Thread: External GPS questions

Potential Tuner

External GPS questions

I am currently trying to set my software up to recognize the external GPS I purchased. Per the directions I have:

Selected GPS ENHANCED under Setup Options.
    On the home screen in the app the system is indicating the GPS signal is good.

When I try to add a new track and set a start/finish line via the Set Point Here function I get an error message telling me that it is not seeing a GPS signal. The only way around that seems to be to turn on the phone?s internal GPS.

1. Is this correct?
    2. Which GPS signal is the system using for data collection and analysis? The phone?s or the external source?

I am using a I7 with Dual XGPS160 and Track Addict Pro.

The app will prefer the enhanced XGPS160 data when available, but some functions may do a check on the overall status of your phone's location services, so that might be what you're seeing happen. When you're connected to an XGPS160, the data being provided via iOS location services will typically be from the XGPS anyway, just not at 10 Hz.

The normal mode of operation is to have the phone's location services turned on and available while you are using the bluetooth GPS, and it can then try to fall back to using the phone GPS if the bluetooth GPS is not available or not yet ready. You'll know that the XGPS160 is successfully connected in enhanced mode because the app's GPS status indicator will show a sample rate around 9-10 Hz (it's typically really 10, but some timing delays may sometimes make it look like 9). You can also tap on it for more info.