Thread: Coolant code after thermostat install

Advanced Tuner

Coolant code after thermostat install

I have 14 SRT Challenger with a coolant code after a 180 degree thermostat install. Customer said something about it not reaching proper temp. IS there anyway to adjust the values that it reads or is it okay to remove the code?

Tuner
    No adjustment just turn code off

Advanced Tuner
    depends on which code you are talking about but sometimes when you max out the coolant temp for the rear O2's you will get this code. In this case you want to disable them using airflow. This tends to happen on the later models.

Advanced Tuner
    180F is too cold for the northern states especially this time of year. Better to run a 195F instead.

Tuner
    drive the car then reopen the thermostat make sure no air in the system
    Jeep wrangler 2012 automatic, sprintex supercharger, 9lbs of boost, 4.5" lift, fox 2.5 internal bypass shocks, 4.88 gears, 37" tires,

Ford Mustang Shelby gt350 2017, airraid air filter, jlt catch-can,

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    180F is too cold for the northern states especially this time of year. Better to run a 195F instead.

Certainly use a 195 if you are more concerned with heater performance rather than engine performance.
    But, if you are chasing power, 160 is best followed by 170 followed by 180...well you get the idea.
    The heater does work good with 195, but they really only run em that hot for emissions.
    Last edited by Hemituna; 03-01-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemituna View Post
    Certainly use a 195 if you are more concerned with heater performance rather than engine performance.
    But, if you are chasing power, 160 is best followed by 170 followed by 180...well you get the idea.
    The heater does work good with 195, but they really only run em that hot for emissions.
    I wasn't really referring to heater performance but instead that 195F thermos don't seem to throw DTCs for long warmup times.

Funny you mention going to 160F, there was a long thread about thermostats temps on the challengertalk forum. There were even studies showing around 200F engines produce optimum power and less emissions. In stop and go traffic the thermostat does not help much and to maintain the lower temps the fans pretty much need to run almost non-stop during the summer.

Now on my jet boat (460 BBF) I run around 160-180F with a 160F thermo but my oil temp hovers around 200F at WOT.

Tuner in Training
    Dropping in a cooler thermostat will not being more power this is false. It stops engine from getting to proper temps like Homer stated. Because of this the metal doesnt expand enough and cause more wear and tear and not more horsepower. Here is a good read from tuning university on why upgrading isnt what you believe it to be http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/...9zn2fKccOtAIrU