Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Negative timing at idle. Need some help

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by djyankees31 View Post
    Check out post #11 above.
    Do you know if it works. It looks like you need to have a gm scanner tool to recalibrate and sync to car.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianw36 View Post
    Do you know if it works. It looks like you need to have a gm scanner tool to recalibrate and sync to car.
    I have a 2018 Camaro with heads, cam and 95mm throttle body. I am having issues with negative timing at idle, I have put the stock throttle body back on and it still has negative timing. I also used the GM tech 2 service tool to perform the throttle body re learn and that did nothing either. I have spent 2 thousand dollars with 3 different tuners and no one can figure it out. car runs good other than the negative idle timing. it gets so hot at idle the headers glow. if anyone has any solution to this problem please put me in the loop. I know for a fact I do not have any vacuum leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrykeithwarren View Post
    I have a 2018 Camaro with heads, cam and 95mm throttle body. I am having issues with negative timing at idle, I have put the stock throttle body back on and it still has negative timing. I also used the GM tech 2 service tool to perform the throttle body re learn and that did nothing either. I have spent 2 thousand dollars with 3 different tuners and no one can figure it out. car runs good other than the negative idle timing. it gets so hot at idle the headers glow. if anyone has any solution to this problem please put me in the loop. I know for a fact I do not have any vacuum leaks.
    if you have neg timing also with the stock throttle body then you just need to properly tune your car. where do you live?

your MAF and VVE need to be properly calibrated, you also need to correctly adjust your Idle tables including External Load torque table as the stock one is way off if you have a cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    if you have neg timing also with the stock throttle body then you just need to properly tune your car. where do you live?

your MAF and VVE need to be properly calibrated, you also need to correctly adjust your Idle tables including External Load torque table as the stock one is way off if you have a cam.
    I live in central Mississippi, I have paid 3 tuners already. i have invested around 2 thousand dollars in tuners.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrykeithwarren View Post
    I live in central Mississippi, I have paid 3 tuners already. i have invested around 2 thousand dollars in tuners.
    unfortunately just because someone has a laptop and a dyno it doesn't qualify them to tune, especially if they started on 2003 trucks and never really kept up with the changing logic in newer computers.

this is also why I started doing it myself, my 2001 Z06 never idled right or ran right after mods, was always told, "It's just too much cam." lol. It wasn't.

Been at it myself with help for 6 months and just now getting my head wrapped around it. I had negative timing initially with mine after my cam/blower install. I had to work on the Torque, Idle torque, timing and air. Any one of those can pull your timing individually or in conjunction with one another. Trial and error. No change, put it back and move to the next. Idle was the hardest part for me.

If you still have your VE active, disable it and run MAF only for now. I even disabled my LTFT initially to get my trims close, the re-enabled it.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7