Thread: VCM,ECU,ECM swap problem re writing

Potential Tuner

VCM,ECU,ECM swap problem re writing

Hi All,

My first post

I have a question I hope it's not to hard to sort out I have a VZ commodore my original (VCM,ECU,ECM same thing depends what you call it!) has issues so I am trying to swap it with a replacement (VCM,ECU,ECM) I have read both (VCM,ECU,ECM) and saved them to my laptop with no problems, the way I did the job was I downloaded the VCM,ECU,ECM data off both and used paid license (see pictures) with the VCM editor

keys pic.PNG

here is the information from both VCM,ECU,ECM
    vz ute ecu details.PNG
    VCM,ECU,ECM No1 the one with problem!

vz sedan ecu details.PNG
    VCM,ECU,ECM No2

this is the issue when I go to write the data I saved from VCM,ECU,ECM No1 to VCM,ECU,ECM No2 I get an error (unlicensed vehicle) . See Picture Below

error.PNG

I can't work out why?? shouldn't this be simple! Please help!
    Last edited by Madmatt2006; 08-24-2018 at 04:17 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    are you trying to write an 06 file to an 05 ecm or something? Either way I suggest opening a ticket with support as this doesn't appear to be something we can determine what the issue is via a few forum posts.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Hi Bill

Thanks for the reply, Yes I am trying to write an 06 file to an 05 ecm. Is that a problem? they are same hardware version and O/S I'm very new to this software HP Tuners. I basically want to clone/copy my old ecm as it has issues.

from reading the manual it basically says to read both ECM and save so the ECM get licensed. I did that then I try to load the saved data from original ECM 06 to new ECM 05 using VCM editor.

can this process be done with HP tuner tool? https://www.tat.net.au/scandata/wiki...secondhand_ECU

can I do this with the HP tuners software? is there a manual to show how to do this, I'd imagine many people would be doing this. Any advice would be much appreciated. I am happy to answer any questions and provide any information needed.

If we can workout this problem would be better to share the information than opening a ticket, I noticed in a lot of posts that is done, but that only helps the end user if they don't post back solution. I like to solve and share information for everyone that's what a forum is for!!
    Last edited by Madmatt2006; 08-24-2018 at 05:13 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    yeah flashing files from different vehicles can cause major issues and is certainly not recommended. My advice would be to use our program as intended which is you read the ecm, you license the ecm as it sits, you use that file you read from the ecm to make your changes & flash back to the vehicle. Any other way is not recommended and you are on your own when issues arise in doing so.

Advanced Tuner
    While he is on his 9wn is the error due to the vin in the file he is trying to flash? Would it work if he changed the vin to the one in the pcm?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben C View Post
    While he is on his 9wn is the error due to the vin in the file he is trying to flash? Would it work if he changed the vin to the one in the pcm?
    Impossible to tell from just a few screenshots unfortunately.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben C View Post
    Hi Ben,

I thought this also, I even looked up how to do it see here https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_ed...change_vin.htm but the option is not in my flash menu. I thought I could change the VIN to suit rest of my computers then flash new ECM with old ECM data.. if ECM hardware version and software are the same why would it not work!

I even checked manual before purchase of HP Tuners. After reading manual I figured I could read original ECM and save then change vin on replacement ECM and write original ECM data to replacement ECM. But it don't work..... Sound simple but obviously not.

I just want my car to run. If it's not possible with this program I may as well give up and find a proper tool for this..

also the ECM are both from VZ commodore with same engines and sensors same hardware version same software version only difference is auto manual.
    Last edited by Madmatt2006; 08-25-2018 at 05:07 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmatt2006 View Post
    Hi Ben,

I thought this also, I even looked up how to do it see here https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_ed...change_vin.htm but the option is not in my flash menu. I thought I could change the VIN to suit rest of my computers then flash new ECM with old ECM data.. if ECM hardware version and software are the same why would it not work!

I even checked manual before purchase of HP Tuners. After reading manual I figured I could read original ECM and save then change vin on replacement ECM and write original ECM data to replacement ECM. But it don't work..... Sound simple but obviously not.

I just want my car to run. If it's not possible with this program I may as well give up and find a proper tool for this..

also the ECM are both from VZ commodore with same engines and sensors same hardware version same software version only difference is auto manual.
    There are only maybe 3% of the total vehicles that we support that you can change vin's on, that help file was made when we only supported LS1 GM's, personally I would prefer we remove the vin changing all together but those 3% that it works on would probably make a stink so it'll stay in there.

Potential Tuner
    Hi guy's I got a friend to do it all with his scan tool all worked well.

Potential Tuner

Smile your answer

Quote Originally Posted by Madmatt2006 View Post
    Hi All,

My first post

I have a question I hope it's not to hard to sort out I have a VZ commodore my original (VCM,ECU,ECM same thing depends what you call it!) has issues so I am trying to swap it with a replacement (VCM,ECU,ECM) I have read both (VCM,ECU,ECM) and saved them to my laptop with no problems, the way I did the job was I downloaded the VCM,ECU,ECM data off both and used paid license (see pictures) with the VCM editor

keys pic.PNG

here is the information from both VCM,ECU,ECM
    vz ute ecu details.PNG
    VCM,ECU,ECM No1 the one with problem!

vz sedan ecu details.PNG
    VCM,ECU,ECM No2

this is the issue when I go to write the data I saved from VCM,ECU,ECM No1 to VCM,ECU,ECM No2 I get an error (unlicensed vehicle) . See Picture Below

error.PNG

I can't work out why?? shouldn't this be simple! Please help!
    I know this is and old thread but may help someone in the future.
    The best way to swap an ECU on a VZ is to swap out the ECU with a matching BCM. (plug and play) and PIM (Powertrain Interface Module) all from the same level trim (Low, Mid, High)
    You also need the key (FOB not mechanical key)
    If you don't do the above you will get a conflict in communication generally from the ABS module.
    But you must follow the below.
    Swap from an identical vehicle.
    Same engine which is identified by a label on the rear left had side.
    Same transmission
    Same ECU ID which is on the label on the ECU (tag number)
    BCM from same vehicle.
    you do need a matching key
    Once you have done the above it will start and run with the factroy tune etc.
    Then you can go in with credits only for the new one and change the VIN.

Last edited by PeterT; 09-08-2021 at 01:00 PM.