Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac ATS - LTG Tuning - Exhaust Crackle

Potential Tuner

Cadillac ATS - LTG Tuning - Exhaust Crackle

Hey guys, long-time lurker, first time poster.

Been playing with the ATS (2.0L Performance, manual) for a year now after years of tuning Saabs (their old Trionic systems). The methods of engine management have come a long way since the '90s.

Anyway, attached is my tune. I can see ~35 lb/min at the MAF with no knock or misfiring. Finally pretty happy with it, car runs quick and smooth and once I figured to turn off torque shaping the drivability got much better. Was also great to realize you can actually make power above 5500rpm, this will run smooth to 6800rpm without running out of breath. Having a lot more fun now, the engine was such a wet paper bag before. I should probably go through and write an explanation for all the changes to give something back to the community, but that's for another day.

One thing I'd really love to learn to do - dial in some light exhaust crackle. I've been doing some reading on this, but can't find anything directly applicable yet. Seems there are things that can be done with DFCO and the Main Spark Advance (and likely the Spark Minimum) tables. Am I close? Would love some guidance here if anyone has ideas. Not looking for Jag F-Type level crackling, but a nice noise during throttle lift would be killer.

Thanks in advance, and thanks to all those who have shared their tunes and ideas to help this recovering Saab addict get this E39a figured out.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    My lsj use to do that during dfco and I didnt like it but it was do to the spark advance during dfco was too low ... like 5 degrees advance so I upped it to 10 and it went away so maybe try lowering the spark to around 5 degrees during dfco and see how it fairs ... I'm also running practically open exhaust so it was much more noticable for me

Potential Tuner
    Thanks! I'll take a look at that. Mine is still fully catted with only the final muffler deleted, throttle lift results in a smooth rev down.

Potential Tuner
    Cant wait for the explanations, need to get the knowledge flowing for the LTG. Also your methodology on how you went about it would be extremely helpful.

.Ill be tuning our 2016 Camaro in two weeks or so which has an injen intake, catted downpipe and mishimoto intercooler. I've been going over the tables for a week or so now and doing some logging and it looks relatively straight forward to get a safe tune started. Your tune looks like its not so straight forward but is netting some awesome gains!!...again thanks for sharing.

Advanced Tuner
    Forgot to mention you could probably also do it by lowering the spark advance in the lower rpm range/higher load areas to get it during accel instead of decel

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    retard the exhaust cam in decel zone was another technique back when i tried to make the lnf battle the srt4 backfires.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Hey everyone - Thanks for the notes! I'm running into a wall. The e29a ECU just doesn't have many DFCO settings, they all only apply to whether or not it comes on or not. I made an adjustment to simply not have it come on, but then I ended up with a lot of rev float; which would happen randomly, but the revs would sit at 3000rpm or higher until I used the clutch and wheel speed to force it down.

I officially admit I'm too afraid to mess the the VE tables that you find in the Edit menu, and there seems to be no one talking about these yet. Any videos show much more direct routes to be sure you have a little extra fuel to burn with the crackling. Those all seem to be based on a different ideology than what GM (or Bosch) is doing with these ECUs. Trying to isolate the decel zones in maps is troubling as well, I'm going to need to get out there with the scanner to figure out where the timing and cams are at when decelerating.

I have retarded the timing in the lowest two ranges of the main advance table between 1000 and 5600rpm, and that has resulted in some light crackling when revving and decelerating. So it's a start.

@Deply - I'm going to get together an explanation in the coming weeks. Thanks!
    Currently: 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T Performance, 2001 Porsche 911 Carrera, 1999 Land Rover Discovery II, 1987 BMW 325i

Quote Originally Posted by egoexercised View Post
    Hey everyone - Thanks for the notes! I'm running into a wall. The e29a ECU just doesn't have many DFCO settings, they all only apply to whether or not it comes on or not. I made an adjustment to simply not have it come on, but then I ended up with a lot of rev float; which would happen randomly, but the revs would sit at 3000rpm or higher until I used the clutch and wheel speed to force it down.

I officially admit I'm too afraid to mess the the VE tables that you find in the Edit menu, and there seems to be no one talking about these yet. Any videos show much more direct routes to be sure you have a little extra fuel to burn with the crackling. Those all seem to be based on a different ideology than what GM (or Bosch) is doing with these ECUs. Trying to isolate the decel zones in maps is troubling as well, I'm going to need to get out there with the scanner to figure out where the timing and cams are at when decelerating.

I have retarded the timing in the lowest two ranges of the main advance table between 1000 and 5600rpm, and that has resulted in some light crackling when revving and decelerating. So it's a start.

@Deply - I'm going to get together an explanation in the coming weeks. Thanks!
    Any updates???

Potential Tuner
    Hey I'd like to try out your tune but you're running a manual transmission. Mine is Automatic.
    I'll send you my Stock tune. Can you add your tune without changing transmission parameters. Unless you feel they are beneficial.
    I'm currently running a modded tune but don't want to touch it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

just have to command -20 to -30 degrees when you lift no need to mess with dfco or anything else. Now sometimes making it command that low is tricky but I have done this on quite a few now with success and never touch dfco on any of them.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Quote Originally Posted by lt1z350 View Post
    just have to command -20 to -30 degrees when you lift no need to mess with dfco or anything else. Now sometimes making it command that low is tricky but I have done this on quite a few now with success and never touch dfco on any of them.
    Yep figured this out finally!!! i'm getting some nice pops and crackle. I'm currently commanding -15 degrees on decel from 6000-4000rpm. Sounds amazing. Fair warning -24 to - 30 may have your neighbors call the cops on you LOL. Finding the tables were not as straight forward as I thought but ended up finding them.

Thanks LTZ350
    Last edited by Antonats; 06-02-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonats View Post
    Most excellent mod! I too struggle to find decel spark table. If you could help point a direction, would be most grateful!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emily89 View Post
    Most excellent mod! I too struggle to find decel spark table. If you could help point a direction, would be most grateful!!
    Minimum spark table. And a few cells in my main spark table. When you log watch the commanded spark when you let off the throttle after a wot pull. That's how I ended up finding where to tweak. I'm sure there is a better way to do it, and I'm no tuner by far. But logging daily on my 30 minute drive to work has taught me so much with this car. I'm glad I ended up keeping it vs trading it off for a money pit (BMW) lol

Tuner in Training
    Can I ask how you disabled torque shaping on the ltg?

Tuner in Training
    can anyone post a example of his tune ? mine pops only a few times ~1s, tried a -15 timing and -30, -15 noticeable burps but not a lot.
    i have a 200 cell Magnaflow Catted downpipe ( maybe a CAT stop it from good pops ) after down-pipe its straight pipe with a small resonator to kill a rasp ( Vibrant 1792 ).
    how about safety for engine/turbo/exhaust valves ? i think its good when more timing retarding to allow fuel to escape a exhaust valves. but who knows how is it in real world.
    also the pops are sounds to me "dry" more like a "whip sound".
    Last edited by kolyani4; 08-05-2019 at 04:20 PM.

The CAT won't affect it. I'm now fully catted and still good pops. I'm not too comfy posting my tune being that I'm so new and have no clue on long term issues.

by retarding the ignition advance to negative values you are specifically targeting the ignition late enough to burn some fuel in the exhaust port. this causes heat build up in the exhaust. repeated or constant heat abuse (particularly under load - ie: antilag) can cause turbine failure or cat damage.
    thats the long term effect.

Tuner in Training
    but, we didnt do this under load, only on pedal off, so its pretty safe ?
    today i adjusted a main and minimum timing to -15 from 2400 to 3600 RPM on 0,08 to 0,12 airmass, and -30 from 3600 to 6000RPM and now its pops a lot better.
    also its doesnt pop when in 3 and up gear ( auto ), maybe need to late a DFCO somehow, but cant figure how to do that.

yeah its not that harmful. neons been doing it for years