Thread: E67 programming from a 6 cyl to 4cyl tune - please advise

Potential Tuner

E67 programming from a 6 cyl to 4cyl tune - please advise

Hi
    I'm working a strange project of putting a ecotec LE5 into a miata. I have the physical part almost complete and have the wiring worked out, but now am stuck on getting the computer to run.

I have a junkyard GM E67 ECU from a 6 cylinder vehicle that I'm trying to reprogram to a 4 cylinder vehicle for my engine. I read the ECU and then wrote a change back to it to license the physical unit to my HP Tuner ID. I then downloaded a base map from the HP Tuner site for the correct 4 cylinder engine and licensed it also to my HP Tuner ID. I wrote this file to the ECU which appears to have taken the change, but now I'm unable to make changes to the ECU as it's telling me the ECU is unlicensed. Clearly I've messed something up, but used up 4 HP credit along the way! Ugh

I contacted HP Tuner support who told me that I need to bring the car to a dealer to have them change something, but since the engine is in a non-Chevy car running stand alone, I can't imagine what their reaction would be. Also there's the issue of getting it there...

So now I purchased a second E67 unit from a Cadillac DTS 4.6 which I'd like to reprogram to a 4cyl config to get the engine running. Before I use 2 more credits licensing this E67, I'm looking for some guidance on how to correctly perform this task. I can't find any guide/instructions on how to do this. Can someone quickly walk me through how to do this?

Or maybe someone has ideas on how to unlock the first ECU?

Thank you in advance!

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if you flash a file that transfers the VIN & OS from another tune, then when it connects and sees the new vin it is now registered as unlicensed on your account.
    i havent tried changing cylinder qty on this ecu so i cant comment any further than this.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Booster is correct. You need tis (GM software) to set up a basic cal for the 4 cyl and tune from there. Give me a call as we have done at least 20 of these in the Miata's. Steve 909 910 3867

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, should use TECH2 or GM MDI to do the base flash properly

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the support. I wish HP tuners had published this info.
    I've talked with Steve we've figured out a solution.