Thread: DTC No Error Reported, SES Off. The DTC code is still pulled when scanned

Tuner in Training

DTC No Error Reported, SES Off. The DTC code is still pulled when scanned

I have a Cadillac SRX with codes P0036, P0138, P0140 & P0141 set to No SES checked, and No error reported.
    When the car is running there is no light on the dash, but using the scanner it pulls the error codes still. Any idea what is causing these codes to act in this manner?

If the code says "permanent" after it, it never goes away.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Just to add to this. If whatever the problem was that caused it in the first place is fixed. It will go away after a few trips to the store or something. It's just that "permanent" codes can't be cleared like regular codes are. The ECU needs time to see that the problem is gone.

Tuner in Training
    That would make sense. But would the drag car with no emissions not return the same "Permanent" code? I have no rear O2's in this car and it never sends a DTC code like the SRX.

Advanced Tuner
    2010+ GM ECMs have permanent codes. 2009 and earlier do not. Guessing that your "drag car" runs an older ECM.

Tuner in Training
    That would explain it. with the code present but not reporting will it cause any issues with inspections?

Maybe, it may show up with a good scanner.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I would like to follow up on this if that is ok.
    Currently I have : P0096 Intake air temperature sensor 2 Cicuit Range/performance (Permanent)
    P0034B Crankshaft Position Sensor - Crankshaft Direction incorrect(Permanent)
    P0420 Catalyst System efficiency Below Treshold (Bank 1)(Permanent)

I replaced the MAF sensor and the Crankshaft position sensor but after some short drives the codes are still there..
    I can read temp sensor1 and 2 just fine in the scanner, al sensors work. The Crankshaft position sensor can not be checked so i replaced it.
    I deleted the CAT's on my car and set P0420 to no error reported and SES off but it does not change a thing.

Am I right to think there are no current problems because (CURRENT) is not marked with the Errors?

Thanks to anyone who can make things clear for us!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    What's the point in the editing software if it cannot be overridden?
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Quote Originally Posted by * _ * View Post
    What's the point in the editing software if it cannot be overridden?
    Editing it in the software can turn off the light, but it can not make the code not report "Permanent". It's not a bug or problem, it's just the way it is...

Here is a little more information on Permanent DTCs in the first post:

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post461354

Advanced Tuner
    I was always understanding that if the code is set to not hard fault a CEL, then its function was disabled as well?

How would this impact built in options such as remote starting if the fault was set to trigger a light?
    Most vehicles disable those options when theres a fault identified.

Advanced Tuner
    I was always understanding that if the code is set to not hard fault a CEL, then its function was disabled as well?
    Only with older operating systems. See post #5 above.

Beginning in 2010, GM “hard coded” some diagnostics (i.e. permanent codes). This may have been in response to emissions fraud, warranty fraud, or just the first step in what seems like their goal of curtailing aftermarket programming.

The new ACDelco TDS system is a direct stab at the aftermarket, making things very difficult for companies that supply wiring harnesses and controllers.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    Only with older operating systems. See post #5 above.

Beginning in 2010, GM ?hard coded? some diagnostics (i.e. permanent codes). This may have been in response to emissions fraud, warranty fraud, or just the first step in what seems like their goal of curtailing aftermarket programming.

The new ACDelco TDS system is a direct stab at the aftermarket, making things very difficult for companies that supply wiring harnesses and controllers.
    The purpose of HPT is to overcome those instances & is why I bought the software. Had I known that HPT would not go that deep for performance & off-road use tuning, I'd opt to have someone execute what is needed done regarding software changes.

Thanks for chiming in tho.

Advanced Tuner
    The purpose of HPT is to overcome those instances & is why I bought the software. Had I known that HPT would not go that deep for performance & off-road use tuning, I'd opt to have someone execute what is needed done regarding software changes.

No tuning software can alter the permanent DTCs of the late model controllers. This is a well discussed subject. Perhaps if you had done some research, and asked a few questions prior to making a purchase, your expectations would have been more enlightened.

Just so you know, HPT is about the most robust commercial tuning software available.

This would require basically a custom modified operating system just to do, and it'd be specifically for emissions deletion purposes. It'd be illegal to do so on any registered vehicle.
    Permanent codes clear themselves, no tool magically clears them. By definition they were designed to prevent people from clearing emissions related DTCs just to pass a test.

If you're tuning an off-road application, disable them, it'll stay permanent but no light. You wont pass an emissions check, but you're off-road so that's fine right?

The only other valid reason for disabling them would be to cheat emissions tests. It should be obvious why we don't expend the effort here as such.
    If its not broke, just give it time.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@HPTuners View Post
    This would require basically a custom modified operating system just to do, and it'd be specifically for emissions deletion purposes. It'd be illegal to do so on any registered vehicle.
    Permanent codes clear themselves, no tool magically clears them. By definition they were designed to prevent people from clearing emissions related DTCs just to pass a test.

If you're tuning an off-road application, disable them, it'll stay permanent but no light. You wont pass an emissions check, but you're off-road so that's fine right?

The only other valid reason for disabling them would be to cheat emissions tests. It should be obvious why we don't expend the effort here as such.
    I thought that as long as the fault was recognized by the pcm, it would influence the performance aspects of the vehicle?
    Last edited by * _ *; 08-31-2018 at 05:01 AM.

I thought that as long as the fault was recognized by the pcm, it would influence the performance aspects of the vehicle?
    If the code is marked as "Permanent" only and not "Pending", "Current" or both along with "Permanent", then it's not actually an active fault in the PCM.

This would be the same as if you had a code, fixed the issue, and cleared the code using a scan tool. The code would still show as "Permanent" only for a few drive cycles.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@HPTuners View Post
    If the code is marked as "Permanent" only and not "Pending", "Current" or both along with "Permanent", then it's not actually an active fault in the PCM.

This would be the same as if you had a code, fixed the issue, and cleared the code using a scan tool. The code would still show as "Permanent" only for a few drive cycles.
    This answers for the diagnostic side of things, thanks for making that clear.