Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hoping to fix Whipple flutter/ surge at part throttle

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemituna View Post
    "So how much should I lower the Small and Large Range?"

Errr.......a lot

Use this tune as an example.. 6.4 with whipple and hellcat 92mm tb.

Attachment 83823

Look at the changes in their entirety.

Airflow tables, driver demand, driver demand flywheel, TB prop gain, cam timing, etc etc

These all work together and affect each other so you can't just change one table and expect it to be all good.

I've helped a lot of guys on here with the same problem....the answers needed are all in the tune above.
    (You will need latest beta to open it)

Oh..and do yourself a favour, upgrade to a hellcat TB or a whipple 102mm TB...the whipples need a lot of air.
    You will get an increase of 1 - 1.5lb of boost with a bigger TB.
    So just this morning I figured I would finally sample the airtables (yeah I am slow just like my throttle) and all I have to say is....dam. Throttle is way more responsive but not touchy (i.e. little pedal travel does not result in a lot of throttle). I saw in your other post from a while back (where a member was having cruise effect) that airflow, small and large all are matching which I never noticed before until I plotted all three stock tables.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...=cruise+effect

This would explain why when I originally messed with the tables I was getting weird almost choppy throttle behavior.

One other thing I just noticed while driving home, the engine revs very quickly...almost instantaneously when in neutral. Crazy how lowering the air tables does this...so counterintuitive.
    Last edited by Homer; 06-29-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blown392 View Post
    The files requested are attached. I will make my legal disclaimer here that any use of these files is at your own risk! The modified version is still in the works as I believe I have a false knock issue which I posted about in another thread. I hope that this helps and be careful!

Will the settings in this tune work on a 2016 Challenger srt whipple? Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    I borrowed some of the tables (had to tweak a little...still not where I want the pedal feel though) on my 2015 Challenger RT with maguson and 6.2 cam.

I have a 2017 Durango 5.7L to 6.4L swap with the 2.9L Whipple. The Whipple calibration and kit with the 63lb injectors is for my previous 5.7L engine on the PCM with 5.7L OS associated with my VIN. The new 6.4L is a stock displacement drop-in with forged internals and 9.7:1 CR. The camshaft is a Comp 270 XFI 222/230 (222deg intake duration/230deg exhaust duration). The cam has a ground-in advance of 4deg on the intake. Because of the cam and high lift, the springs were upgraded as required with VVT cam phaser limited to 7deg (14deg crank). The heads were ported by HHP-BES (390CFM flow bench). I also have a 90mm TB, Kooks headers, and 2,800 stall converter on the stock 8HP70 trans.

I modified a Comp Cams crank/cam timing chart with my cam card data and notes to help me better understand the timing. I do not know how to translate this data into the HPTuners airflow settings under the "Variable Camshaft" and "Neural Network" sections.

Idle at 2,000RPM is stable with 22" vacuum but not stable below that. The idle AFR is very rich with 0.5 to 0.8 Lambda and STFT = -33% to -15% when approaching 0.8 Lambda. This is with the 63lb Siemens injectors @[email protected]. It seems to be tune related airflow and timing associated with a cam upgrade. Any ideas?

Comp-Cams_6.4L-Hemi_Cam-PN-201-426-17_Grind-270VVI15_Crank-Cam-Degree-Chart_Enthusiast.jpg

!Airflow_Variable-Camshaft.jpg
    !Airflow_Neural-Network.jpg
    Last edited by Enthusiastic; 02-13-2023 at 04:45 PM. Reason: added airflows