Thread: Raptor Flex fuel

Raptor Flex fuel

Glad to see we have ecoboost flex fuel available.....I have been messing with it for a couple days but without a PID to monitor E% I am just screwing around.

How are you guys monitoring your ethanol percentage (in the scanner)?
    Does anyone have a set/good E tune for EB?

I have checked out one or two repository files for Flex but they are 5.0 F-150, not EB and not quite the same....

Potential Tuner
    I am interested in this topic as well as I plan to tune mine to run flex. Since this is inferred alcohol content, wouldn't the PCM adjust the commanded AFR to match what the O2 sensors are telling it? By monitoring commanded AFR at cruise or idle (Lambda=1) could you back out the alcohol percentage?

yes the inferred alcohol pid was not in the scanner when I made this thread, now it is.....or else I may have overlooked it, but I don't think I did....

let me know if you have any questions about setup, mine is running great on E now.

I?ve got one running a flex tune now. We are currently doing HPFP, injectors, lift pump, and BAP as we speak. We limited out our fuel sustem quite easily going to E. Hope this alleviates it.

Tuner in Training
    There's a place to enter the stoichiometric AFR, which stock on my MKS was set about 14.2, which is about correct for E10. When running ethanol higher blends, do you change this value? Does changing this value effect the LTFTs?
    2013 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
    2002 Regal GS (3800 Supercharged V6)
    1996 Dodge RAM 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
    1982 Buick Grand National
    1965 Hemi Barracuda (43 jr)

Quote Originally Posted by b4black View Post
    There's a place to enter the stoichiometric AFR, which stock on my MKS was set about 14.2, which is about correct for E10. When running ethanol higher blends, do you change this value? Does changing this value effect the LTFTs?
    That is typically how you account for a different ethanol blend if you're running it full time, for my Focus ST I often ran a 40% ethanol blend so I would set that stoich value to a lambda of ~0.846 (~12.39 afr), the base fueling is now targeting that value for stoich. LTFT and STFT both are correcting the same way they do on the stock tune.

Now I haven't had a chance to dive into a Flex Fuel vehicle so I'm not 100% sure how you setup a vehicle with that.

Here's a log when I was running an E50 mix with STFT and LTFT logged https://datazap.me/u/tannermidd/e50-...17&zoom=43-137
    Last edited by fingertuning; 02-13-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Working on Flex for a Raptor as well. So is the system 100% "virtual sensor" or do you need to add in a physical sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Burger View Post
    Working on Flex for a Raptor as well. So is the system 100% "virtual sensor" or do you need to add in a physical sensor?
    no sensor, it is inferred

the ford has widebands, as I am sure you know, so it works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    no sensor, it is inferred

the ford has widebands, as I am sure you know, so it works pretty well.
    Awesome, even easier!

Do you have a sample tuned file to share so I can see what which flex tables need to be adjusted to get a basic setup up and working?

I can see the WOT vs. flex lambda target table mapping. Seems easy enough.

Not quite sure how the ignition mapping works. Since there is just one set of borderline tables I'm presuming there is another table that adds timing by RPM/load as a function of E85 mixture?

And then of course some sort of way to adjust load/torque targets as a function of E85 mixture.

Potential Tuner
    bump for 2019 raptor flex fuel map

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    yes the inferred alcohol pid was not in the scanner when I made this thread, now it is.....or else I may have overlooked it, but I don't think I did....

let me know if you have any questions about setup, mine is running great on E now.
    I know this is an old thread but what version of HPT were you using to see this? I've been trying to get the inferred alcohol to show in the scanner and can't, even after I flashed it with the flex fuel enabled and doesn't show as an available PID in my scanner

Tuner in Training
    Figured it out, after a "write entire" with the flex switch activated, in the scanner go to Vehicle -> "Repoll for Supported Parameters" and then Ethanol % and Inferred Stoich become available in the scanner. Hope this helps someone else!

Tuner
    Where did you get the HPFP settings needed for the tune?

Tuner in Training
    Factory HPFP, running e30 and 21psi have a bit of room left with the HPFP

Tuner in Training
    sorry to hijack an old thread but can anyone elaborate on the timing multipliers for flex on gen 2 eb's? pm if nec. I seem to have fueling sorted out (or at least safe for some logs) but i see no ign vs ethenol multipliers/tables. can anyone cue me up?
    thanks in advance
    Knows just enough to be dangerous......

Tuner
    I'd still like to know if anyone would share the HPFP settings! I think this data is supposed to only be shared if you are a dealer but sure would be nice to get that info...