Thread: Drive - Reverse delay?

Drive - Reverse delay?

I looked through the HPTuners parameters for several Fords with automatics, and couldn't find the transmission tables that control the delay for shifting from Drive to Reverse or vice versa. There are settings for an Idle delay, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't control how fast/slow the transmission shifts between those gears. On the 6F55 in the Fusion Sport, it takes way too long for it to shift between Drive and Reverse to the point that I can go WOT (no joke, WOT) and it takes the engine about 2-3 seconds to react slowly.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by metroplex; 08-17-2018 at 03:21 AM.

With the SCT Advantage software, I was able to adjust this delay on the 4R70W and I think 5R55S. But HPTuners doesn't seem to have this setting defined, or maybe Ford no longer uses this delay for their transmissions???

Luckily I had some older Ford tunes from the repository for the 4R70W and 5R55S, and those same values are the ones under the Idle tab - but they don't seem to do anything for the 6F55. I talked to another tune who deals primarily with the 6R80 and he said none of the HPTuners settings worked for him to reduce that delay on the 6R80.

I'm thinking Ford went to a different set of parameters for this delay, and that HPTuners doesn't have it defined?

Potential Tuner
    Let me preface what I'm about to say with: I don't fully know what some of the short hand abbreviations under the Transmission tab mean.

That being said...the 1X->R1 tables (Trans>Shift Properties>Adaptive) under both the initial and overall slip time sections sure have some large numbers therefore large amounts of slip being commanded.

Stock overall slip for 1X-R1 was 820 ms or so, and I reduced that to 400 ms. It seems to feel better, I probably should have gone even lower. I'm going to keep testing it out for a few days.

BTW I found the Gear Display table, and enabled it for Drive and Sport mode. Now it shows the gear # all the time instead of only when manually shifting. This isn't mandatory but it is something I always wanted. Not all Ford automatics have this table. I think it is mainly the 6F55 and 6R80. The 2018 2.3 EcoBoost Mustang with 10R80 has it, but not the GT's or F-series with 10R80. The trucks seem to have the manual and low modes enabled from the factory, and the Eco Mustang has it enabled for Drive and Sport mode.

Nothing seems to work. I spoke with another local tuner and he said he pretty much gave up as none of the settings would work. It must be an internal transmission control module setting.