Thread: Any room to improve?

Potential Tuner

Any room to improve?

Hey guys. I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 with the 5.3L and a 4l60e. Modifications are CAI, TSP LT headers and TSP 3" off road y pipe, LS6 springs, TSP stage 2 cam, corvette servo. Everything else is stock. The truck drives better than stock and shifts better too,this is the tune I got done at a shop near me. I have since only changed my shift schedule. I was wondering if this tune looks good to you guys or if there is some room to improve. Im regretting not buying a bigger cam. I may put some 4.10's in and do away with the 3.42's to get this thing moving off the line. I am new to HPtuners and am learning something new everyday, looking forward to being able to tune my own vehicles after modifications. Thanks for taking a look and for any input!
    Intake Exhaust

duration .050 212 218
    lobe lift .324 .324
    valve lift @1.7 .550 .550
    lobe separation 112
    intake center line 110

shop tune.hpt

Yeah, it can be worked over.

Typical dyno tune by places that refuse to tune both sides of the airflow model. It was only tuned with the MAF and no VE tuning at all. It's missing out there on a proper airflow model calibration.

Wouldn't be surprised if you are at or super duper close to your injector limit too but need a data log with injector information to confirm.

Power enrichment settings should be changed up some to make it work better for your needs and the rest is could be all in the fine tuning to make it all work together. Data logs of it running and going full throttle are the only real ways to see what needs more work. If you don't have a wideband o2 sensor, you'll need it if you want to do any tuning past part throttle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Yeah, it can be worked over.

Typical dyno tune by places that refuse to tune both sides of the airflow model. It was only tuned with the MAF and no VE tuning at all. It's missing out there on a proper airflow model calibration.

Wouldn't be surprised if you are at or super duper close to your injector limit too but need a data log with injector information to confirm.

Power enrichment settings should be changed up some to make it work better for your needs and the rest is could be all in the fine tuning to make it all work together. Data logs of it running and going full throttle are the only real ways to see what needs more work. If you don't have a wideband o2 sensor, you'll need it if you want to do any tuning past part throttle.
    Well that is frustrating. Thanks for taking the time to take a look. How do I hook up the wideband up to my mvpi2?

Potential Tuner
    here is a little bit of logging from this morning, i just got the injector duty to work this morning after some googling. You were correct about the duty being about maxed out. driving and full throttle pull.hpllight driving.hpl

At the moment the MPVI2 can't have a wideband "plugged" into it, they haven't released that feature yet. You can wire the wideband into the trucks EGR 5v circuit in the computer though. Very simple setup with a few threads floating around and a few youtube video's on how to set it all up. VCM scanner section in the stickys has something there too.

Yeah, the injectors are close but if don't add any more power, they will be fine for now. 90-95% is pretty much where you need to stop. Over all fuel trims are okay except for some random parts where they move around alot, in time those can be straighten out.

Going off memory from this computer try changing your power enrichment settings like this if they aren't this way. Set the MAP kpa enable to 75-80kpa, lower the enable torque to like 80%. Set both the hot/cold pedal enable to like 60-65% instead of 90%. Set the enrichment ramp in rate to 2.000. You could also under torque mngt I think it's called like ETC Limits and the table called ETC TPS MAX, set the whole table to 100%. That table can limit how quickly the throttle blade can open.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the input. I made those changes in the tune but havent got to test it out due to rain. I got everything else changed if it wasnt there already. I wonder if they have an eta on the wideband for the mvpi2, i may just go ahead and get me a wideband set up so i can get the ball rolling on getting this thing tuned up better. I appreciate the help. Ill keep reading up and studying on here and youtube for sure.
    Last edited by codered161; 08-13-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Is there a certain wideband setup you would recommend?

Tuner in Training
    Ballenger Motorsports AFR500v2 seems to be a favorite and would be my choice today, for the price. I bought daytona sensors but kinda wish I had got this one instead. It comes with the NTK sensor which is a tinge slower on response but much more durable long term. The ballenger is made by ECM which is a maker of the very best equipment even for the big oem's in their labs.

just for variety I'd like to toss in a votes, one for AEM wideband. $160-$170 and I've used countless installations and never had an issue when you follow the instructions which say to place the sensor a good distance from the turbo. Its a very basic entry level sensor setup which also responds FAST and is very accurate.
    They respond FAST and start up FAST which is critical to me, I am so used to it that I can't use anything even a tad bit slower, it drives me crazy. Speaking of which...

a vote against innovative. I've tried Innovative and had friends who also have, and found it to be extremely slow, slow to start, slow to adjust, slow to swing. and I've seen them fail electronically due to poorly designed circuitry.