Thread: 2016 Escalade 6.2 Magnuson Surging / Timing Issue @ Low RPM

Potential Tuner

2016 Escalade 6.2 Magnuson Surging / Timing Issue @ Low RPM

I?m trying to help a friend work through some tuning and drivability issues with his Escalade. It?s a 2016 6.2 with a Magnuson. The VE tables and trans were a mess, and while it?s driving much better, I?m still battling a low RPM surge.

While driving at part throttle, I either need to keep my foot out of it or accelerate hard to keep things smooth. Anything that would be considered normal driving has an erratic surge around 2,600 RPM. At that point the engine will accelerate quickly.

I?ve attached two data files. One is a much longer drive than the other. I can see a big dip in the timing around 2,600 RPM between .064 and 0.80 grams of airmass. It?s not knock retard and I?ve checked the timing correction factors. I don?t see anything that would specifically pull timing at only 2,600 RPM. I have a similar oddity around 3,600-3,800 RPM and 0.54 grams.

I have a much larger log file, but the site doesn't seem to care for the file size.

Can anyone point me in a direction that might resolve this issue? I appreciate your time!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by winopanda; 08-29-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Here's the larger log file broken down into two files.

have you adjusted your virtual torque tables and driver demand tables? I think you will find your fix there as long as fueling and spark are correct.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    have you adjusted your virtual torque tables and driver demand tables? I think you will find your fix there as long as fueling and spark are correct.
    No, I haven't touched either. This is only the 2nd Gen V that I've tuned (I have much more experience with Gen IV), so the virtual torque tables are new to me. After doing some reading, I believe you're right. It's also sluggish down low and the trans feels like it's slipping under normal driving; particularly at low RPM.

I'm searching through the history on here and other forums. Is there any particularly good thread or resource for tuning these tables?

I appreciate your help....thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by winopanda View Post
    No, I haven't touched either. This is only the 2nd Gen V that I've tuned (I have much more experience with Gen IV), so the virtual torque tables are new to me. After doing some reading, I believe you're right. It's also sluggish down low and the trans feels like it's slipping under normal driving; particularly at low RPM.

I'm searching through the history on here and other forums. Is there any particularly good thread or resource for tuning these tables?

I appreciate your help....thank you.
    not really anything good so far. but it does make a huge difference. use the Airmass Virtual Torque tables to lower values where it should make less power and raise it where it should make more. the MAP VTT tables work differently, I would leave them alone for now.

Potential Tuner
    This thing is really beating me up. It doesn't make it any easier that it was previously tuned by a shop that made a total mess. This would have been much easier beginning from the stock tune file.

I spent some time trying to match the Virtual Torque tables to the last data log. The car seems to run very well except at low RPM and part throttle. Specifically, it still has a sudden burst of acceleration around 2,700 RPM. I can still see timing being pulled (up to 9 degrees) at 2,600 RPM. It still feels a bit heavy down low; like the trans is slipping at lower RPM. I've bumped the line pressure 10%, and for now, I've disabled the torque management. These things improved drivability, but it's still not where it should be.

Would you mind taking a look at the tune file to see if I'm missing something?