Thread: Need help/advice with my MD-500 dyno

Advanced Tuner

Question Need help/advice with my MD-500 dyno

So i bought this MD-500 portable from a shop that wasn't using it. It only had a couple hours on it, so it was basically brand new. The PowerSpec PC that came with it has been giving me issues lately and Friday afternoon, while making a WOT pull on a truck i was tuning, it crashed on me. I was able to get back in and finish the truck, but it crashed a couple more times and finally got to the point i was done with it.

So, I bought a new Dell computer at Best Buy. I had contacted Mustang technical support about the issue and they sent me an updated version of the PowerDyne software for free, which i thought was cool since it's like $1000 to upgrade and i'd heard horror stories about their customer support. I got the new computer set up and tried installing the software they sent me. I got several error messages pertaining to certain DLL's and regserv files. At the end of it though, it said it installed successfully. When i open up the PowerDyne program, i get several similar error messages to when i was installing it before it finally opens up. Once the software is running, it doesn't appear to be connected to the dyno. I can't control the lift up or down (the manual override still works). It doesn't appear to be connected to my Smarttach either and won't install the canned calibration either.

I'm really not sure what to do. I'm at the end of my rope and NEED this thing running. Mustang support doesn't respond very quickly and i'm not sure that they aren't just ignoring me now.

Has anybody encountered this before or know what i need to do to get the software to work and get me back to tuning?

Advanced Tuner
    the errors i get when installing the software are as follows:

Failed to install WinDriver's Kernel module, Error calling class installer register.

Failed trying to install the driver.

Error starting the service MD110032: This service cannot be started in Safe Mode.

Failed trying to install the driver.

Installing the MD NI 6221 I/O board driver DLL [MDNI6221Driver.doo]. If you have not already installed the NI software from the CD included with the I/O board, this step will FAIL. If that happens, you will have to run C:\Windows\System32\RegSvr32.Exe on the file [MDNI6221Driver.dll] after this install completes, before the dyno software will run. You must also edit "PowerDynePC.Ini", and add/change "HaveNI6221=True" to the "[Board0]" section prior to using this I/O board.

Then there are two large messages i'm not going to type out that start with ERROR: Invalid command line parameter '/REGSERVER'.

When i try to open the PowerDyne software after installation completes, i get the following error messages while the software is opening up:

Error: MD1132OpenDriver: MD110032InitDriver Failed!

Error: MD1132OpenDriver: MD110032SetDIODirections(0) Failed!

Error: MD1132OpenDriver: MD110032SetAIVoltageRange(0) Failed!

Error: MD1132OpenDriver: MD110032SetAOModes(0) Failed!

NTPort Error (2) : Can't load zntport.sys

Then the software opens up. I got it to connect to and display weather station info. I cannot get it to let me calibrate the load cell. I cannot get the lift to up or down. I cannot communicate with my SmartTach apparently.

I'm lost, I'm not a software engineer and I didn't buy the dyno direct from Mustang so i never got to see it set up the first time...not sure where to go from here.

Advanced Tuner
    From my quick guess is the software supported for windows 10? many times you may need to run an older operating system so things are happy.

Advanced Tuner
    That's what I'm starting to think as well. I've run the installer in windows 7 compatibility mode and get the same results though... if that matters at all.

Advanced Tuner
    Finally got it sorted out.... turns out mostof the error messages i got were "normal." The I/O board needed reset and a config file modified. Mustang support was super helpful, just hard to get ahold of somebody.... best strategy i found was dial the operator and ask her instead of calling somebody's direct extension.

Potential Tuner
    Hi < I hope you have your Dyno up and trouble free, I wish I could say the same for my MD500 You are so lucky to get a free copy of the powerdyne software I cant even get them to sell me a copy!! I have an older md500 [bought it new ] and have had nothing but problems with the computer since I bought ,[it was an older ISA bus 486] so I decided to build a new box using a advantech server type that uses a backplane so it is now a PCI bus and I have a Ni 6221 board but mustang told me I also needed a Daughter board as well which I tried to purchase from them as well 2 times here is my question can you tell me what other boards you have in your computer? I am also in need of a pic or 2 of the cable routing my old board was a 68 flat ribbon to DB 9 serial but I am told the new daughter board is a 50 pin Any help would be so awesome I am at a loss Thank you Very much Royal T