu not handle it? thanks.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Typically the only way we recommend is via tech 2, but you'd also want to check to see if 12216125 is an OS that is available for your vehicle. Trucks are alot more complex than, say, a passenger car. For instance a 2002 Camaro would have typically just 1 operating system and just a handful of calibrations one for a manual, one for the auto and maybe a couple of others depending upon the gear ratio. Trucks typically had 4 or 5 different engine options ie 4.3ltr v6, 4.8 v8, 5.3 v8, 6.0 v8, etc. each of which needs its own calibration, then 4x4 vs 2x4 each need their own, then 4l60 vs 4l80 need their own, then gearing, etc. So for that camaro you might see 4 different cals but for a truck there might be 60+ different cals for the same year, finding one one that works from the repository is like trying to shoot a moving target with your eyes closed and $100 on the line for each miss...not a good idea.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

So sounds like I would be better off just buying a 2002 ECU with that base OS on it already, then just upgrading to the 2 bar. If I wanted to try and put the 2002 OS onto my 2001 ecu would I just license the 02 file and write entire onto the ecu? I will segment swap the rest, I am trying to get 2 bar and flex fuel on my 01 ecu.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    read through my post, buying a 2002 ecu would essentially do the same, you get 1 of those 60 operating system, good luck.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"