Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SPAL Brushless Fan Control issue

Tuner
    Hoping next week to get my spal 16 inch brushless to run on my 18 Chevy Colorado... thanks blind squirrel for the hints to look out for.
    I’m amazed that there is not more folks running brushless spal fans controlled by hptuner’s control of the pwm stuff.

I’m hoping I have my list of boxes and how to reverse things in the tune correct.

Potential Tuner
    Hoping blindsquirrel is still floating around here....I'm installing a new radiator/c7 fan setup on my '06 z06. It appears the stock computer programming will run this c7 fan properly? Any updates or suggestions on this?

Without changing anything in the tune? I have no idea. I only know the E40 works with the settings I used, and did not work with the same settings from a C7/E92 file. I do not know what's different about the output signal between E40/E38/E92 among the different fan type settings (PWM Electric/PWM EV).

Potential Tuner
    The car is tuned and the fan settings have been altered from stock. That's really all I know at this point. I ran across this thread in my search and found you had mentioned a c6 file worked for your c7 fan upgrade. The new radiator/c7 fan setup is going in as we speak. In about two days we'll see what happens!

My E40 ECM would not output a valid signal at 100 or 128Hz using PWM EV (even though the stock tune uses PWM EV @ 2Hz, I am just assuming there is a hardware limitation inside), the one it worked with happened to be the same as the C6 - that's just what it took to make it work, I didn't set out to copy the C6. I have no experience with the E38 fan outputs.

And I still have not found what the difference is (or is supposed to be) between the PWM EV output waveform/logic and PWM Electric logic. I don't have anything that'll output a valid signal with PWM EV so can't look at it on the scope.

Potential Tuner
    Finding information on this is difficult, I appreciate your input. This Vette is a road race car, keeping it cool on track has been very tough. I previously ran an aftermarket dual Spal brushless fan setup with two aftermarket PWMs. It worked fine, fans ramped up just the way the original setup did but the cooling system still was not up to the task. This new setup utilizes a different radiator configuration and is designed to accept the c7 fan. Made good progress on it yesterday so today is likely the day we'll start it (just waiting on a few parts to arrive). I'll report back, I imagine this info will help someone down the line.

Tuner in Training
    240dan,

I'm running the same setup as you with the C6 PWM controller with the dual Spal fans. Purchased a Camaro/CTSV brushless 18 inch fan and ran a bench test with the C6 Corvette ECM. The C6 ECM controlled the fan just fine with its stock fan settings, it moves a lot of air. Based on that the C7 fan should work well too as they have the same control logic.

Just my experience.

Jon

Potential Tuner
    Happy to report the c7 fan works perfectly in the c6. Tested it quite a bit last night, this thing moves some air! Thanks for your input blindsquirrel and Camaro68!

Potential Tuner
    Tracked the Vette last weekend with the new radiator setup and c7 fan. Again, the fan was perfect and for the first time the coolant temps on track were 190-205. Excellent results.

It is impressive considering it's only a 14" blade. I don't think mine has ever needed to run at over 40%.

Potential Tuner
    I agree, the fan really impressed me. The new radiator setup leans forward, when the fan turns on and blows through the vented hood I can feel it standing by the drivers door. Drop a paper towel near the nose of the car and it's immediately sucked into the radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by amrg View Post
    I am trying to control a SPAL brushless fan using an E67 ECU. I got the fan settings at PWM electric and frequency at 128 Hz. My problem is when I command a High duty cycle the fan goes to low speed and when I command a Low Duty cycle it goes to high speed. Now I know that those aftermarket fans made by spal are different from the OEM ones, and they runs from 30% to 90% duty cycle where 30% is their lowest startup speed and 90% is the highest, above 90% is for diagnostic purposes.

what happens at the moment is:

10% duty cycle at ECU equals 90% at fan (max speed)
    70% duty cycle at ECU equals 30% at fan (min startup speed)
    70% + duty cycle at ECU fan is 0ff
    9% or less duty cycle fan will start & go to high speed then off.

I used the same ECU to control an OEM spal brushless fan and I didnt have any issues calibrating it, 10% ECU meant 10% fan and 90% ECU meant 90% fan.
    I believe whats happening is that the fan is taking whatever signal is coming to it and reversing it or something.

Anyone have experience tuning such a fan?
    Would you mind sharing what you ultimately settled on for fan vs desired?

Tuner
    I was able to use 85% to turn on a spal pwm fan. I meant to try 88-90 to see if that would turn it on as well.

Mine turn on at 85 but oddly seem like they're definitely spinning quite fast. This is new and I've just started playing with the settings in my E67. I have no way to tell the fan RPM and exact desired % that is being commanded. One goal is for them to start slow, barely hearing them. They're definitely rather loud.

I'm using PWM Electric. My first cell in desired vs ect has 0 in it. Anything else immediately turns the fan on no matter the ect. The next few cells have 85. 85 should be 15% of max fan speed and the lowest I can go if I understand correctly. I feel like the fans come on and immediately and run rather high before coming down just slightly.

As of right now, I don't have the AC pressure sensor connected as this is an ongoing project. I haven't done anything to that table at all. I just ASSume with no sensor, I don't have to do anything in that table just yet.
    I can try PWM EV maybe to see if that does anything.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tuner
    Can you post a pic of your desired vs ect ?

Quote Originally Posted by fifty View Post
    Can you post a pic of your desired vs ect ?
    Yes. I?ll do it later today. Thank you.

Potential Tuner
    Brushless fan transfer function.JPG

This is how SPAL fans typically respond to duty cycle inputs.

This picture helps explain how some fans will interpret the signals. This is the same reason some people use 85% as minimum speed value, and 8% as full speed. The fan is interpreting 85% = 15%, and 8% = 92%.

Duty Cycle Explained.JPG
    Last edited by Brent2888; 12-15-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Potential Tuner
    VA116-ABL505P-105A Airflow.jpg

Unfortunately I can't link the performance data for the 600W Corvette fan (anything GM is proprietary info,) but I can link the data for 30107102 VA116-ABL506P/N-105A, which is the same motor/blade/RPM as the C7 500W fan but in a standard shroud. So you can imagine the 600W version is even higher performance than this.

Thanks Brent. There's got to more at play within the GM ECM software controlling the pulses besides just the tables we have access to for controlling the aftermarket fans. Just flipping the numbers doesn't make the fan work correctly.

Blindsquirrel also thanks for the read outs.

I'll keep playing and see what happens, but am just guessing at this point.

Tuner
    Cpd004 yep! I have all my tune reversed/inverted or however you want to call it. But if I am logging it never shows the fan on even when it’s on.

And I’m still not 100% sure the ac and defrost is turning the fan on correctly. I contacted hptuner about the fan stuff and their reply was “we don’t know”.
    Hopefully if more than me ask them to look a bit deeper in the gm genv fan stuff they can find and unlock or make access to what ever is left.