Thread: Newbie questions

Potential Tuner

Newbie questions

Hi folks,

I come from Porsche land, but now I am using GM ls3. Not new to tuning but my case is I need to pick up on tuning the ls3 GM ecu. I do not get what credits are, technically if I create a tune it is my art. But my art van only go to gallery with credits? Not understanding GM here. Anyway, I have a base tune in my motor, vehicle runs OK but I need to tweak it a few hundred times, or if that don't work out, start over with what I paid for in the crate motor. If I put have MVPi2 why do I need credits to fix what is broken from an out of the box crate tune? Everything is stock ls3 and only MOD is headers because cast would not fit the Porsche body. Do I need 2 credits to be able to unlimited edit my existing tune? And if that don't work out and I start with crate tune, that's another $100? Appreciate input on this contraption so I can work and have no cost from mistakes.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    you license the vehicle using credits, once you've licensed it you can tune it as many times as you want without having to purchase any additional credits.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the info. It is licensed by a vehicle vin which is unique? So if I wanted to tune another GM vehicle I own I need 2 more credits? In short, for $399 I can get MVPi2 with 2 credits for my one vehicle. If I want to use for my other vehicle it's $100 correct?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 951v8 View Post
    Thanks for the info. It is licensed by a vehicle vin which is unique? So if I wanted to tune another GM vehicle I own I need 2 more credits? In short, for $399 I can get MVPi2 with 2 credits for my one vehicle. If I want to use for my other vehicle it's $100 correct?
    Yes if you wanted to tune another vehicle you own you would need to purchase additional credits in order to license that other vehicle.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    I also am a newbie. How do I keep using it for the same vehicle? Do I just keep saving it under a different name as I make changes to it?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes.

Several newbie questions I only use one device (lap top) so if I upgrade to the latest version, will this ever have an affect on my being able to load or view tunes previously downloaded? I'm very new to the tuning side on a car I built a few years ago.. Are there people within this forum willing to help newbie's with advice on tunes? I know how to attach data logs and tunes are there people willing to look over them? Just curious

If you had the newest version, which you'd need anyway if you just got HP Tuners you can basically view any tune file from the previous version. Like 4.0.XX can open 3.4 or 3.6 files without issue. Same with files you created with 4.0.XX and in the future when 4.1 or 4.2 comes out.

Files other than your own should always be just looked at for reference or copy/paste information and never be files that you would want to license and spend more money on.

Many people help, it just depends on what you ask, how you ask, the information to give to get help and that sort of stuff. Minimal information in posts can get minimal feedback. Depending on what brand of vehicles you are asking about can determine the help too. If possible buy a few starter books or take a course to get familiar with the product too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.