Thread: Hero 6 GPS & Basecamp

Potential Tuner

Hero 6 GPS & Basecamp

Brand new to RaceRender,

I upgraded from my Hero 3 Silver to a Hero 6 Black for the ease of use over the Hero 3, and it was about time! I use the wireless remote, mounted to the dash of my Polaris General, to take video clips as we follow trails all over the Southwest.

I have learned through numerous YouTube videos how to use the Hero 6 and one of those is how to turn on the GPS. So near as I can tell the camera has a GPS chip. Fabulous

I downloaded RaceRender based on another forum post.

And I'm a Garmin GPS very experienced user. At this time, every time we go out on the trail, I have a Zumo 660 mounted on the dash, a Rino 655t on each end of the dash. Mine is for starting, stopping, saving "tracks". And my wife's is for taking geotagged pictures of scenery and well as trail signs and other useful data points

What I want to be able to do is two things:

I want to be able to get the video track start waypoint coordinates and the end waypoint coordinates for each video clip I record during a day on the trail. That might be as many as 30 clips. Having the waypoint coordinates would allow me to plot on Garmin BaseCamp where each video started and where each ended.

I would really like to be able to get the "track" off the GoPro videos and be able to import those into BaseCamp as GPX files.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Pirate88

Race render can certainly read your Gopro data from your video track but it can not strip out and generate a separate data file (GPX or other). But you can use the system to determine your way point co-ordinates by creating two Text Data fields in a data template; one for Latitude and the other for Longitude. Then it would be a simple but manual process of reading the co-ordinates at the beginning of the video clip and again at the end of the clip. Not the best solution; but a solution.

Potential Tuner
    Candive,

Soooo...as a PC user, not genius, how would I do as you said? Creating two Text Data fields in a data template?

Right now I would be happy just to have the start and end waypoint info.

Thanks,

Pirate88

It is possible to have RaceRender export your data into GPX or certain other formats... Right-click on the data file under the Input Files list, select Export Data, and then choose the desired file type.

A few caveats with this, though:

1) I've found that my own GoPro HERO 6 Black sometimes doesn't give me GPS data. Haven't found any explanation for it, but it seems like every few videos I record just wont have usable GPS data. RaceRender will detect something, extract it, but there's no actual data. GoPro's Quik program seems to have a similar result on these.

2) The exported files that RaceRender produces are sort of a one-size-fits-all approach, so it's as-is and wont necessarily be optimized for any one data source or data consumer.

3) The Free edition of RaceRender limits the data export length, but this should be long enough to be usable for some tasks, and also so that you can try before you buy.

RR Export.jpg

Hi Weston,
    Thank you for your clarification. I stand corrected and at the same time learned something new. This is a great feature of the software and should be highlighted in the user documentation (if it is,sorry I couldn't find it). I use an Olympus TG Tracker and for the life of me, I could not find a program (other than Olympus OI.Track; which is very limited) that could read my log files until I came across Race Render. Now that I am able to extract it into a CSV file, it gives me the ability to review my data in an excel spreadsheet and make any necessary changes. Thanks again for a great program! Keep up the good work!

Potential Tuner
    Weston,

I looked at the attach jpg file. It shows Export Data and has a number of formats..

But my, downloaded two nights ago, free edition of RaceRender only has Export Snapshot Image or Export Audio Clip. Something I'm missing?

One thing I have never tried, and don't know if can be done, is to upload a video clip to Garmin BaseCamp.

My hope is that I can get the "waypoint" info for the "start" point and "end" point for a video clip. Then I can import that to BaseCamp and know where that video clip was shot. That is something I have struggled with since getting my Hero 2 how do I know where that video was shot, when we may travel 90+ miles in the mountains and I record video clips all through the day.

I'm learning...

Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate88 View Post
    Weston,

I looked at the attach jpg file. It shows Export Data and has a number of formats..

But my, downloaded two nights ago, free edition of RaceRender only has Export Snapshot Image or Export Audio Clip. Something I'm missing?

One thing I have never tried, and don't know if can be done, is to upload a video clip to Garmin BaseCamp.

My hope is that I can get the "waypoint" info for the "start" point and "end" point for a video clip. Then I can import that to BaseCamp and know where that video clip was shot. That is something I have struggled with since getting my Hero 2 how do I know where that video was shot, when we may travel 90+ miles in the mountains and I record video clips all through the day.

I'm learning...

Pirate
    If you're seeing export snapshot and export audio, then I believe you had just right-clicked on the video input. There should be another input listed that's the data (its icon will look like a bunch of 1's and 0's), which will have the export options I spoke of. Its name in the list may also include "RR_Data".

When you add the GoPro 6 video to your project and it prompts you to extract and use the embedded GPS data, clicking yes there is what will add this data input to the project.

Potential Tuner
    Weston,

Got it!! So I guess I need to upgrade my RaceRender to be able to get 10 minute video clips with all the GPS data in the RR_Data file.

Going to look. But recommendations on what I should move up to?

Thanks!!

Pirate

Potential Tuner
    Purchased the Ultimate upgrade. Now to test it...I need to take a GoPro video walking more than 30 ft as my first one was. But I have the GPS data in GPX format, imported it to BaseCamp, and I have the first and last points, as well as...I think all the data.

As Weston commented, this upgrade should let me export/import video clips that are more than 5 minutes long. Typically mine go from as short as a minute to as long as 12 minutes. But typically not longer.

Thanks to all for the help. I will post more as I learn so that others can learn.

Pirate88