Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SPAL Brushless Fan Control issue

Tuner in Training

SPAL Brushless Fan Control issue

I am trying to control a SPAL brushless fan using an E67 ECU. I got the fan settings at PWM electric and frequency at 128 Hz. My problem is when I command a High duty cycle the fan goes to low speed and when I command a Low Duty cycle it goes to high speed. Now I know that those aftermarket fans made by spal are different from the OEM ones, and they runs from 30% to 90% duty cycle where 30% is their lowest startup speed and 90% is the highest, above 90% is for diagnostic purposes.

what happens at the moment is:

10% duty cycle at ECU equals 90% at fan (max speed)
    70% duty cycle at ECU equals 30% at fan (min startup speed)
    70% + duty cycle at ECU fan is 0ff
    9% or less duty cycle fan will start & go to high speed then off.

I used the same ECU to control an OEM spal brushless fan and I didnt have any issues calibrating it, 10% ECU meant 10% fan and 90% ECU meant 90% fan.
    I believe whats happening is that the fan is taking whatever signal is coming to it and reversing it or something.

Anyone have experience tuning such a fan?

Tuner in Training
    Anyone?

Potential Tuner
    What is the part number off the fan you're using? The fans SPAL makes for OEM customers are often (read "always") different software or hardware to make the product custom/specific/proprietary to their OEM customers. The fans they sell to the aftermarket/hot rod guys have different software/hardware requirements to prevent plug and play on different vehicles. Keep in mind you're only controlling the signal request to the fan, the fan just responds to the signal you're sending it. So the duty cycle you send the fan doesn't necessarily correspond exactly to the requested % Speed of the fan. It also depends on how the fan "interprets" the signal you send it. The fan is accurate to 1% duty cycle, so it can tell the difference between 14% duty cycle and 15% duty cycle, so we are dealing with very precise control of the fan.

For SPAL Aftermarket brushless fans: (Not SPAL OEM brushless fans)
    15% Duty Cycle = minimum speed = 25% of full speed RPM.
    90 - 95% duty cycle = full speed = 100% RPM.
    The ramp is linear between 15% - 90% Duty Cycle.
    The fan is "OFF" from 0% to 15% and 95% to 100% duty cycle. So constant 12V or constant ground on the signal wire doesn't make the fan run.
    There is no duty cycle that you can send the fan to enter a diagnostic mode. Typically SPAL will select a frequency range way outside of normal operating ranges for diagnostic purposes.

Hopefully this helps, if not, call SPAL USA and ask for Brent.
    Last edited by Brent2888; 11-29-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Now THAT'S what I call excellent service.

Potential Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
    Now THAT'S what I call excellent service.
    Don't tell my boss that I scope the forums while I'm at work.

Advanced Tuner
    Heck, I'd tell him you need a raise and a promotion for thinking outside the box and giving customers an exceptional experience across social media.

I'd second that. I know where I am buying my next e-fan

Quote Originally Posted by Brent2888 View Post
    Don't tell my boss that I scope the forums while I'm at work.
    I love my 16” spal HO fans (yes get the wiring kits), I even use one on my trans cooler and I also use their HO relay to power my fuel pump. Brent where can I get the female terminal connector for the HO relay male (connects to fan harness)?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RySmDPT14 View Post
    I love my 16? spal HO fans (yes get the wiring kits), I even use one on my trans cooler and I also use their HO relay to power my fuel pump. Brent where can I get the female terminal connector for the HO relay male (connects to fan harness)?
    Just so I understand correctly, you're looking for the part number of the connector that would plug into our HO-Relays? It is an AMP Connector #282080-1. Looks like you can buy them from Mouser Electronics online.

In case I'm way off base, here is a link where you can download the drawing for the HO harness: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t9jhgfzy1...%2001.pdf?dl=0

-Brent

Just so I understand correctly, you're looking for the part number of the connector that would plug into our HO-Relays? It is an AMP Connector #282080-1. Looks like you can buy them from Mouser Electronics online.

In case I'm way off base, here is a link where you can download the drawing for the HO harness: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t9jhgfzy1...%2001.pdf?dl=0

-Brent
    Part number 15633993 mine is cracked on the fan side of the harness and would like to replace it.

Potential Tuner
    The fan side should be 15363993. The vehicle/harness side is 15363990. Its a Metripack 630 series connection.

The fan side should be 15363993. The vehicle/harness side is 15363990. Its a Metripack 630 series connection.
    That?s what I thought. Appreciate the clarification.

Yo, any you fancy-fan people still around?

I have a SPAL brushless unit from a C7 Z06, the 600-watt version, retrofitting it into a different vehicle. Part numbers are:
    SPAL: VA103-ABL600P-105A
    GM: 84886698
    (no Google matches for either number - weird)

I'm curious what kind of airflow this thing is rated for. Anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post

I have a SPAL brushless unit from a C7 Z06, the 600-watt version, retrofitting it into a different vehicle. Part numbers are:

I looked a while back. never found any cfm rating just the watts or something like that. seems like a high powered fan thou. are you trying to control it with the stock 38e ecm? I think I read it needs a different setting from the stock c6 corvette settings but not the same as the aftermarket settings above. I can't remember exactly thou. have you tired the fan yet? I was thinking of trying to mod one to fit a c6 and control it with the stock ecm. but never got around it it. summer is back thou lol

C6 brushed 400W fan with that big Siemens module uses 'PWM Electric' logic, C7 brushless SPAL uses 'PWM EV'. Pull a '14-up Corvette tune from the repository for a look at the differences.

The C7 Stingray fan is 500W (15-81913). C7 Z06 fan is 600W (15-81914)... and about $100 cheaper(?!). The shrouds and blades are the same, only difference is the motors.

I'm using an E40, haven't tested it yet, I have all the major parts on hand (still gathering the last wiring bits and pieces). The C7 aux distribution block is compact, fits in a easily adapted bracket, has a nice secure cover, offers a B+ IN post, a 225A fused ALT post, an 80A FAN post, and a 100A post, used in the C7 for the EPS, but could be used for any other suitable high current accessory if you ever needed it.
    Fan assy: ACDelco 15-81914 ($190!)
    Harness connector: https://www.ebay.com/itm/233178180273
    C7 aux distribution block/bracket/cover: 23173653/23173654/23491757

I really, really needed the fan connector on the driver side which would have meant rotating the C7 shroud upside down which would have put the flappy-vent things upside down and therefore non-functional... so I cut away everything but the fan itself. I picked up a 4.2L Trailblazer fan shroud ($22, new) and trimmed off anything that wasn't needed. I'm blanking it off with .063" 3003 sheet and mounting the C7 fan as if it were just another universal aftermarket unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    I thought no one would reply to this thread so I didnt follow up after a month but brent is right on the money. The after market uses different logic, almost the inverse of GM logic so I ended up on other forums (computer chip) trying to figure out a way to reverse the signal as I am using the fan as a pusher and have 2 inputs from the ecu for ac pressure and ect. Since the pcm sends the higher of the 2 values the fan ends up going slower instead of faster so I ended up using only one input for ac pressure.
    Finally I ended up buying a junkyard c7 cooling fan with the 600 watt motor and swapped the motor+ blades into my aftermarket 500 watt (14") spal fan housing (fit perfectly) and now I run the fan from the ecu as any other GM fan would.
    Btw I have a camaro ss fan (850 watts) thats running as a standalone puller on the same vehicle using spals brushless fan sensor. Just make sure you get the right one as there are 2 sensors for the same temp range, each with different logic (one that runs GM fans, other runs SPAL aftermarket fans)

GM spal fans:
    SBL TS-01
    SBL TS-02
    SBL TS-03

Spal aftermarket:
    SBL TS-165P
    SBL TS-185P
    SBL TS-215P

I have wasted many hours trying to get my garbage USB oscilloscope to show the waveforms from PWM Electric and PWM EV settings, and failed so far to get anything that doesn't look like random noise. I suspect, but can't confirm (thanks, oscilloscope!) that PWM EV and PWM Electric have inverse 'Fan Desired %' vs. duty cycle logic.

Quote Originally Posted by amrg View Post
    Finally I ended up buying a junkyard c7 cooling fan with the 600 watt motor and swapped the motor+ blades into my aftermarket 500 watt (14") spal fan housing (fit perfectly) and now I run the fan from the ecu as any other GM fan would.
    Hey! You can probably solve this for me - which wire in the C7 fan connector is B+ and which is GND? I don't have service manuals that go that new and both wires are black, neither is common to the motor housing...

NM, found it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Spal rates the 500 watt brushless fan at 2400 cfm zero static pressure so my best guess is 2600-2700 cfm (airflow increase isnt linear with power increase)

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post