Thread: 6.7 fuel timing

Advanced Tuner

6.7 fuel timing

The Negative timing values in the cruising range is what i want to address here. Is this just to help quiet the engine or is this really the best for fuel economy? i want to increase fuel economy. Figured timing would be the best place to start. Attached is what i have already done so far.

2017 6.7 Diesel.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    This has been a big help guys thank you. Off subject, what would be a good forum to join for questions like these?

I'm with ya man! I am curious to know anything about diesel tuning so if you happen to find anything on this subject please let me know!

Advanced Tuner
    I will man. Maybe we should post questions on the gm side.

Quote Originally Posted by reubone View Post
    The Negative timing values in the cruising range is what i want to address here. Is this just to help quiet the engine or is this really the best for fuel economy? i want to increase fuel economy. Figured timing would be the best place to start. Attached is what i have already done so far.

2017 6.7 Diesel.hpt
    I'm pretty sure any ATDC timing is for emissions reasons, not noise or fuel economy.

Advanced Tuner
    Ahh true. Has anyone seen if the is a fuel mileage benefit to advancing timing here? One would assume there would be.

Quote Originally Posted by reubone View Post
    Ahh true. Has anyone seen if the is a fuel mileage benefit to advancing timing here? One would assume there would be.
    With gas engines you can lean it out during curse and stick in some timing to make up for the "lack of power" from leaning it out. Now i haven't a clue what timing values should be or what the change should be.

Advancing the timing will create more cylinder pressure for a given amount of fuel. This will mean less fuel is needed for a given output. Going to far however can create excess cylinder pressure and cause the peak pressure to occurred BTDC which will reduce output. I would set timing to a couple degrees BTDC but I don't have experience tuning with emissions on so it might cause issues with the after treatment system. Most likely excess def usage.