Thread: New User -> Adding Music, splicing, dicing video plus newbie question before i buy

Tuner in Training

New User -> Adding Music, splicing, dicing video plus newbie question before i buy

Hey All,

I am about to be a new user and have several questions

1) Can I add music to my videos?
    2) Can I splice and dice the videos? Showing parts the tracking, incorporating a picture taken with a camera (or video from some place else)?

Also, my current setup is as follows, will this work:
    Samsung S7 (for the trackaddict app)
    GoPro Hero 6
    ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Android & Windows -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW

I had no luck with RaceChrono...out of an entire day worth of tracking, only ONE video came out with the data. The data was also wrong
    I was about to get 3 videos, with overlay, from 2 days of tracking with Harrys...but it was painful (took me about 4-6 hours to figure out)

My ultimate desire:
    1) Simple setup in the car. Frankly, when I am rolling onto the track from the paddock, I don't need complexity. Do I turn on the camera, the app and just roll onto the track (auto start based on GPS) or do I have to push a button?
    2) Migrating the data out of the phone and GoPro...My friend told me it's one click to get the data out of the phone - Great! Do I just copy the data from my GoPro to my computer, and then Race Render will magically merge the two?
    3) Is it possible to do this without trackAddict? Use Harrys?
    4) Does trackAddict have start/stop positions for the track? Does it have milestones? Similar to Harrys?

THanks All

Hi furby076,
    Yes you can add music to your videos and yes you can splice and dice videos but you also have to remember to splice, dice and synch your data logs as well. Race Render does produce "magical" videos, but you have to be the magician to learn the tricks of the system. I'm a new user myself and I am still learning.

At this stage, my suggestion would be to download the free version of the software, import your videos and data logs and have a play. Use some of the project templates offered and create your own gauges to learn the system. If you get into difficulty, read...and then reread the user guide. And if you have a specific issue you can't resolve; come back to the forum and post a question. Hopefully someone will be able to help you. Good luck and have fun with RR3!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Candive View Post
    Hi furby076,
    Yes you can add music to your videos and yes you can splice and dice videos but you also have to remember to splice, dice and synch your data logs as well. Race Render does produce "magical" videos, but you have to be the magician to learn the tricks of the system. I'm a new user myself and I am still learning.

At this stage, my suggestion would be to download the free version of the software, import your videos and data logs and have a play. Use some of the project templates offered and create your own gauges to learn the system. If you get into difficulty, read...and then reread the user guide. And if you have a specific issue you can't resolve; come back to the forum and post a question. Hopefully someone will be able to help you. Good luck and have fun with RR3!
    THanks. Also, if i have the free version, but then after playing with it upgrade, will things like the water mark and 3 minute limit be removed? I assume the recording aspect won't be limited to 3 minutes, just the replay. Is that right?

To get rid of the water mark you have to upgrade to the Ultimate version. Also the output will not be limited to 3 minutes. I purchased the Ultimate version and don't regret it. I think this is currently the best telemetry video software on the market to date due to its flexibility and its ability to import all types of data logs. Garmin and Gopro do have free software for their action cameras, but they are more limited in scope. Since you have a Gopro, you can certainly try its software and others have been successful using Garmin Virb Edit using other non-Garmin devices but the trick is to get the data into an accepted file format. And that's something you don't have to worry about Race Render; it just works! There is a bit of a learning curve but I've been using the software for only 2 weeks and now have all my own gauges template set up and workflow estalished, so I'm ready to go.

Tuner in Training
    @Candive -> So if I record using the "free" version, and then upgrade to the full version, will the watermark be removed or do i need to buy the pro version first? I ask because I want to see how it easy it is to use before using it.

To completely remove the Race Render Logo watermark you have to purchase the Ultimate edition first to obtain the activation code. You cannot trial the Ultimate version. The Deluxe and Advance editions do not completely remove the watermark although it can be made smaller and partially transparent. Some people may be happy with the logo so they keep it and save some cash. Here are the exact instructions;

1) Download and install the latest release from http://RaceRender.com/RR3/Download.html
    2) Start the RaceRender program. Close the New Project menu if it appears.
    3) From the main program screen, go to the "Help" menu, and select "Upgrade RaceRender Edition".
    4) Enter the user name and activation code.
    5) Click the "Enter Code" button. A message should appear to indicate successful activation.

Once you have the paid Ultimate edition activated, its just a matter of going into the logo properties and hiding the logo. See the screen shot below:
    RR3_logo.PNG

Tuner in Training
    OK, last question. RaceRender is setup (i will pay for it after track day, no hurry right now). Trying to setup trackaddict, I got it from android playstore. Only one version is available, and i cannot find out how to pay for it to get ultimate.

BTW, you have been a big help

Hi furby076,

I didn't know trackaddict had a ultimate version. On the main screen you will see an "up arrow" on the upper right hand side. Pressing that brings you to the upgrade page (hence the up arrow referring to upgrade). In one instance, Online telemetry streaming is ticked green since most the app's features in android are available for free. There is a another upgrade for HP Tuners MPV12. Is that what you are referring to? Here is the link. https://www.hptuners.com/product/mpvi2/

Tuner in Training
    I see what you are mentioning. I do not plan to buy HP Tuners product because I already have OBD sensor (ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth). It looks like i am setup for track day. Once my car gets back from the body shop (someone rear-ended my wife a couple weeks ago) and it gets tech inspection, then I plan to test everything at home.

Thanks again Candive!

Good luck furby! One last suggestion....don't let your wife drive your car....go out and buy her one!

Tuner in Training
    LOL. I wish, she says we are a one car family, and getting her to let me keep the M3 is like a never ending fight