Thread: high knock, low load

high knock, low load

1997 Buick Regal GS, many mods, cold air intake, ported heads and supercharger, headers, aftermarket downpipe and exhaust, 3.4" pulley, cam and roller rockers. from just off idle, light throttle, light load, KR maxes at 15, stays there until throttle and load increases; at @ 4K rpm, knock is gone. and stays gone, until throttle drops off to low, then knock comes back. Any ideas would be great.
    1997 Regal GS. SLP headers, CAI, cat back. S1X cam, 1.6 RR's, 3.5" pulley, ported S/C, LS1 valve springs.

What do the knock sensors look like?

Any corrosion or how old are they?

Properly torqued?

Good luck seeing the rear sensor because the transmission makes it so damn tight.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thanks for the quick reply. Haven't looked at them yet. Seems to me to be false knock, but can't determine anything yet. car has 194xxx miles on it. Will have to look at the sensors.
    1997 Regal GS. SLP headers, CAI, cat back. S1X cam, 1.6 RR's, 3.5" pulley, ported S/C, LS1 valve springs.

I was trying to follow the suggestion about desensitizing the knock sensors, but the hi load table has a value of 39 in it, and when I try to double it, it tells me the value is outside of the parameters, and when I override it, it puts in a value of 256, then I can't change it back to 39. What gives?

Post the tune please.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Stone View Post
    I was trying to follow the suggestion about desensitizing the knock sensors, but the hi load table has a value of 39 in it, and when I try to double it, it tells me the value is outside of the parameters, and when I override it, it puts in a value of 256, then I can't change it back to 39. What gives?
    This might be a glitch with the 97 pcm, but you can always get HPT support to help you. Many times they don't know about stuff like this until someone tells them. Then they address the issue in a newest bata version, and then eventually in a new release.

I had a lifter go out. I'm thinking that could be what was causing the high knock. Will know in a week or so.

Update. A bad lifter, that started out as a slight click, turned out to be the culprit. Replaced the lifters, and knock went down to small blips.

Sweet !

Thanks for the update.