Thread: Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L tune for new cam LS3 Stage 3 Supercharged Cam

Potential Tuner

Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L tune for new cam LS3 Stage 3 Supercharged Cam

Hello, I'm new to tuning and the forum. I'm helping my 17 year son who is finishing up putting in a Texas Speed LS3 Stage 3 Supercharged Camshaft 231/239, .640/.629, 115 LSA, 112 ICL, 3 bolt core with .660 Dual Vale Springs into his 2009 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L. The only other changes he's done are muffler delete and a k&n air filter in the stock air box. The tune only has the DOD disabled in the tune and the rest is stock. I need some serious help with what to change in the tune for this cam so not to cause any damage to it or anything else. His plans are to add supercharger later, along with other updates, but not for sometime. I've attached his current tune and welcome any advise or if someone has a tune for this application, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could share. Thank you
    Attached Files Attached Files

In simple terms, everything is custom to the vehicle/engine.

No "canned" tune or someone elses tune file will work for what you have done.

You'll need to read up on tuning airflow tables and fueling along with how the timing functions work. Getting the airflow model corrected for the camshaft cam is one of the main things to tackle. Then you can dial in idle airflow and so on to get start up and idle working right. It's a process to get cold starts and hot starts down. Transmission settings will likely need addressing too because of the added power just so everything jives together and that is a whole other thing to learn on the complicated 6L80e transmissions.

You'll need a wideband o2 sensor for tuning as well. I highly suggest buying books or taking a course for new people, just so you get an idea of what you are getting yourself into. There is the tuning school or places like ERM Performance that offer good course for a great price.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Regarding books: the ones by Greg Banish and Dan Maslic are low-cost entry points, and they will teach you the language so you can understand what the heck all this stuff means. If you happen to have a technical or engineering background, all the better.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    In simple terms, everything is custom to the vehicle/engine.

No "canned" tune or someone elses tune file will work for what you have done.

You'll need to read up on tuning airflow tables and fueling along with how the timing functions work. Getting the airflow model corrected for the camshaft cam is one of the main things to tackle. Then you can dial in idle airflow and so on to get start up and idle working right. It's a process to get cold starts and hot starts down. Transmission settings will likely need addressing too because of the added power just so everything jives together and that is a whole other thing to learn on the complicated 6L80e transmissions.

You'll need a wideband o2 sensor for tuning as well. I highly suggest buying books or taking a course for new people, just so you get an idea of what you are getting yourself into. There is the tuning school or places like ERM Performance that offer good course for a great price.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the replies. I hope to do something over the winter more in-depth. For now, I only have limited time.

I really only need some base advice on what to change after the cam change to keep the car from stalling. I don?t need max hp or best performance, just need to have it start, run and be able to drive normal. We plan to bring it to a professional tuner, but in the mean time would like to get it running with out damaging it and check it all over to make sure nothings leaking. Then schedule it to be turned.

Any advice or help appreciated.

Thank you

It will run and drive if you did nothing.

Just doing more than that is asking too much without going over everything. You can't really make a lot of changes without fixing the airflow model, because if you do hunt and peak at stuff with the airflow/fueling off it might throw it even more out of whack.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Best thing you can do since you have the software is to read, research and apply. I was in your same boat but this forum has plenty of info to help you do things correctly. Be diligent take your time and don’t be afraid to ask Questions. Like 5FDP said there are classes to take and some good books.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you