Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ZF 9 Speed Transmission Programming

Tuner
    I"ll post a small update.

My normal setup for flashing vehicles is in my garage. I have a desktop hooked up to a UPS (in case of power failure)
    I have been using a 15ft USB 3.0 Extension cable and so far I haven't had issues flashing PCM's with it.

I deicded to use my laptop instead with the usb cable directly attached to the MPVI2, however nothing has changed. I still get the Web service error. I did try every 5 minutes to write again and still had the same issue. I'm guessing it has to do with HP Tuners servers, as everytime I load of a TCM file in the editor it connects to HP Tuners

Tuner in Training
    Success !! I was able to use my credits and flash my TCM . Raised the shift point from 6300 to 6800 . Thank you HP tuner support staff !
    Before https://photos.app.goo.gl/NXkXFDyesc2bSWKP6

After
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/fPttDJZu78uUcn9M8

Tuner
    Tried again and waited the full 15 minutes twice (total of 30) trying to WRITE the TCM. No dice, let me know if you need any additional information.

I find it interesting Trbobuick didn't have any issues with his TCM write.
    Last edited by Tyler-98-W68; 03-01-2019 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
    Tried again and waited the full 15 minutes twice (total of 30) trying to read the TCM. No dice, let me know if you need any additional information.

I find it interesting Trbobuick didn't have any issues with his TCM write.
    There is no need to reread the tune. Once we add support for a specific calibration, you can use your existing file. Please make sure you have a support ticket open with the most up to date information included so that we can resolve the issue for you.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    There is no need to reread the tune. Once we add support for a specific calibration, you can use your existing file. Please make sure you have a support ticket open with the most up to date information included so that we can resolve the issue for you.
    Sorry, I meant WRITE the TCM.

Yes I have submitted 2 tickets on the matter.

Everything else is working fine I just can't WRITE to the TCM

Tuner in Training
    Quick update : Part of the reason I upgraded from an MPVi to a MPVi2 is because I have a pesky u1424 code that keeps aggravating me. I was told by support that that was a transmission DTC and could only be read and modified with the upgraded scanner. That doesn't seem to currently be the case .
    First I was told : "That code is thrown by the tcm not the pcm. Once the tcm loads correctly you will see the code in that dtc list. "

Currently all trans codes are labeled " disabled " with no option to check them .
    There is a minimum voltage check for the code . It's stock at nine volts . I set it to 66 so it would never check . Still coded and went into limp mode .

I inquired about it and this was the response : "I will reach out to our engineers to see if this U1424 code can be added to the software. I can't promise anything but we'll review this. "

Wait . What ? Is everyone on the same page at HP ?

Can ANYBODY help me with this code ? It's being set by a BBK throttle body . Car runs GREAT before it codes .

Tuner
    I got an email from HP Tuners this morning asking to try writing the TCM again, I'm pleased to announce that it works. I really appreciate the time and effort that went in to making this work out. HP Tuners support even connected to my computer while troubleshooting to ultimately get the problem solved. Again thank you for getting this to work!

Tuner in Training
    I just downloaded 366. Now the trans DTCs are clickable , and has a pulldown menu . The choices are disabled , type 1 thru type 5 . What do the types mean ?

Tuner in Training
    New beta , now trans DTCs are clickable, and I disabled the offending DTCs , and reinstalled the throttle body.
    The car still goes into limp home , but doesn't code .
    I scan for codes , and none are stored. Is all HP doing is putting digital electrical tape over the SES light ? Is that all disable means ?
    I inquire and I get this message :
    Brian,

Try taking a look at parameter listed below. Make sure it is maxed out or else the car will go into limp mode.

5722 - TCM limp RPM
    I respond :
    The P2173 , U1424, and P0507 codes are ONLY set when I install a BBK throttle body. No other changes besides that part .

Reply back :
    Brian,

Please make sure you are up to date on our software (4.3). As for the throttle relearn, you should be able to see it under the special functions tab in VCM Scanner. As for the limp mode issue, make sure you are disabling the correct DTC's. We will look more into your issue Monday.

Thank you
    So I decide to flex a little :

The software is the latest beta from March 14th .
    The throttle relearn already has an open ticket from my friend , I can make another if you want .
    I have disabled the correct DTCs . That still doesn't explain the MIL not coming on . If the scanner says there are no current DTCs ,while in limp home and after , isn't it obvious I clicked the right ones ?

Just so we are on the same page , here is a little bit about me :

*Michigan certified auto mechanic since 1996
    *ASE certified mechanic since 1997
    *Federaly licenced A&P aircraft technician since 2011
    *Associates degree in applied sciences
    *Automotive test technician for a tier one supplier for the last 5 years .
    *Owner of a low ten second Grand National that uses DFI gen 7 for engine management.
    I've been in the automotive/racing/aircraft/test field professionally since 1995

I'm willing to get my hands dirty so I can help you help me .

That was Friday and I have heard nothing back.

Ive offered to drive down and have them debug the car , nothing .

At this point I would rather hear " we are not sure , we are working on it " instead of all the smoke that has been blown up my ass .
    Last edited by Trbobuick; 03-21-2019 at 06:50 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Trbobuick View Post
    New beta , now trans DTCs are clickable, and I disabled the offending DTCs , and reinstalled the throttle body.
    The car still goes into limp home , but doesn't code .
    I scan for codes , and none are stored. Is all HP doing is putting digital electrical tape over the SES light ? Is that all disable means ?
    I inquire and I get this message :
    Brian,

Try taking a look at parameter listed below. Make sure it is maxed out or else the car will go into limp mode.

5722 - TCM limp RPM
    I respond :
    The P2173 , U1424, and P0507 codes are ONLY set when I install a BBK throttle body. No other changes besides that part .

Reply back :
    Brian,

Please make sure you are up to date on our software (4.3). As for the throttle relearn, you should be able to see it under the special functions tab in VCM Scanner. As for the limp mode issue, make sure you are disabling the correct DTC's. We will look more into your issue Monday.

Thank you
    So I decide to flex a little :

The software is the latest beta from March 14th .
    The throttle relearn already has an open ticket from my friend , I can make another if you want .
    I have disabled the correct DTCs . That still doesn't explain the MIL not coming on . If the scanner says there are no current DTCs ,while in limp home and after , isn't it obvious I clicked the right ones ?

Just so we are on the same page , here is a little bit about me :

*Michigan certified auto mechanic since 1996
    *ASE certified mechanic since 1997
    *Federaly licenced A&P aircraft technician since 2011
    *Associates degree in applied sciences
    *Automotive test technician for a tier one supplier for the last 5 years .
    *Owner of a low ten second Grand National that uses DFI gen 7 for engine management.
    I've been in the automotive/racing/aircraft/test field professionally since 1995

I'm willing to get my hands dirty so I can help you help me .

That was Friday and I have heard nothing back.

Ive offered to drive down and have them debug the car , nothing .

At this point I would rather hear " we are not sure , we are working on it " instead of all the smoke that has been blown up my ass .
    Same thing here. Smoke blowing up the ass. And I'm working on a TCM that was supposed to be "now tuneable" 4 1/2 years ago.

Advanced Tuner
    Am I doing something wrong?
    You're trying to tune a FCA TCM with hptuners.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Same thing here. Smoke blowing up the ass. And I'm working on a TCM that was supposed to be "now tuneable" 4 1/2 years ago.
    Same thing . Ours has been supported since July of last year and I'm 99% sure that Tyler and I were the very first ZF 9 speeds supported .

I would like to clarify a few things. ZF9 tuning support was announced last year by HP Tuners. I believe it is the most comprehensive and only tuning solution available for them today. We are not putting digital tape over any lights - the code list functions as it is intended. Merely disabling a code doesn't always cause the actual condition causing the code to go away. There is still a problem - most likely torque calculation related - due to the throttle body change. The code is merely intended to let you know, for your transmission's safety sake, that there is a problem which requires fixing through tuning. The controls for achieving that are available in the software.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    I would like to clarify a few things. ZF9 tuning support was announced last year by HP Tuners. I believe it is the most comprehensive and only tuning solution available for them today. We are not putting digital tape over any lights - the code list functions as it is intended. Merely disabling a code doesn't always cause the actual condition causing the code to go away. There is still a problem - most likely torque calculation related - due to the throttle body change. The code is merely intended to let you know, for your transmission's safety sake, that there is a problem which requires fixing through tuning. The controls for achieving that are available in the software.
    We appreciate the hard work you guys have done , there is no doubt about that . But let's face it , you are a business that is trying to make money , and I have given you that money in exchange for a working solution . Easy as that .

I may not have made myself clear : there are NO DTCs . None . Zero. But the car goes into limp home. I have disabled the DTCs in the diag part of both the engine and transmission .
    So if your software prevents the SES light from coming on and the PCM STILL goes into limp home , what could it be and why has tech support gone silent with messaging back ?
    A little clarity goes a long way . Promises and silence feel like smoke. Nobody would fault you if you said you didn't know yet. I could post the extensive contact timeline about this issue , (months now ) but I'm not sure what good it would do.

But I still want a real solution to the problem.
    Last edited by Trbobuick; 03-30-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Btw....I will offer it again . I'm willing to drive to you guys to debug the multiple issues that already have tickets . I know a Chrysler 200 is low on the list of importance , but I do like to get my money worth out of the product that was sold to me with all the features promised.

Tuner
    You're trying to tune a FCA TCM with hptuners.
    Trying? It's already done and works great

Advanced Tuner
    Trying? It's already done and works great
    Yea it only took three weeks.

Tuner
    Yea it only took three weeks.
    Actually if you look at the start date of the thread it tools months, however being the first person to try and unlock the ZF9 I understood it wasn't going to be all Roses and sunshine. It took time yes and at times I was frustrated however in the end HPT came through and they did work tirelessly on this issue and the many other tickets I opened. Somethings take time I have no issues with HPT and look forward to using their products on other vehicles

Advanced Tuner
    Actually if you look at the start date of the thread it tools months, however being the first person to try and unlock the ZF9 I understood it wasn't going to be all Roses and sunshine. It took time yes and at times I was frustrated however in the end HPT came through and they did work tirelessly on this issue and the many other tickets I opened. Somethings take time I have no issues with HPT and look forward to using their products on other vehicles
    How would you feel if you had a common older vehicle that you were told 4 1/2 years ago could be tuned with hptuners and to this day it still has problems?
    Then support doesn't have the balls to tell you they're not going to provide you with a solution. Would you feel the same as you do now?

Tuner
    I can appreciate your frustration, I would probably feel the same if I was in your position, but technically my 2016 Cherokee wasn't supported by HP Tuners, they only lifted 2014 model years (I have a 2014 as well) I haven't read super detailed about your issues, but is it possible since you have a police package vehicle that in itself is the issue since it's rather unique?