Thread: Need help with A4 shifting issue. Please...

Potential Tuner

Need help with A4 shifting issue. Please...

Hey all,

Just had A&A install a modest vortec kit and dyno tune in my 01 c5 base . Car is running ok for the most part, but I'm having trouble with the shift between 2nd and 3rd.

The first time I ran into this problem was going down a slight grade on-ramp to the freeway at WOT. It hit the rev limiter between 2nd and 3rd and a second later finally shifted. I didn't note the rpm or speed because that was the first time I floored it with the SC and I was focusing on not dying.

I made another run on a flat straight away and that time, it didn't hit the limiter, but it definitely went close. It went to 6,342rpm @ 85.5mph .

I don't want the engine rev-ing that high, but I'm having trouble finding the correct things to modify in VCM Editor . I did create a log of that run. I'll post the log and the current tune. Can you guys help me figure this out? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Create a log in HPtuners, looking at an excel spreadsheet while somewhat useful will not get you many if any replies.
    How many miles on the car? Did you do anything to the trans or files? Factory converter? Need more information

Potential Tuner
    Hey Dr Loch,

Thanks for the reply. I will make a log in vcm as soon as I get a chance and post it. Annoyingly, whenever I am out of work during the week, so is everyone else and there's too much traffic to go anywhere fast. Can track addict record the type of log that's needed? I still have the original from there. These are the mods:

1: 2500 stall
    2: 3.15 rear
    3: 76k miles
    4: A modification was made to the trans to accommodate the stall. It wasn't locking when it was supposed to. I think that may be it though.

Thanks again

Advanced Tuner
    With the stall and the added power you are blowing through the shift points now, motor is overpowering the converter. I see where the lock-up has been changed to only 4th, myself I don't like it locking up that early in 4th it tends to lug down the motor especially with a SC. While it shouldn't really matter look at Transmission> Shift General> Force motor current, change the whole 100 column to 98, it's 1245 now. A lower number in that table creates a higher pressure. Torque Management Tab, Torque Reduction Normal, make it all 0. Abuse Mode, Disabled, RPM 8K, Torque Reduction all 0.

Then try running it and see where the shifts start and end.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Dr. So I shouldn't even touch the shift point rpm and mph yet, right? Just make the changes you suggested?

Thanks again

Advanced Tuner
    You can lower the MPH and RPM as well if you like at the same time to see if the changes are helping.