Thread: help 4.6 2v not running in closed loop

Tuner in Training

help 4.6 2v not running in closed loop

4.6 2v and 4R70W trans from 2005 crown vic

Its running off a walbro 255 fuel pump and aeromotive regulator.
    All emissions deleted cats, egr, and as the map sensor is part of the egr system the map sensor is also gone. these motors are mostly maf based anyway and i know my 3v doesnt even have a map at all from the factory.

it has pacesetter long tube headers and an afe cold air intake. internally the motor is totally stock.

I cant seem to figure out why it wont enter closed loop though. could it be something i forgot to set up or disable due to the map being deleted?
    Im new to tuning and ive done my best to set up for return fuel system and ive gotten the maf curve close.. or so i think its close.
    Also the map sensor disabled in the tune the vcm scanner wont show anything more than the rpm. so in the log and tune youll see map enabled.

Im very new to this so any help would be appreciated and please go easy on me!

heres the last tune with the date log
    Attachment 82252Attachment 82253

Tuner in Training
    ??? It goes into closed loop after 7 seconds on your log. Are you running current vcm software?

Tuner in Training
    Oh I thought the long term fuel trims had to be active for closed loop. My long terms won't come on even when enabled in the tune. I apologise for that.
    Does everything look okay for the tune being set up for no map sensor? I have a wideband on order to try and dial this thing in because is seems to lose power and pull timing at certain throttle positions. I figured it was the maf curve being so far out with the better flowing intake/ exhaust.
    Thanks for your time checking that out. Not a lot of Ford tuners around here that will help.

Advanced Tuner
    your long terms are disabled in the tune you posted. You can have CL and no LTFT. A lot of people tune that way.

Can you post the stock tune so we can see what you have changed.

Are you sure this car had a MAP sensor? I've seen some of the older Fords with BARO sensors but not an actual MAP sensor. The later model Fords use the MAF to determine the BARO after going WOT.

Ford does use a DPFE(i think that's right, it's been a long time)that monitors the EGR, which is not a MAP sensor.
    Last edited by Jay@HAP; 08-06-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Im not actually %100 sure if it had a map. just from research i found that people talked about the map being integrated with the egr components. which i deleted.
    I understand the tune seems to run mainly on maf and just reference the map. does that sound correct?
    Im very new to hp tuners and tuning in general so i apologize for the lack of knowledge.
    I did disable the LTFT in the tune just because im trying to follow the correct steps for tuning the maf curve. but even with them enabled they dont show active in the scanner.
    The main reason why i think not having the map may be messing with the tune is because when i give moderate throttle is seems to lose major power almost feels like it missfiring. as the rpms come up i can give more throttle without it missing and losing power.
    My second thought is the fueling being way off.

Ive disabled LTFT and since that ive also tried disabling the DFCO to better correct the STFT error. Im afraid of getting it too lean though so ive got a wideband coming.
    Im hoping i can wire the wideband into the pcm through the a/c pressure switch and then configure that in the scanner. (I dont have the pro interface)

I appreciate you guys taking the time to review my stuff.
    Ive attached a copy of the stock tune.Attachment 82359

Tuner in Training
    Unless your car is moderate to heavily modified ( Supercharger, Turbo, intake-heads-cam combos) there is no need to mess with the MAF curve as you can end up with big problems, part-throttle drivability being the main one. I did notice one change though that may be contributing to your issue. Under fuel/Oxygen sensors/learning max TPS I see you've set this to 100% when in the stock tune it is set at 49%. You already have the master switch for LTFT turned off which effectively disables it. What I'd do, is set the learning max TPS back to 49% and put the MAF calibration back to stock. At your car's modification level, I would focus more on adding some more timing until you start seeing knock detection then back off.

Tuner in Training
    Okay that makes sense
    I installed the wideband yesterday and the fueling actually seems to be very very close. It's a tiny bit on the lean side sometimes it will hit 15:1
    I'm gonna put the maf to stock and the learning to 49% and see how it all is.

I was expecting to see the fueling way off.
    I'm also going to try and change out the coils and spark plugs because I tried to save a few bucks by using the ones from the donor car. At this point if it's not the tune causing my problem maybe it needs a tune up? Worth a shot I think.
    Thanks for your help I'll post how it all goes later

Tuner in Training
    Okay so I've got the tune all figured out.
    I checked the learning settings and it was actually set to 49. The stock value is 100 so I set that back to 100.
    I did also set the maf back to stock and tried to drive the truck but it was dangerously lean so I added fuel back into it and got a pretty smooth curve.
    With the new wideband I was able to see that with my maf adjusted that it would only lean out when the engine would see load and that's what been causing it to fall on its face.
    I suspect this is likely due to not having the map sensor anymore.
    So after that I was looking at some of the changes made on another truck of mine that a tuning shop had tuned for me. This truck is similar but with the addition of camshaft and a higher stall converter.
    I noticed they had adjusted the cylair multipliers. All I know about the cylair multipliers and filters is that Ford uses them to somehow calculate the airmass in the cylinders.
    So I tried adjusting those for my 78 and actually got my truck to stay at about 13:1 under heavy load.
    It drives night and day now.

If this isn't the proper way of doing it please let me know but it's definitely the best it's driven yet and the air fuel stays safe now under all throttle positions.