Thread: Any idea why wideband won't connect to scanner???

Any idea why wideband won't connect to scanner???

Im trying log my AFR for some VE tuning, but the scanner doesn't seem to read the LM1 WB02??? whats going on?? I've played with the histograms millions of times, set each histogram to use the WB02, and still... even put the WB02 on the chart display and it doesn't work

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have the wideband correctly hooked up to the EIO?
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

yeah it is... i even cut the wire and placed "new" wire into the EIO to make sure there was nothing wrong with the connection wires... but it still isn't working

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

Advanced Tuner
    Which pins are you using for what? Which ones did you hook the Wideband signal into, and which did you hook the ground to? Did you configure the wideband on the table display?
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

ok, the WB signal is the white one and is wired into EIO socket #1 and the copper (ground) is in the EIO socket #5. For the table display no, what i did do though is confgure it in the chart and histograms...

Im going downstairs right now to check if that might work

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

Advanced Tuner
    It has to be in the table display for it to work.

sweet it worked! I have no idea why it deleted it from there... maybe the updated version did it by itself, thanks shifted!

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

Tuner in Training

Sort of the same issue

Ok, so here's an email i've sent around to a few people so i'm sorry if it seems a little confusing to some.

For the record, I have configured my table to include my FJO Wideband, and wrote the config to the MPVI Pro.

QUOTE:

So i've got single channel FJO WB controller with gauge etc. I have tried to contact FJO, but no response or answer on the phone. I've tried all week. Needless to say i'm pretty upset that I cant get this set up.

If you look at the diagram attached, what I did was I took the wire (second from the right in the diagram, long 4 pronged connector) that had the cable hook up that ran to my lap top and connected another cable to it to lengthen it. I was mislead by FJO regarding the connection I was unsure of using, and they told me that in order for me to send A/F info to my EIO interface, it was to go via the 'square' 4 pronged connection on the extreme right of the diagram (with "a-b-c-d" prongs). Well, after tearing my dash apart, I found out that that connection on the extreme right was already in use. I honestly can't remember off hand where it leads to, but i'm sure it's correct, as i followed the instructions carefully when installing.

So I was told by a fellow here locally that is familiar with this sort of operation, and he told me to use the serial interface cable that was just sitting there idle for my laptop (second black connection from the right in diagram). I NEVER used my FJO AFR program for data logging so we connected another serial interface cable to the existing one for length, and stripped the other end so I could wire it to my EIO interface.

So, long story short, we used the live wire from the controller (should be prong "A") and ran it to input "1" on my EIO interface connection and the ground to input "5" on the connector (ground).

So in TRYING to follow the instructions in the help files, I 'read' the VCM, and wrote my new config to the EIO interface unit etc. So, after a few hicups, I've got it working and scanning.

PROBLEM: My AFR on my scanner is showing 10:1......... And that's it. It's just 10 and stays there with no movement whatsoever.

I'm hoping that maybe it's just a simple configuration problem in the software, but I can't figure this out.

Any help would be appreciated...

'UNQUOTE'

Two years, and 10000 dollars later i'm still struggling to tune my setup. I am crying out for help here in any way.

Thanks so much in advance gang.

Ross

EDIT: also attached in an very brief log file while the car was at idle. If you can open it you'll see what I mean about the AFR in the table.
    MP112 conversion.

2000' Grand Prix GTP

I use the FJO Wideband controller with my MPVI Pro also. Using the supplied terminals, install the + wire to A and the - wire to B. These are the 2 empty spots on the black square connector. Then as per the help files attach the + and - wires to pins 1 & 5 at the green MPVI connector. Don't hook anything to the serial cable, this is for the AFR gauge or for using a laptop that has the FJO software.

Russ Kemp

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    I use the FJO Wideband controller with my MPVI Pro also. Using the supplied terminals, install the + wire to A and the - wire to B. These are the 2 empty spots on the black square connector. Then as per the help files attach the + and - wires to pins 1 & 5 at the green MPVI connector. Don't hook anything to the serial cable, this is for the AFR gauge or for using a laptop that has the FJO software.

Russ Kemp

Why put the EIO ground connection to B? I dont own an FJO so I can't be of much help here but from the installation file the A pin on the FJO (Legacy FJO Curve) should go to our pin 1. The D pin (Ground) should go to our pin 5 or 6.

I have to double check with Keith, but I am almost 100% positive we used the old Legacy transfer curve they provided us.

Which brings up another issue. I have no idea what output curves can be programmed on the A/B pins with their configuration software. You guys may want to chime in here and let us know.

-Ken

yes, the old legacy FJO curve is in the software.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    I should probably clarify the connection i'm using presently for output. That being the second from the right in the attached diagram. The connection is named "Port 1" and is the black 4 pronged connector with the 4 pins in line with eachother. Each pin is marked A-B-C-D the same as the one next to it.

This connection is the serial cable port that WAS going to my laptop. I'm wondering now if i'll have to disassemble the other connection to it to see what's attached to.... Next step I guess, if you say that I shouldn't be using the serial port for the AFR output to the HPT.

Also, according to the diagram, D is the ground and A/B are the available outputs. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Tks.

Ross
    Last edited by 2000Falcon; 08-17-2006 at 06:59 PM.
    MP112 conversion.

2000' Grand Prix GTP

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000Falcon
    I should probably clarify the connection i'm using presently for output. That being the second from the right in the attached diagram. The connection is named "Port 1" and is the black 4 pronged connector with the 4 pins in line with eachother. Each pin is marked A-B-C-D the same as the one next to it.

Correct

This connection is the serial cable port that WAS going to my laptop. I'm wondering now if i'll have to disassemble the other connection to it to see what's attached to.... Next step I guess, if you say that I shouldn't be using the serial port for the AFR output to the HPT.

You need the serial port to the PC, but to use with their software configuration utility to program the AFR outputs.

The serial port does NOT go to the EIO A/D input. If you do not have a serial port, you will need a USB to serial port adapter. Again this is only to program the FJO using thier software and you should only have to do this once, then you can disconnect the serial lines to the PC for normal use.

Also, according to the diagram, D is the ground and A/B are the available outputs. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    You have that correct.

-Ken

Pin A of the black square connector goes to A/D input 1. Pin B of the black square connector goes to pin 5 of the MPVI. Insert the FJO sensor to the EIO input 1 of the table display. The serial connector from the FJO controller is NOT used with the MPVI. Pin D of the black square connector goes to the - battery post and pin C goes to the + battery post (I installed a switch inline with a length of wire so the switch is routed through the door jamb) Then just plug the wideband to the connector of the controller. No other connectors are to be used when using the MVPI.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Ok, so I flubbed up big time regarding the output connection from the controller. Sorry about that. I honestly didn't do that part myself, and I suppose that's where a part of the problem comes from.

I understand now I will be wiring from 4 pronged SQUARE connector on the far right of the diargram attached above. It is currently wired to something, and not sure yet what it is, but i'll find out...

Please dont get frustrated with me, but i'm not an electrician here that's for sure. However, Russ, in your above instructions, why should I run pin B to pin 5 of the MPVI, because according to the wiring diagram, pin B is another output channel, and pin 5 is a ground??? I would understand it as running 1 to A and then D to 5..........

FWIW, the controller is in the car, installed with power and ground etc and i've been using my WB now for well over a year. I would have thought that I wouldn't have to run ground from that connection to the frame (ie. battery posts etc.) as mentioned above.

ALSO, on a slightly different note, i'm making up my config file for the controller and i'm wondering if in "ANALOGUE OUTPUT 1" setup the setting should be 0-5V or "Legacy FJO". I honestly can't explain the "Legacy FJO" due to the fact I can't seem to contact FJO to ask them... LOL.

Just looking for further clairification. Thank you both for your great help thus far.

Ross
    Last edited by 2000Falcon; 08-18-2006 at 07:12 AM.
    MP112 conversion.

2000' Grand Prix GTP

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Pin A of the black square connector goes to A/D input 1. Pin B of the black square connector goes to pin 5 of the MPVI.
    I am curious on this as well. While I do not own an FJO to test with, I would have run the ground wire to pin 5 on the EIO.

What am I missing about Pin B here?

-Ken

Pin D of the square connector is the ground for the controller and the heater circuit of the wideband sensor. Pin B is the ground or low circuit for the MVPI.
    Think of this a a redundant ground circuit to help prevent a voltage offset.
    The tech department at FJO explained this to me last spring when I first hooked up the FJO wideband to the EIO. It works just fine!

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Ok guys,,,,,,,,, here we go..

Just took the dash apart and had a good look at the controller and wiring. For starters, the 4 pronged square that I am supposed to tap into, is actually the power for the controller. I'll let the attached pictures to the talking.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...itwithtext.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...itwithtext.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...dhookup012.jpg

The wiring diagram I had attached before was for the duel channel controller, which by the text shown next to the connections on it seems different than how mine is wired. I do know that I followed the instructions pretty darn careful, but that doesn't mean it's not frigged up. Also, as per the photos, I have 3 inputs, MAF, TACH and one other I couldn't trace the wire to.. Sorry, but I haven't used the software since the initial install. That being said, I can't connect to the controller with my laptop either. I'm getting a "Timeout Error". She's frigged.

For the record, the controller, gauges and AFR is all working fine the way it's hooked up now.

I guess maybe what I thought was strictly the power for the controller is an AFR output? That's what the wiring diagram shows in the book (for the duel controller...

Hope this helps us some more.

P.S. For some reason I can't get a hold of FJO, i've been trying all week....

Tks,

Ross
    Last edited by 2000Falcon; 08-18-2006 at 10:30 AM.
    MP112 conversion.

2000' Grand Prix GTP

Tuner in Training
    Just spoke with FJO and they inform me I have a 2nd Gen controller, which means that of the 4 ABCD pins on the square connector, C and D and ignition and ground (power for the controller etc.) and A is Analog output 1 and B is Analog ouput 2.

So i'll be running a wire from A to pin 1, but now the official quesiton is the ground. Will I run a wire from D to 5 for ground? I know Russ you said you run your ground from B, however according to the latest on my controller B is an AUX output.

Also, I will be switching my serial cable port to the port the gauge is running from and i've changed my config file to accomodate this. This is the reason why I couldn't make communication with the controller.

Tks,
    Last edited by 2000Falcon; 08-18-2006 at 11:53 AM.
    MP112 conversion.

2000' Grand Prix GTP

Pin B of the black square connector goes to pin 5 of the MPVI. Why are you trying to hook up the serial cable? That is only for either the FJO AFR gauge or for using the FJO software to run on a laptop with out using the MPVI. Eg. if your using the wideband on some other vehicle that is not supported by HP Tuners or a carburetor. Then you would have to hook up the tach lead, serial cable, to either the AFR gauge or to a laptop to log the AFR. With the MPVI you get the rpm, map etc. from the scanner.

Russ Kemp