Thread: So I?ve searched and I?m not certain of the answers I?ve found

Potential Tuner

So I?ve searched and I?m not certain of the answers I?ve found

Okay, so I?ve done some research and have come to the conclusion that I want to use the following:

1. Track Addict Pro
    2. RaceRender Advanced
    3. GoPro 6
    4. Dual XGPS 160

I?m planning on using this on my I7 jesusPhone. Keeping in mind that I?m no technical genius, I?ve got questions:

• I?m hazy about how both the GPS and app connect to the phone (I assume) simultaneously so that everything is sync?d up. Is this a thing, or what am I missing?
    • Does anyone have any experience inputting an external tach signal? This is a OBD-0 car (?90 Miata, if it matters.)
    • I?d be recording this on a jesusPhone and then downloading the data to my Windows laptop for further review and use. Is there any compatibility issue?

Thanks in advance -
    Last edited by wreckerboy; 08-21-2018 at 11:00 AM.

The GPS will connect via Bluetooth, while the GoPro is WiFi. Your phone can connect to multiple Bluetooth devices (although this may limit throughput in some cases), but only one WiFi network. So, if you were to ever add an OBD device, you'd want a Bluetooth one. Be sure to test all of this before you need to depend on it... This will ensure that everything is paired up and working correctly. In the case of WiFi devices, you may need to manually open your phone's Settings app and select the WiFi network to use, especially if you have other known networks nearby.

Unfortunately, there's not a good way at this time to get RPM or other data from pre-OBD2 vehicles.

Videos and data recorded by TrackAddict for iOS or Android should work well with RaceRender on Windows or Mac. The only exception is that Windows 7 is a bit lacking on media support (can't do larger than 1080p, or some audio codecs), so the workaround is to have Apple's free QuickTime 7 player installed and use the 32-bit version of RaceRender, which can use its decoders; this is not an issue for Windows 8.1 or 10. I typically transfer a session to a computer using the WiFi Transfer feature, or will use the USB option if I have a bunch of files to do.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the quick response.

Last question - when I purchase the software, is it a license that allows me to install it on multiple devices or is limited per device? For example, I’d want to put TrackAddict on my phone initially but might want to move it to a smaller iPad, such as a dedicated mini in the future as a race car is a harsh environment for a phone.

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckerboy View Post
    Thanks for the quick response.

Last question - when I purchase the software, is it a license that allows me to install it on multiple devices or is limited per device? For example, I’d want to put TrackAddict on my phone initially but might want to move it to a smaller iPad, such as a dedicated mini in the future as a race car is a harsh environment for a phone.

TIA.
    It's licensed per individual App Store account, so if your iPad is using the same Apple account as your phone, then you should have access to it on both devices.