Thread: Raising part throttle shift points

Tuner in Training

Raising part throttle shift points

My 4l60 shifts way too fast under part throttle conditions....in 3rd gear before 20mph and I'm sure now that I have a cam in it will lug the motor down and I'd like to raise them. Can someone explain how to do this so I don't mess everything up Thanks

Tuner in Training
    What size cam and engine do you have? It?s pretty easy overall, I would log different steady TPS pulls and find out where the lugging happens and then add 2mph at a time until you like it. If you add to the whole table you will probably find certain areas that feels like it?s hanging the shift and it gets annoying. Usually it?s not too bad as long as you delay TCC lockup.

Tuner in Training
    Here's the mods I just added, it was tuned and I do know he raised the TCC lockup speed. Even before I did the modding, it just shifts so fast under part throttle and I'd like it to at least build up a few rpm's before it's shifts.

Stock bore/stroke LS1
    Lingenfelter GT12 cam .614 .621 Duration @ 0.050": 227 235 (LSA)115
    Home Ported 243 heads with Manley Race Flow 2.00/1.55 valves
    Home Ported Dorman LS2 intake with a 92mm WARR throttle body
    42lb GTP imjectors
    TSP 1-7/8 long tubes with ORY and a Dynomax 3" catback

Tuner in Training
    Stock stall still? And add 2 or three to like 44% and below and then blend the next three columns to make it smooth and see how you like that. That?s about the only general change I would make, after that do like I said and log the shifts by tps so you can pinpoint where to change.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by simman22 View Post
    Stock stall still? And add 2 or three to like 44% and below and then blend the next three columns to make it smooth and see how you like that. That?s about the only general change I would make, after that do like I said and log the shifts by tps so you can pinpoint where to change.
    My fault, it has a 3200 Midwest stall in it.

Advanced Tuner
    Post up your tune, rpm has nothing to do with part throttle.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLoch View Post
    Post up your tune, rpm has nothing to do with part throttle.
    He is saying he wants to raise the speed in order to make it shift at a higher rpm.

Advanced Tuner
    understood, looking at the tune will provide programmed speeds it's shifting at now. As you suggested a log would be good at well. I had the same issues, I also raised my TCC lockup

Tuner in Training
    Here's the tune I'm running now.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    As suggested you can raise your all cells 1-> 2, 2->3 3->4 from 0 -37% throttle by 10 percent and see how you like it. Does your converter still have the ability to lock-up (TCC)? If so you may want to change you lock-up settings, mine doesn't lock up until 62 in 4th gear. Mine is a 94 trans so TCC is not PWM controlled and the check-ball/orifice has been removed so when TCC is commanded it feels like shifting to another gear.

Has anything eles been done to the trans? Your gonna have to play with your full throttle shift speeds and full throttle shift rpm tables as you get further into it.

Tuner in Training
    As suggested you can raise your all cells 1-> 2, 2->3 3->4 from 0 -37% throttle by 10 percent and see how you like it. Does your converter still have the ability to lock-up (TCC)? If so you may want to change you lock-up settings, mine doesn't lock up until 62 in 4th gear. Mine is a 94 trans so TCC is not PWM controlled and the check-ball/orifice has been removed so when TCC is commanded it feels like shifting to another gear.

Has anything eles been done to the trans? Your gonna have to play with your full throttle shift speeds and full throttle shift rpm tables as you get further into it.
    Thanks for the replies, gonna raise them and see how it is. My tuner did raise the lockup speed to around 65mph, I did notice that right away. I don't think he did anything to the full throttle shift points and my dyno sheet has mph instead of rpm so I don't know where to set them to? Gonna have to compare them to my stock tune and see, but at least I can get this annoying low speed shifting taken care of.

Advanced Tuner
    The tune I looked at didn't have TCC raised that was why I made that suggestion.
    Adjusting these tables to your liking is a process. I found it helpful to make a change and log it after the change to make sure it was doing what I was looking for. Looking at a tach of speedometer when the gear change is made is difficult at best.

Good luck and let us know how it's going,

Tuner in Training
    The tune I looked at didn't have TCC raised that was why I made that suggestion.
    Adjusting these tables to your liking is a process. I found it helpful to make a change and log it after the change to make sure it was doing what I was looking for. Looking at a tach of speedometer when the gear change is made is difficult at best.

Just like he said, log while you are making changes and try to hit as many ?daily driving? scenarios as you can to make sure you didn?t change something you liked before. The first big cam I had, I raised the tcc too high and on a road in the mountains it was 4 mph under lockup and the big loose stall just kept making heat the entire time so keep stuff like that in mind as well.

Advanced Tuner
    The other option for the TCC in situations like that is to enable/allow performance mode and use the Performance Apply/Release tables. This is something I want to do as well just haven't found the time to do it yet.

Here is one thread, https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...OW-HUAL-button. Another, https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-Switch-Option

Tuner in Training

Strange, I could've swore I felt it locking up around 60+mph? What do I look at in my tune for lockup speed? I did raise the points a bit for part throttle and it's better but I'm still gonna have to play with it a bit.

It seems like he left the full throttle shift points stock at 6000 he did ask if it was a stock short block so I guess that's why he did it.
    Last edited by Dano 00TA; 09-05-2018 at 04:47 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    TCC Applied (Yes/No), Trans fluid temp obviously MPH and RPM

Tuner in Training
    That's under "Trans" and "Torque Converter"? Apply/Release speed?

Advanced Tuner
    "Trans" - "Torque Converter" "TCC Applied" When I look at my channel selector their are 3 selections of the same thing, you may have to try each one until you see it change from no to yes while scanning.

Tuner in Training
    "Trans" - "Torque Converter" "TCC Applied" When I look at my channel selector their are 3 selections of the same thing, you may have to try each one until you see it change from no to yes while scanning.
    Will try it, thanks