Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case / crank relearn

Potential Tuner

Case / crank relearn

Do I have to unlock the PCM to do a crank relearn?
    2003 2500hd 6.0

Advanced Tuner
    You do if you are using HPTuners. IF you have a regular enhanced scan tool you dont

Senior Tuner
    No you do not. CASE Learn is a function of the scanner and doesn't require any licensing to use it.

Potential Tuner
    I somehow deleted my earlier post.

Thanks for the info.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    No you do not. CASE Learn is a function of the scanner and doesn't require any licensing to use it.
    Ive never been able to do any BI-DI or code reading on a non licensed vehicle

It appears you have to have all the readiness monitors satisfied. can anyone confirm?
    04 6.0 silvy china turbo
    87 gn
    03 stroker evo ww
    00 ss camaro

Advanced Tuner
    I'm finding that the v4.4.x Crank Relearn feature is not nearly as intuitive as it was in 2.24 (the last time I had to use it). Clicking the Crank Relearn button generates a dialog box saying to rev the motor and let it return to idle, but it doesn't cut off at around 4000RPM like it did in v2.24. It'd be nice if HPT published the prerequisites for features in their 'documentation'. I'm still using the same MPVI interface with the same licensed vehicle as I used 2.24 upon. Does anyone know the specific prerequisites and/or steps needed to complete the CASE relearn on a Gen3?
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

I couldn't get it to work. I have a buddy of mine with a snap-on tool. Relearned it in 2minutes. Bye bye p0300 ,hello lockup

Advanced Tuner
    Worked with HP Support today. The following adjustments to their provided documentation seemed to work for me ('98 PCM) for beta 4.5, I haven't tried the modified steps with older versions. Support indicated a check engine light should turn off, but mine was turned on due to a blown engine sensor fuse and it did not reset at the end of the process. Perhaps they mean if the P335, P340 or P1336 DTC's were already set, it would clear those codes. The fuel would not cut off unless I rev’ed it before clicking Okay. The lines beginning with * are what I tweaked.

CASE Learn: To use the CASE learn function please follow these steps:
    1.Ensure the engine is at normal operating temperature (ECT > 170F).
    2.Put the vehicle into park (auto) or neutral (manual).
    3.Turn off all accessories and A/C.
    4.Turn the vehicle off.
    5.Apply the parking brake.
    6.Press the brake pedal. Keep the brake pedal depressed during the entire procedure. REQUIRED for successful test completion
    * Manuals: Use right foot to depress right-hand side of the brake pedal, so when you release the clutch after starting the engine, your left foot can take over on the left side of the brake pedal without releasing the brake pedal.
    7.Start the vehicle and let it idle.
    8.Press Begin.
    * There is not a Begin button. Ignore this.
    * Click the Crank Relearn button, do not click okay yet.
    * I waited only a couple of seconds between clicking Crank Relearn and beginning to rev the engine
    9.Gradually rev the vehicle to fuel cutoff (around 4000-5000 RPM's) over a period of about 4 seconds. When fuel cuts out, immediately release the throttle.
    10.Allow the engine to come back to an idle.
    * Now press the Okay button
    11.Turn the ignition off for at least 15 seconds. This step is required for the VCM to store the newly learned configuration.
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

Advanced Tuner
    Still doesnt work on my 2014 ZL1 E67. Tried these instructions ^^^^^ and the HPT instructions, neither seemed to work. I'm not getting codes all the time but an occasional random misfires does log. I have 2 permanent FPCM codes waiting to drop off. I've tried this and still have the misfires. Car seems to run fine, just getting misfires in the scanner. My cars hardware is all working. I even tried pushing the CRANK RELEARN button again after idling back down only to have it tell me that the procedure was already done to cycle the ignition. I did so waiting the 15 seconds and nothing, no confirmation and still random misfires.

What can be up?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMueller View Post
    Worked with HP Support today. The following adjustments to their provided documentation seemed to work for me ('98 PCM) for beta 4.5, I haven't tried the modified steps with older versions. Support indicated a check engine light should turn off, but mine was turned on due to a blown engine sensor fuse and it did not reset at the end of the process. Perhaps they mean if the P335, P340 or P1336 DTC's were already set, it would clear those codes. The fuel would not cut off unless I rev’ed it before clicking Okay. The lines beginning with * are what I tweaked.

CASE Learn: To use the CASE learn function please follow these steps:
    1.Ensure the engine is at normal operating temperature (ECT > 170F).
    2.Put the vehicle into park (auto) or neutral (manual).
    3.Turn off all accessories and A/C.
    4.Turn the vehicle off.
    5.Apply the parking brake.
    6.Press the brake pedal. Keep the brake pedal depressed during the entire procedure. REQUIRED for successful test completion
    * Manuals: Use right foot to depress right-hand side of the brake pedal, so when you release the clutch after starting the engine, your left foot can take over on the left side of the brake pedal without releasing the brake pedal.
    7.Start the vehicle and let it idle.
    8.Press Begin.
    * There is not a Begin button. Ignore this.
    * Click the Crank Relearn button, do not click okay yet.
    * I waited only a couple of seconds between clicking Crank Relearn and beginning to rev the engine
    9.Gradually rev the vehicle to fuel cutoff (around 4000-5000 RPM's) over a period of about 4 seconds. When fuel cuts out, immediately release the throttle.
    10.Allow the engine to come back to an idle.
    * Now press the Okay button
    11.Turn the ignition off for at least 15 seconds. This step is required for the VCM to store the newly learned configuration.
    I have no DTC's anymore and all emission test are completed, nothing is red.
    I still cannot get this to work to save my life.

Does anyone have suggestions? I did it just as Jim said?

He never said if he got a confirmation of a successful relearn.
    Last edited by marksrig; 03-18-2022 at 10:17 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    nobody?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by marksrig View Post

He never said if he got a confirmation of a successful relearn.
    The versions of HPT I use have never given a confirmation of successful relearn.

There's lots of features that HPT will "do", but only half-assed, which is kinda understandable given the range of platforms they try to cover. There are some things that you can, technically, do in HPT that really should be done using a real full-featured dedicated diagnostic tool.

On a GM scantool it will walk you through the steps, letting you know what conditions are not met so you know how to make it work. One example is it'll stop and give you a "Minimum coolant temp not met" or something similar, display the current ECT, and you sit there at that screen until it reaches 170* or whatever the threshold is, then it continues and gives you instructions for what to do in the next step. In HPT, it leaves you in the dark, assuming you know it has to be above a certain temp and with the brake applied and in the right gear position etc.

Advanced Tuner
    It seems that we're left in the dark. I'll see if the Snap-on at work can do it. I followed the latest instructions to a T and updated VCM.

I guess if HPT doesn't say something is wrong with my process, I'll assume it's all good and continue to see why I'm getting random misfire DTCs occasionally. I have a BTR3 cam and headers with a bunch of other stuff. I've read where a cam can cause a misfire reading, but wanted to be sure. I just want to touch all bases before trying to fine tune.
    Last edited by marksrig; 03-19-2022 at 03:03 PM.

Senior Tuner
    I have eliminated false misfires and/or crank variation not learned codes after crank sensor or PCM replacement on P01 and P59 vehicles with the HPT CASE relearn with no confirmation of a completed relearn. Just follow the procedure in the scanner special function help file and make sure you are meeting all the conditions it says to. I don't think I've ever tried it on any newer PCMs other than those. It's just for misfire detection and about anything with an aftermarket cam you are desensitizing or eliminating misfire detection anyway. Stock misfire detection is looking for a smooth rotation of the crank reluctor. That pretty much goes out the window with a cam with even the slightest lope at idle.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 03-19-2022 at 07:25 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I have eliminated false misfires and/or crank variation not learned codes after crank sensor or PCM replacement on P01 and P59 vehicles with the HPT CASE relearn with no confirmation of a completed relearn. Just follow the procedure in the scanner special function help file and make sure you are meeting all the conditions it says to. I don't think I've ever tried it on any newer PCMs other than those. It's just for misfire detection and about anything with an aftermarket cam you are desensitizing or eliminating misfire detection anyway. Stock misfire detection is looking for a smooth rotation of the crank reluctor. That pretty much goes out the window with a cam with even the slightest lope at idle.
    That's basically what I'm trying to do. I just now got a P0300 for randon misfire...again. I guess I'll live with this and just turn off the code.
    My gap is set to about .033 so maybe it doesn't like that either.

I appreciate the reply from everyone.
    Thanks

Senior Tuner
    You need to fix it with the misfire tables, not just disabling the P0300 code. If you don't the false misfires will still be detected and keep the converter from locking if equipped with an auto trans.

Advanced Tuner
    You need to fix it with the misfire tables, not just disabling the P0300 code. If you don't the false misfires will still be detected and keep the converter from locking if equipped with an auto trans.
    Mine is a manual, but I'll look for the tables you're talking about. Not sure I've seen them in the E67.

Thank you

Advanced Tuner
    Then again, maybe my misfires are just a sympton of my needing tuned. I wanted to clear the misfires before going out, but reading some on this, it may be a result of my VE fueling being off. Right now I'm on E70 and my LTFT are compensating from 0-15%. Yes, I need a tune bad.