Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPA is starting.

Tuner in Training

EPA is starting.

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa...defeat-devices

https://www.13abc.com/content/news/494194471.html

I can only imagine HP, COBB, and the like are next. Hopefully not.

Senior Tuner
    Thanks Trump.

Hey, we use our HP tuned vehicles for offroad use only! Remember?
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi 10.41@138.7 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons 12.9@107.3, 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

Advanced Tuner
    meanwhile the drug abuse & sexual misconduct cases are steadily increasing....
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Well if the diesel guys would stop tuning there trucks to blow a cloud of soot every time they take off us gas tuners would have a chance, you know Gayle Banks always said if its blowing black smoke its not tuned correctly just fuel out the tail pipe.
    Needs to burn clean! but its not just them there after the whole system. back to old carbs and old cars before emissions. sucks!
    2015 Camaro SS Green Flash 6spd
    BTR Stage 3 cam, Dart Pro 1 Heads, Circle D 3500 torque converter
    Small shot.

Potential Tuner
    Come on; of the millions of cars sold every year by the various manufacturers, what percentage of them is using an SCT or Bullydog device? Probably a fraction of 1%...and of that fraction of 1%, of which many only drive on sunny days, or on the weekend, and never during the winter, are the ones ruining the atmosphere and causing global warming? Whatever.

Please, this is the last refuge I have for non-political discussions....don't take that away from me, or the rest of us....besides, I see the trend to be less restrictions from this administration....

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:53 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

C5edstoy@aol.com

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kaik View Post
    https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa...defeat-devices

https://www.13abc.com/content/news/494194471.html

I can only imagine HP, COBB, and the like are next. Hopefully not.
    Cobb already started transitioning a couple years back. In order to get the Access Tuner Race software you had to complete a course, part of which was Emissions controls and the regs. I believe they also no longer offer "Off Road Maps" on their website, could be wrong on that however.

people actually listen to the EPA? hahahaha
    2000 ls1 Trans am - hp
    1991 5.0 mustang - tweecer

Then the code/address to disable said diesel emissions tests will leak online, and people will flash it themselves. Most/All other parameters wont affect emissions, since most or all of the emissions tests only run at idle and very light load. You can tweak your MAF or Injectors or VE table, WOT timing all you want and that wont affect emissions.

Changing a cam will, so when are they going after cam companies?
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU)
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner in Training
    They started this with Bullydog and SCT in 2010-2012. This is for the state of California.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/casesett/derive_systems.htm
    2000 WS6 Trans Am LS3, Tick Performance Stage 2 cam, ARH 1 7/8" Headers, FLT Level 6 4L60e, Circle D 5c Launching on a 200K 10 Bolt

2001 Camaro SS M6 Black on Black

Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Please, this is the last refuge I have for non-political discussions....don't take that away from me, or the rest of us....besides, I see the trend to be less restrictions from this administration....

Ed M
    Amen....
    2009 G8GT PBM,Rotofab CAI,SLP Headers,Magnaflow exhaust,BMR Rear Swaybar ,Ported intake,Lunati Crank and rods,Diamond pistons,DOD delete,High speed lifters,Hardened pushrods,232/242 .620/.620 110+0 cam,Comp Cams adjustable shaft rockers,Milled and pocket ported l92's,Cloyes adjustable timing chain,Edelbrock two piece timing cover,.660 spring kit,All cryogened

Advanced Tuner
    Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, but it seems to me that those products are providing "canned tunes" which is really easy to determine that it is being used to disable emissions components. I imagine a tuning suite falls under a different category because there is no way to say that tuners are turning them off, just that they have the ability to. Which in my opinion makes the legal requirement to keep them on fall in to the lap of the tuner, not the software.

But obviously I'm not a lawyer.

Tuner in Training
    So it?s looking like our tuning will be banned soon.
    What the future for HPtuners then? Not looking good I guess

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Markmx6 View Post
    Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, but it seems to me that those products are providing "canned tunes" which is really easy to determine that it is being used to disable emissions components. I imagine a tuning suite falls under a different category because there is no way to say that tuners are turning them off, just that they have the ability to. Which in my opinion makes the legal requirement to keep them on fall in to the lap of the tuner, not the software.

But obviously I'm not a lawyer.
    An interesting point but then again hpt and their competitors removed the ability to do diesel deletes allegedly under pressure from the EPA. If the EPA was differentiating between "canned tunes" and a "tuning suite", you'd think hpt and their competitors would still have the delete features in their "tuning suites".

Seems more like the EPA went after the diesel guys, who knows if (really, probably when) that will happen to the gas guys.

Advanced Tuner
    It didn't really come out the way I meant it. What I meant was that in a canned tune you can see what has been deleted, but the tuning suite just gives the option to delete things, which is perfectly legal to do on off road vehicles. If a tuning suite automatically deleted emissions components then it would fall under the same category in my mind. The reality is that a well tuned engine will also be a clean burning one.

Advanced Tuner
    It didn't really come out the way I meant it. What I meant was that in a canned tune you can see what has been deleted, but the tuning suite just gives the option to delete things, which is perfectly legal to do on off road vehicles. If a tuning suite automatically deleted emissions components then it would fall under the same category in my mind. The reality is that a well tuned engine will also be a clean burning one.
    x2. Yet the EPA wants all internal combustion engines to be comparable to electric vehicles... When an entity has the ability to influence or direct something they are not 100% knowledgeable in, they tend to be vague & not care of how they implement standards...
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Tuner in Training
    Not trying to start a debate here, but if that's the case then why did the tuning suites remove their diesel delete capabilities? By that same logic we should still be able to delete diesel emission systems on off road vehicles, right? Yet we cannot.

And I agree that a well tuned engine is also a clean burning one, but no matter how well tuned it is, if you remove the emission control devices, the vehicle will create higher emissions. That is what the EPA seems to care about.

Advanced Tuner
    I didn't take it as a debate, I just misunderstood what you were saying. I didn't realize the tuning suites had removed the diesel delete capabilities.

This started 3 years ago in the obama era. This is not trump's fault. If anything he has eased regulations from EPA to auto manufacturers. This was started by the VW scandal. Stop with the useless hate and bashing.