Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much timing can be added with E85?

Tuner in Training

How much timing can be added with E85?

Hello there im new to the forum, ive just been reading but havent posted stuff yet until now that it got my attention and want to know if if true or false. Plenty of people have told me that my tune has alot of more left on the table. That i should be making a tad bit more since im running E85. Corrently the car is on 25* timing at WOT. is there more timing that it can be added or no? Mods are in sig. And im also new to tuning i have hp tuners pro that ive been messing for quite a couple months. Im trying to learn how to tune. Ive been reading and watching videos trying to get any info possible to learn.
    Last edited by Lsx520; 07-24-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Ls3 6spd manual
    Night fury cam/stock heads
    E85 /ZL1 Pump, 80lb injectors
    3.45 gears

Advanced Tuner
    Well as long as you dont knock sure you can add more timing but just because you add more timing doesnt mean it works best for your car - for that you'll need a dyno to know if you make anymore power past 25 degrees or not

25 on your setup is right at MBT with 93 octane in the higher loads...
    With E85 you could run a more timing depending on the blend

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    E85 reads at 78% on the scanner. I was thinking on running c85 on race days to have good consistent ethanol and make the tune more aggressive.
    3.45 gears

Advanced Tuner
    Thats a good % ratio I'd probably say continue to get the fuel at the same gas station to have a greater chance of getting the same blend/% but also again about he spark like stated above 25 is just about max for 93 and if your not knocking then sure you can add timing buy without a dyno you wont know if the changes are positive or negative

Tuner in Training
    Thats mostly what i read on the scanner every fill up around 78%-80%. Oh okay. Ill just stay at 25*.
    3.45 gears

Advanced Tuner
    You can probably run 25 sooner than you have it that your running e-85 now and maybe do testing/time attack and see how long it takes to you go from let's say 30mph to 100mph in let's say 3rd gear and add a degree and time it again and see the time difference between the logs to see if you gained anything or just keep it and wait until you can get some dyno time so see the data

Advanced Tuner
    You can also search the repository to see fellow e-85 tunes with close mods and see what the average round about spark advance is for wot to give you a round about number to use ... I guess around 28 probably

Tuner in Training
    Also i had a another question i just current switched to a 160 tstat. Do i have to change settings in open loop and close loop since the thermostat is opening sooner than the stock 180?
    3.45 gears

Tuner in Training
    You got a good idea there. Im gonna try that out. Because i was thinking on shoving the timing much sooner if its posible
    3.45 gears

Advanced Tuner
    For the t-stat nah probably just want to engauge the fans by atleast 20 degrees sooner that stock

I dont know how you have the timing set up but mayne try 1k sooner but first and foremost before you mess with spark is to make sure your afr is proper again from the fuel switch

Advanced Tuner
    And if you do the time attack make sure you either do the pulls the same day or different day/same conditions so the conditions are the same because temp will play as role

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry for the fat fingers on the typos haha

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
    For the t-stat nah probably just want to engauge the fans by atleast 20 degrees sooner that stock

I dont know how you have the timing set up but mayne try 1k sooner but first and foremost before you mess with spark is to make sure your afr is proper again from the fuel switch
    oh okay. only lowest setting i have is 192 f. only if i set that setting to 42 and the rest at 100. that should work.
    3.45 gears

Pretty sure you need the upgraded 2 BAR OS to change the fan turn on temps.

Some will find that the 160 thermostat is not as good as the stock 190 or a 180 for that matter. If the thermostat is always open it does not allow the radiator to properly cool the coolant/water inside it before it passes through the engine and takes heat away from it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    you're going to want to lower the timing for e85 to pick up any horsepower.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    Really? Please explain.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    Removing timing = less power. Thats what ive been told plenty of times. Like on nitrous applications, on a nitrous tune if your not on the bottle your way low on hp because you removed timing. Someone correct me if im wrong
    3.45 gears

Advanced Tuner
    Ethanol has a faster burn speed then gasoline so you dont need as much timing advance to get proper ignition

There's videos on this all over youtube and in books.. part throttle in most engines you'll need to retard timing 3-4 degrees on ethanol blends. However, WOT in my experience is a different story.

Some I've Managed to push 5 degrees on and others didn't gain anything from increased timing advance but rather gained power from the fuel alone.

the Gen 5 direct injection vehicles gain stupid amounts of power on the fuel alone.