Thread: 4R200 by PBH

Tuner in Training

4R200 by PBH

Has anyone done any tuning on this upgrade yet? Post a trans tune. Thanks in advance.

Only Lund has tune it so far and I'm not sure PBH want's it to be otherwise...

Personally I believe this might be a better solution:

https://www.fordnxt.com/tech-stories...s-billet-bits/
    Last edited by veeefour; 09-20-2018 at 01:10 AM.

Tuner in Training
    How do you get in contact with this guy. I tried the e-mail and Facebook. Not able to link to it. Thanks in advance

Doesn’t PBH offer the tuning tables as a part of the purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace View Post
    Doesn’t PBH offer the tuning tables as a part of the purchase?
    That would be great if they do - I have no interest in converting the 6R80 to 4 gears, just curious how it's made.

Tuner in Training
    They have lund racing do the tuning. Lund hasn't been able to work out all the problems yet. Transmission is having troubles shifting from 3rd to 6th smoothly and then from 6th back to 3rd. So there is a few bugs still. I think it is really on the gen 2 stuff. So was hoping someone had figured it out here.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinhen View Post
    They have lund racing do the tuning. Lund hasn't been able to work out all the problems yet. Transmission is having troubles shifting from 3rd to 6th smoothly and then from 6th back to 3rd. So there is a few bugs still. I think it is really on the gen 2 stuff. So was hoping someone had figured it out here.
    Do you have the 4r200 installed?

Senior Tuner
    https://youtu.be/zATGJV4f7lU?t=505

According to Alex you can reach out to Lund and they will help you out if you are tuning it yourself. I'm sure you would have to have some experience to even be able to ask them the right questions in order for them to help you. I have not attempted to reach out, and have decided to stay with the 6R80.

The 4R200 basically removes the 1.52:1 front planet gear ratio that acts on the No2 and No3 sun gears of the rear planet. Clutch A drives the No3 and clutch B drives No2.
    The front planet is capable of two driven ratios 1.52:1 out of the carrier and 1:1 through the over drive clutch.
    The rear planetary is a double planetary so its capable of a few more ratios. No3 sun gear and No2 sungear can be driven by the front carrier, The rear carrier can be driven 1:1, also No2 sun gear or the carrier can be held. all to vary the ratio the rear ring gear sees.

Power goes n the front ring gear and leaves the rear ring gear. Shifts are power-on so on gear ratio needs to be held while the next is applied enough to transfer the torque.

Gears 4 and 5 are basically 2 and 3 except the rear planet carrier is driven 1:1 by the over drive clutch instead of the rear carrier remaining stationary. This changes the rear ratios from 1.54:1 and 1:1 to 1.14:1 and.87:1. That can no longer happen with only a 1:1 coming from the front planet. The E solenoid the applies the over drive clutch, also allows D to drive the rear carrier instead of it being held to the case.

So you have to get E to enable over drive in 3rd in order to have a power- on shift between 3-4 and 4-3. A 3-6 or 6-3 shift could not be power on in a 6R80, so you would have to use either the 3-4, 4-3 or 3-5,5-3 tables. Seeing as to get the .69:1 ratio the No2 sun gear would need to be held, and in 5th it needs to be driven, you would run into a bind. Its looking like it would go 1-2-3&4-6, or a/d, a/c, a/b/e, c/e. Not sure how 3&4 would be combined in the strategy. You may be able to go through part of 3rd with out 4th clutches coming on making the trans more efficient with less driven weight. Then coming back down it would go 4-2 aka 6-2 because no 6-3.
    Last edited by murfie; 09-23-2018 at 01:11 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Last place I don't have it installed. I am looking at what all it takes tune wise to have it installed. Trying to weight the pro's vs con's of doing a 4r200 or getting a titanium plant gear for the 6r80.

Murfie.
    I agree with you that you would have to have some in-depth experience to be able to fully tune this by yourself. I just don't have that in-depth experience.

Lund is very good at what they do.

Advanced Tuner
    4R200=meh. Billet parts all the way

I would never take my 6 speed and turn it into a 4 speed lol

That said I bet the 10R80 will be a good candidate for this mod. I mean can you imagine pushing 1000+ thru a 10 speed how fast that will shift.. it will spend most of it's life shifting and sound like a crotch rocket

Have you put any more thought into 4R200 tuning strategy? I have one in my car if you want to help me play around with it.

Tuner in Training
    I didn't go with the 4r200. I have not seen anyone have tuning luck with it. Even using Lund as there tuner...... I have only Seen Lund Racing have luck with it..... I know there is going to be someone say I know so and so...... But to much trouble I think.

I reviewed this possibility some time ago and to my understanding this will never work like stock and there's nothing you can do about it.
    Affordable choice for sure but for drag racing/WOT only I'm afraid - not so much for the street use.

If you want to go big but still street friendly you need billet planetary and billet OWC which is obviously much more expansive.