Thread: 2006 5.9 Idle Speed

Potential Tuner

2006 5.9 Idle Speed

Does anyone know if there is a bug with the idle speed setting table on a 2006 5.9? I am trying to lower my idle speed from the stock 750 to somewhere closer to 625. I adjusted the minimum setpoint, the baro and the ect table and it still idles at 750.

Does rescaling the table work? Does the ECM "see" the scale and go off of it? The stock scale is weird, jumping from 68 degrees to 220 degrees. At first I adjusted the scaling of the ect table, but when my idle speed didn't change i put it back to the stock scale and set the idle to be 625 between 60 and 220.

Thanks for any help!

Derrick

Banned
    Adjust min allowable idle setpoint

Banned
    Don?t know what it?s called in HP Tuners, don?t use it, but in UDC it?s called Idle RPM min and must be equal to or less than your idle setpoint. If you want your idle at 625 then set both idle setpoint and idle minimum setpoint to 625. Don?t know why you?d want idle down that low though, no point

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Don?t know what it?s called in HP Tuners, don?t use it, but in UDC it?s called Idle RPM min and must be equal to or less than your idle setpoint. If you want your idle at 625 then set both idle setpoint and idle minimum setpoint to 625. Don?t know why you?d want idle down that low though, no point
    I do have the both the min idle rpm and the idle set point changed. At least I'm pretty sure I do. Here is a screen shot of my idle settings...

idlespeed.jpg

As far as what I want to set my idle too, isn't it a to each his own? I'm a heavy truck mechanic most hours of my life. These motors in bigger trucks (med duty freightliners, kenworths, etc.) if you push the cruise control + or - while the master cruise switch is in the off position it adjusts the idle speed. Usually from 600 to 800 rpm you can set it anywhere between in 25rpm intervals. This is completely separate from the pto idle option you engage with the cruise master switch on. I like my idle speed a little lower, less pull when you let off the brake with the automatic. Any time I'm gonna be leaving the truck run I up the rpm with the pto idle option anyway so I'm not worried about washing down the walls with low cylinder temps.

Do you know if the computer "sees" the adjustment when I rescale a map?

Thanks for the advice!

Derrick

Banned
    No argument there on to each his own, for myself I don?t see the point. AC does function better at a higher idle rpm though. If you rescale a sensor or map absolutely the ecm sees it, it?s programmed in, it uses the axis for its interpolation