Thread: 90 lbs DW Injectors : Idles too rich.

Tuner in Training

90 lbs DW Injectors : Idles too rich.

I installed a set of new 90 lbs DW Injectors (16U-00-0090-8) in my built LSA engine, the engine is very healthy and has put down 573 wheel hp, but it idles too rich and the tuner has tried to lean out the idle with no success, the highest AFR is around 12.5, I took it to another tuner and he said the same thing (both were reputable tuners with many years of experience), is it that hard to get these injectors to spray fuel in small droplets at idle??? I need to hear what do you guys think about that.

Senior Tuner
    should be no issue at all if the correct data is entered, would need to see tune file

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    as mentioned post tune and info about vehicle.

need idle log, idle issues may also be related to min Pw settings
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

I have had a lean after start issue with these injectors before. Found that the injector voltage offset table was off.
    When i started the vehicle PCM voltage was 12 volts, after a few minutes of running it would slowly go up to 14.4 volts and fuel trims would settle.
    Recalibrated the offset table and now fuel trims are fine no matter what voltage.
    I use 65lb DW injectors often, and never have an issue. Only run into this issue on the 90lb.

Tuner
    Fairly lumpy cam Kamaro?

I had/have a similar problem with my 65lb DW injectors previously installed and still the same for my 1050x IDs that are now installed.

My tuner said it's hitting the allowable min pulse width and average i get at idle is around 13.5 afr (i have a WB permanently installed), I've played with it a fair bit and unfortunately still can not get it to go any better.

I'm running a turbo with SD OL, aftermarket cam but not over exaggerated overlap (designed for boost) so maybe will get a little overlap at idle but shouldn't be huge.

Advanced Tuner
    If you have an FSCM, you can drop the max desired fuel pressure to reduce the flow at minimum pulsewidth.

Advanced Tuner
    whats your injector PW at idle?

if the correct data is entered it should start up and idle almost like stock without changes to anything but proper fuel injector data! you must post or share tune or file read in order to see what is going on. I have id 1050x injectors and my car has 0 problems in driveability

Advanced Tuner
    Could also check the minimum final idle airflow value in the table at your idle rpm. Could be mismatched relative to the maf calibration, for example.

Make sure you don't forget to change the "Transient Fuel Qualifications" section. Min Fuel Milligrams. Set that to .010 or something to try. That should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
    If you have an FSCM, you can drop the max desired fuel pressure to reduce the flow at minimum pulsewidth.
    This - might want to do this anyway just to give big injectors a little more room at idle.

Plus, might want to lower your minimum pulse width. I've had to do that before, and sure enough was a simple fix.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

sounds like you might not have entered offset vs pressure vs ignition tables alot of people forget this step did you change engine displacement??? 573 on a built motor isnt a huge number. we reallly cant help without file. please can we take a look at tune file maybe we can help. You need to know also all mods externally and internally like cam. it really sounds like your trims are maxed out and that would mean maybe acidentally used wrong chart missed something maybe silly. I've done it. if the motor is built and wrong dislpacement is input any nnumber of things can cause this. Per example you might be able to get afr inline full throttle by using maf only tune but if you idle really rich in closed loop some setting is off. maybe you accidentally turned off closed loop ltft in min map vs baro table. if you put zeros in those tables it wont correct at idle period you could be stuck open loop at idle and that turns off fuel trims. theres really a ton of settings that can do this. you could be in open lop at idle.