Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: school me on ford idle tuning

Potential Tuner
    HI Txtailtorcher, anyway you could post your tune, it sure would help me in creating mine.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    Which tables are you guys talking about being mislabeled? It's helpful to include the actual table #.

I have tables for both airflow rate (lb/min) against rpm, and also throttle angle against airflow:

Attachment 83011
    44242 on mine, but remember it's GT500, which is somewhat different
    44239 does nothing on mine.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    I have mine idling perfectly, coming to idle perfectly, and driving really smooth now, all adjusting is done with the main torque table.
    In a nutshell, if the timing is going really low, & throttle is shutting, lower torque values, & vice versa, really simple.
    Are you adjusting it all through table 38100?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleek98 View Post
    Are you adjusting it all through table 38100?
    The torque table, whatever that one is, I'm not in front of the software at the moment.

Advanced Tuner
    Some of you guys mods require torque table adjustment and the problem can be within in those tables. NA cars will have rough idle after something simple like installing a cold air. I fix it by adjusting driver demand, Etc area and predicted throttle angle of the throttle body model.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    Some of you guys mods require torque table adjustment and the problem can be within in those tables. NA cars will have rough idle after something simple like installing a cold air. I fix it by adjusting driver demand, Etc area and predicted throttle angle of the throttle body model.
    are you saying that you use DD and ETC to control oscillations instead of the TQ tables in boosted applications?

Advanced Tuner
    I'm saying there's his way, your way, my way. There's so many ways to get these cars to run right. A bone stock car can run pefect with their torque tables 30+ percent higher than they're actually at. But parts of the calculation gets altered wrong and you run into problems.

I can see that the throttle body model is one reason why this car is oscillating at idle.

Try changing the idle areas of your throttle body models to this. You really need to at ETC Area, ETC Vacuum and Throttle Angle Error to your channels when having throttle body issues. Datalog this and see how your car reacts.
    IDLE.JPG

After you try that, you can try changing your indicated torque models to look similar as the pic below and calculate the inverse of them.
    indicatedtorque-1.JPG

If that don't work, you can change the value of load the car thinks it's making at a particular torque number. Everything is calculated. These aren't true numbers, everything from torque, to load, to area, to MAP, to your MAF lbs per minute. I've had my driver demand's highest value in the table at 430ft lbs with ETC Request on my datalog still requesting 500+.

Advanced Tuner
    Here's an example for driver demand if it helps at all

driverdemand.JPG

Advanced Tuner
    Very interesting. I hadn't thought of it that way, I've been using a method I came up with that works very well but you've got me interested in this. I'll have to play around with the shop car and test some things out.