Thread: First Time EEC-V Tuning

Tuner

First Time EEC-V Tuning

Hopefully y'all can help me out here. I have been tuning GM Gas and Ford diesel for some time but the Ford Gas is new territory for me. A friend brought me his 04 Mustang Cobra with a VMT blower on it setup for 20psi. Deka 80 Injectors and Stage 1 Comp cams. The car will start and immediately die on a Cold start. I can use the pedal to make the car stay running and if I hold it up high enough, once the engine starts to warm up it will idle but even putting it in gear can cause it to die. I am genuinely at a loss for where to start on the idle for this car. Just need some ideas on where to start with this thing and I appreciate any help. I can't do anything in the scanner on this car, something isn't right there and I

File was read with the 4.x beta.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lot of things you'll need to set up properly. I don't see a file attached, but you'll need to make sure your injector data is spot on and for the fuel system you have (ie returnless or return), get the maf curve in the ball park, raise idle up to 900. From there you can datalog ISC integrator once warm and adjust isc maps as necessary. A slight negative number works best usually. From there you can adjust your start up air flow multipliers to get it to cold start. Some combos might need to adjust dashpot down to prevent stall, sometimes raising base idle spark and idle spark gain if cam is aggressive. I usually tune them with SCT. I haven't tried HP yet. If you want to attach a file i'd take a look.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangguy View Post
    Lot of things you'll need to set up properly. I don't see a file attached, but you'll need to make sure your injector data is spot on and for the fuel system you have (ie returnless or return), get the maf curve in the ball park, raise idle up to 900. From there you can datalog ISC integrator once warm and adjust isc maps as necessary. A slight negative number works best usually. From there you can adjust your start up air flow multipliers to get it to cold start. Some combos might need to adjust dashpot down to prevent stall, sometimes raising base idle spark and idle spark gain if cam is aggressive. I usually tune them with SCT. I haven't tried HP yet. If you want to attach a file i'd take a look.
    File is attached to the original post. I have Deka 80 info for Chevy tunes...is there a source for the ford data? Fuel system is return style.

Says file attached but don't see where it is to download. What's the part number of the injectors?

Tuner
    Says file attached but don't see where it is to download. What's the part number of the injectors?
    I will need to get that, buddy just told me they were 80s. I tried attaching the file differently.
    04Cobra 1st Read.hpt

This tune needs a lot of work. MTF is rough, injector data isn't correct, engine displacement modified (aftermarket maf or extender?), spark table needs work along with range, idle functions look stock, commanding like 18.5 degrees of timing at 1.5 load then about 2 degrees for .82 lambda your commanding, which is lean for a modular, and then you have 1 degree added global on pump gas. Your MBT table would limit you to 20 degrees it looks like. The tune needs a lot of work especially for a VMP TVS blower on 20psi i'm guessing you meant. Still need a lot of info to help you with tune.

Injector part number? could be ford racing 80lbs possibly
    mass air flow? Stock? aftermarket? Extender?
    pump gas? 91 or 93? race gas?
    Fuel system you said return, base fuel pressure set at? boost referenced?
    headers? cats? etc

Tuner
    This tune needs a lot of work. MTF is rough, injector data isn't correct, engine displacement modified (aftermarket maf or extender?), spark table needs work along with range, idle functions look stock, commanding like 18.5 degrees of timing at 1.5 load then about 2 degrees for .82 lambda your commanding, which is lean for a modular, and then you have 1 degree added global on pump gas. Your MBT table would limit you to 20 degrees it looks like. The tune needs a lot of work especially for a VMP TVS blower on 20psi i'm guessing you meant. Still need a lot of info to help you with tune.

Injector part number? could be ford racing 80lbs possibly
    mass air flow? Stock? aftermarket? Extender?
    pump gas? 91 or 93? race gas?
    Fuel system you said return, base fuel pressure set at? boost referenced?
    headers? cats? etc
    Fuel system is Returnless with 2 Mustang GT pumps with booster. The booster is wired pre FPDM so the ECM controls the fuel pressure.
    MAS Airflow is an SCT BA-2600
    Running on VP110
    Factory exhaust manifolds, no cats
    VMP GT500 Single Blade Throttle Body
    Last edited by Kadams87; 07-30-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Did you get injector part number yet?

Tuner
    I'll have it today. I am going to have to pull one. Guy can't find the invoice

Senior Tuner
    Try this for injector and MAF. Didn't look through the rest of the tune but unless you changed something unusual I think this should get it running with maybe a 800 RPM idle

BA2600Ford80lbsCobraVP110.hpt

Tuner
    Finally got into this and found the following information. Had to revisit the age old "Trust but Verify" philosophy.

Injector Part number is 109991

MAF is actually a Granatelli Motorsports BA2400

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Try this for injector and MAF. Didn't look through the rest of the tune but unless you changed something unusual I think this should get it running with maybe a 800 RPM idle

BA2600Ford80lbsCobraVP110.hpt
    I know I told you the wrong MAF Sensor but I loaded it anyway for the grins and the car won't start on it. I'm going to blame that on myself for the wrong MAF information.

Senior Tuner
    Not enough difference to cause a no start. I'll look at that tune again if I get a chance in the next little bit but I am surprised it didn't start. Have you checked to what TPS is reading at idle? Can give a little more throttle with set screw to rule that out and make sure it's a rich / lean problem

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Not enough difference to cause a no start. I'll look at that tune again if I get a chance in the next little bit but I am surprised it didn't start. Have you checked to what TPS is reading at idle? Can give a little more throttle with set screw to rule that out and make sure it's a rich / lean problem
    There was plenty of smoke when it finally did start. I had to give it some pedal though and it died, couldn't keep it running. I can't see TPS because the scanner is completely broke for EEC-V right now and my IDS is dead.

Fuel pressure at idle is about 32-36 psi, somewhere in there. It has an fuel pressure gauge plumbed right off the rail.