Thread: Changing Base OS?

Changing Base OS?

Posted this in editor forum by accident, this is more GM related I guess. I am trying to figure out how to change my Base OS. Is this possible and if so how does one go about doing it? I have a 2001 P01 ecu that I changed to a 2 bar enhanced for my truck. It was a 12208322 base OS and now is 1253012 OS. I would like to add the flex fuel ability for a P01 out of a 2002 ecu that has a base OS of 12216125. I understand If I need to license the tune file I want to use with the flex OS. But even if I do can I put that OS on my current ecu using a write entire? or can this ecu not handle it? thanks.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    someone else may be able to verify this but as long as you have converted your ecu back to the stock file using write entire then you should be able to take the stock file and perform a segment swap from the ecu you wish to use. P01- P01 is acceptable but P01-P59 is not so you will have to use the 02 tahoe Flex P01 as mentioned.
    The segment swap shouldn't force you to pay any extra credits as it still allows the upgraded file to retain the original licensed vin.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

the segment swap only works when the stock file OS is the same though. the problem is I need a 2002 Tahoe OS with flex fuel when I have a 2001 S10 OS. What I need to know is if a completely different "original" OS be able to go on an ecu? Or would I have to buy that tahoe ecu?

Advanced Tuner
    You would have to pay for the 02 Tahoe license and "write entire" to your pcm to change the OS.

Ok, that?s what I was hoping for. Easier to license a new file and write entire then it is to find an ecu with it on it already. Thanks.