Thread: Wrangler throttle delay or torque reduction?

Tuner in Training

Wrangler throttle delay or torque reduction?

Hi, the subject vehicle is a 2013 Wrangler with the 3.6l and NAG1 transmission. The vehicle goes into a torque reduction or safety mode when you shift into either R or D and immediately apply throttle. The motor will rev slightly, (2000rpm or so) then just maintain that rpm and kill power for about 7/10 of a second. THEN it will apply power and accelerate. This is very pronounced in low range. This is common to all 2012-2016 wranglers that I have tested. I want to eliminate this torque reduction to allow instant gear apply and power apply. I have turned off all torque management items that I can find in the editor, and have turned off traction control via the scanner. Is there any way to eliminate or reduce this function?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by raceplayhavefun View Post
    Hi, the subject vehicle is a 2013 Wrangler with the 3.6l and NAG1 transmission. The vehicle goes into a torque reduction or safety mode when you shift into either R or D and immediately apply throttle. The motor will rev slightly, (2000rpm or so) then just maintain that rpm and kill power for about 7/10 of a second. THEN it will apply power and accelerate. This is very pronounced in low range. This is common to all 2012-2016 wranglers that I have tested. I want to eliminate this torque reduction to allow instant gear apply and power apply. I have turned off all torque management items that I can find in the editor, and have turned off traction control via the scanner. Is there any way to eliminate or reduce this function?
    Its not the same vehicle but I get the exact same issue you describe with the ZF 9 Speed in both my 2014 and 2016 Cherokee 3.2L, From the logs i've done (and i'm rather new) in my case the vehicle is pulling timing until it really "takes off" above 2000rpm. Acceleration in gear below 2000rpm is dull and feels like the engine has 1/3 the power it should

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
    Its not the same vehicle but I get the exact same issue you describe with the ZF 9 Speed in both my 2014 and 2016 Cherokee 3.2L, From the logs i've done (and i'm rather new) in my case the vehicle is pulling timing until it really "takes off" above 2000rpm. Acceleration in gear below 2000rpm is dull and feels like the engine has 1/3 the power it should
    Sounds similar. I haven't found the exact cause yet, but seems to be some sort of power reduction situation.

Potential Tuner
    Any update on this? I am having a similar issue when in low range trying to climb. Throttle becomes unresponsive and feels like traction control is enabled. The exhaust sound even changes like it is cutting out a cylinder or changing the timing.

Potential Tuner
    Hi, I'm new to this forum regarding the Jeep. They found some problem I would appreciate your help

Tuner in Training
    Check your GS Torque Reduction table values. You can reduce them a bit to see if that helps.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by richhurley View Post
    Check your GS Torque Reduction table values. You can reduce them a bit to see if that helps.
    @richhurley what are the GS Torque Reduction table vals? I don't see this specific set of tables on my '15 JKU

Tuner

Tuner
    mine is a 13 / manual , similar issues. had a friend get into mine before i had hp tuners. heres what we came up with. traction control still has control of brakes but not throttle. hope it helps
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
    Thanks! I will take a look in there later this morning when I hook up my Windows machine. (Really wish they had a Mac version of the software since it is my primary )