Over the years, I've seen a few reports, plus my own personal experience, with certain vehicles reporting communication error DTCs or exhibiting odd behavior when TrackAddict or other apps are connected to its OBD data. These are typically rare and intermittent issues that only affect a small number of vehicles, but in particular, these reports have been more frequent for us with C7 Corvettes, some C6 Vettes, and possibly others.

This has been reported for multiple OBD devices (OBDLink LX, MX, and our own MPVI2), and although some of these use different processors and circuitry, the thing that they do have in common is that they are top performers. I've also come across similar stories from users of other apps, so I'm left looking at certain vehicle models as the common denominator here. My leading theory is that data requests are being sent so frequently that they are overwhelming or interrupting something in the vehicle's PCM or CAN bus. Most vehicles appear to have no issue with this at all, but it can be a nuisance for the ones are affected. Fortunately, TrackAddict users have an option available to help with this...

TrackAddict v4.1 and newer includes an option to reduce the OBD polling rate, which can be enabled with these steps:
1) Go to the app's main setup screen, then tap on the 'i' gear icon on the left side of the screen to access the Options screen.
2) Under the OBD section, ensure that an OBD device type is selected, and then tap on the 'i' gear icon to the left there.
3) Tap on "Reduce Polling Rate". This will limit the frequency of the app's OBD data requests, so that the vehicle's systems will have a little more time to breathe.

I would also always recommend making sure you stop your TrackAddict recording and exit the app when the engine isn't running. It will save you some battery if nothing else, but also it may be helpful to not have it trying to poll OBD data while you're trying to start the car... I had previously experienced a rare no-start situation on a C7 Vette which was resolved by unplugging the OBD device I was using, then I got it started, plugged it back in, and everything worked great. It happened very frequently that day (about 3 out of 4 times), but I only remember it happening one time ever since that day. Other odd behavior I've seen over years of extensive use and testing has been similarly rare and quite elusive when trying to reproduce it, but overall all symptoms seem to point to some sort of CAN communication issue between vehicle systems when an OBD dongle is requesting data very frequently.