Thread: HP Tuners N00b LSX El Camino

Potential Tuner

HP Tuners N00b LSX El Camino

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to HP Tuners and I've been making my way through video tutorials and online walk throughs. I figured it'd be helpful to get some eyes on my data that know what they're looking at before I make too many assumptions of my own.

I have a 1983 El Camino that I've swapped a junkyard 2001 5.3L LM7 with stock computer and harness into, along with a 2002 4L80E. The only modifications are a DIY cold air intake, shorty headers and full length exhaust with a x-pipe and cats. For the current tune, I did a mail-in tune to Brendan at LT1Swap. It's worked pretty good, but I'd like to get it cleaned up if necessary prior to adding any more power modifications.

20294285_10105281228627587_1875147706381994919_n.jpg

I've attached my tune file, along with a log file that I created on my 50 minute commute home today. I'm not exactly sure if that's an acceptable way to do a log file... but I'm just trying to start somewhere.

My immediate questions are around the log file:

-I'm not getting any value for knock retard and from what I've seen it should at least read 0.0 if there is no knock. Is this a simple setting I need to turn on in the software or is this related to the computer, or even something greater?

Capture.JPG

-I noticed while on the highway, I was driving around 75mph, but my speedometer on HP Tuners was reading closer to 55mph. It also seemed to read 25mph, when I was closer to 35mph. I have a Dakota Digital Dash that I've calibrated and it reads correctly. Does it matter if I change this in the program, or will it have no effect on the tune/log?

Capture2.JPG

I really appreciate the help! HP Tuners is a lot of new info to take in and I'm doing my best to utilize the resources I have here.

Thanks,

Alex
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    The Speed sensor tables are under the speed sensor>Calibration tabs

As far as the KR, you need to select it from the channels list to log/view the data. You should train yourself on using the scanner: http://www.hptuners.com/help/VCM-Scanner/

The gear/tire wizard is also under the edit tab. Make sure they match what your vehicle has.

For sure add knock retard, commanded AFR, cylinder airmass and injector pulse width avg for both banks to the logs. It's all stuff you will want to see.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I took some time to read more before I asked any questions. And I worked on the layout of my scan profile, along with creating a tune to fill my Speed Density VE Table based on this walkthrough:
    http://michigansnowmobiler.com/hptun...ons%20rev2.pdf

I also updated my transmission tables with the BlueCat Trans software. I definitely recommend that!

For the scan, I did a light 20min cruise today to fill some of the table. This was mostly stop and go neighborhood streets and a little bit on the highway. The values that filled the table seem rather low, based on my limited knowledge. This could be totally accurate, but I just don't know. I also noticed that the number for my Wideband was 13-15 on my gauge, but in hp tuners the output was consistently around 18. I'm not sure why these two would be any different.

Before I make anymore assumptions, here's my tune file for the scan and my scan file. I followed the walk through as best as I could, but it's totally possible that something was done incorrectly.

Greatly appreciate the help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Add narrowband O2 sensors to the channels list. Your wideband seems to have some issues. Delete it and try adding it again and make sure the math is correct. The MAP sensor in the channels isn't correct also, may be because you have it scaled for volts. Also while you trims aren't that far off to do this correctly you would need to disable LT and ST and do the VE and MAF tables separately.

Potential Tuner
    Hey guys,

I apologize for bringing up such an old thread, but I figure it's better context than starting a new one. There's also a good chance this is answered in another thread. I've read a few and just struggle to find exactly what I'm looking for. I deleted my wideband as recommended and tried reinstalling it.

It's an AEM 30-0300. I'm reading that it works best with 2007+ CAN-bus equipped motors.

My motor being a 2001', obviously doesn't fit that match. I have it hooked up to where the gauge itself reads correctly. I have the white wire running to pin #1 on the MPVI Pro. I add the MPVI.1 channel in hptuners, and transform it to the AEM 30-03XX settings. Connect the vehicle and there's no signal.

Is there more to this than I'm reading up on, or is it just not going to work because the motor isn't a 2007+?

Greatly appreciate the help

Advanced Tuner
    You need to connect the brown wire from the gauge to the ground pin on the MPVI for the analog signal to work properly. That is the ground reference line.

Potential Tuner
    So I connected the brown wire to the MPVI. I also re installed the gauge in HPTuners. In HPTuners it sits at ~18 for my reading and fluctuates in the 0.01-0.001 decimals, but that's about it. In jumped very quickly to 17 when I gave it a light amount of gas.
    The gauge itself appears to read correctly and mostly stays in the 14.7 range.

For reference:
    I put pin 9 (white) from the gauge into pin 1 on the MPVI.
    I put pin 10 (brown) from the gauge into pin 6 (ground) on the MPVI

I also tested voltage on the white wire at the MPVI and it read a consistent 5V.