Thread: Tuning ignition timing

Potential Tuner

Tuning ignition timing

How does everyone go with the timing side of things? I have the AFR pretty good and have no KR at the moment. Do i slowly add timing until i get KR and back it off? Also is it the borderline Knock table i make changes to?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli View Post
    How does everyone go with the timing side of things? I have the AFR pretty good and have no KR at the moment. Do i slowly add timing until i get KR and back it off? Also is it the borderline Knock table i make changes to?
    Proper way to do it is with a spark hook test on a dyno

I use the Plex knock monitor for determine the boderline.
    Pley Knock Test1.jpg Pley Knock Test2.jpg Pley Knock Test1.jpg

Depends. You need to see what tables are being used when adding removing timing. For instance on a wot pull if your using table 0 70perce t and table 1 30% you have to do the math and add or remove timing on each table. Log map point weights so you can know what table is the one you will be working on

Tuner
    Post up a recent log file.
    You should be getting some KR. Maybe your aren't logging the right parameter. Or are your knock sensors disabled?
    I've seen KR activity on a stock tune with e85 even on low boost.
    You should be seeing some kind of knock retard, especially if you are running 98.

What fuel are you running?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigo_eff1fitty View Post
    Depends. You need to see what tables are being used when adding removing timing. For instance on a wot pull if your using table 0 70perce t and table 1 30% you have to do the math and add or remove timing on each table. Log map point weights so you can know what table is the one you will be working on
    Interesting comment! .........are you saying there is an interplay between the Australian Falcon Borderline spark map and the MBT spark map (similar to the GM hi-low maps) based on knock activity?
    Tune with actual data not simulated data!.....Applied Road/track Tuning