Thread: 2017 raptor 20-19 psi

2017 raptor 20-19 psi

So im working on a 2017 3.5 raptor. We did bolt ons consisting of upgraded intercooler, turbosmart bov, turbo adapters, s&b intake. I got it to hold 19 psi of boost throughout the whole pull but the issue I'm seeing is that it lost around 20-40 hp above 5400 as compared to the tune where I had less psi. I'm still seeing combustion stability and tip desired is below actual. lower limits was my first pull and injector timing was my other pull where I got more psi but lost top end horsepower. I'm starting to believe these trucks don't like that much psi. saw a max of 443 hp sae
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2017 mustang gt

so after increasing the inverse torque loads the bottom 3 rows upwards of 180 I got the tb to stay open and setting my pedal wot start to 100. I made less boost as turbo fmem kicked in for my driver demand limit. I gained some hp at 4800-5300 to at total of 446hp max. im currently hitting 3 limiters. 5 popcorn for torque air limit, wastegate air limit for torque max source and injector limit for torque max protection.
    2017 mustang gt

MDGraph-2018-05-29-15-20-52.JPG
    the solid line was my initial pull with 20 psi downlow and 17 up top, the closer dotted line was when I got 19 psi throughout the whole pull, and the most separated dotted line is my current setup with 18 downlow and 17 up-top tb completely open up until 5600 rpms. my conclusion with this truck is they don't like more boost even with the bigger intercooler. every pull I did with high boost I lost power substantially. I'm still running into injector limits, turbo fmem, and popcorn. and wastegate airflow limits even after maxing out all those tables.
    2017 mustang gt

Don't pay too much attention to your max protection sources. I don't think they are limiting you. For your Turbo FMEM limit, Try raising the table for engine-airflow-pressure control-airflow limit ECM-19677 and see if that gets you around the turbo FMEM limit.

cool I didn't see that table. I'm going to try it right now see what it does. I'm now hitting combustion stability on the same tune that had given me the most gains. these trucks have a mind of their own.
    Edit: the air got too hot and ACT went up from 86 to 100 comparing pulls. which explains my significant loss in power.
    Last edited by Tadias48; 08-29-2018 at 05:41 PM.
    2017 mustang gt

so in conclusion what I learned today is the reason why these trucks perform better at 17 psi is because the charge temps stay below 100 the hottest it got was 89 degrees at 16.5 at 5845rpms and when I was running 19 psi it got up to 104. so until we get the methanol system for the truck I will keep it at 16-17 uptop and 18 down low. this gave me a total of 455 max hp with no dips throughout the curve ill upload a pic of the dyno graph when I get to the shop. oh and its a mustang dyno by the way.
    2017 mustang gt

You will loose 1-1.5hp per degree of IAT.

Correct I currently took it out for a test drive and it ran like dog crap the same tune that gave me the 455 at 16 psi gave me 14 psi and moved super slow. so its going back on the dyno tomorrow to try and get more power at higher mct's. so I increased the boost to 16 and it moved better. doesn't help I'm in AZ so my iat's weren't dropping below 113. so ill move it back into trying to get the 20-19 psi and see what else I can do from there.
    2017 mustang gt

What kind of intercooler you have?

I would assume the upgraded one will stay close to Ambient Temp.

It's a freakoboost intercooler. Yeah on the dyno at 20 psi I saw mct of 104 with iat of 91 the highest so I figured it was really good but the lower psi and lower mct gave more power. It just didnt feel that way in the streets. So I'm going back to doing more trys to get more boost until I see the mct go way above ambient and somehow figure out how to get my horsepower above 400 at that psi.

Tuner in Training
    with the freakoboost IC if you haven't turn your fan speeds up it will pull more air thru the front.

it is raised up 12 degrees ill increase a bit more. I'm working with all my current datalogs to compose another tune to throw back on the dyno.
    2017 mustang gt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadias48 View Post
    it is raised up 12 degrees ill increase a bit more. I'm working with all my current datalogs to compose another tune to throw back on the dyno.
    im in az too, what shop you at?
    love to see your results

Im at EXP performance in Tucson AZ. I haven't messed with the raptor since I took it for a test drive. I'll be throwing it back on the dyno tomorrow or Monday. But yeah you're always welcome to swing by

Anymore progress?
    09 LNF: K&N Cai, ZZP IC, Injen IC piping, 3bar maps, efr 6758 (440whp!), Zeitronix E85 gauge, Innovate LC-1, WOTbox, HPTuners/Selftuned

The Turbo FMEM to me seems like some kind of airflow calculation based on air load. If you're demanding too much load (and air flow) it trips that error. The airflow table doesn't seem to have an impact on this.