Thread: 2018 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 duramax diesel

Potential Tuner

2018 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 duramax diesel

has anyone played with one yet? I'm just guessing because the vehicle is so new not a lot of people have so just wanted to start a place where people can talk about what you've done with yours and post there tunes for this vehicle maybe I can learn something. My story personally my wife made me get rid of my Camaro so I picked up one of these. What are you thoughts on the truck and what have you done with yours?

Potential Tuner
    I have just put 11k on mine ...2018 zr2 Colorado with 2.8 duramax and all I have done is put in fuel and def...oh and change the oil. I'm gonna sell it though because I tuned my gas 05 Colorado and now its like a new truck with so much more power that I cant drive the diesel.

Tuner in Training
    Hey Duramaxxxx.

I just received my MPVI pro and have been datalogging my 2017 Colorado Duramax up here in Canada, no it does not run on maple syrup lol! I have set up channels to log but can not log EGT or AFR. I see there is a PLX that can support AEM and Innovate wideband. Maybe one of the more experienced members could recommend a Pyrometer or how they are logging that data.

Sorry for high jacking you thread but did not want to start another thread. Hope to start some discussion about the 2.8. its been awhile

Advanced Tuner
    IIRC, for the diesel guys, the CAN data on the AEM 30-0300/0310 goes all the way to lambda 6.5 ( 95AFR ) , if the new prolink can read it.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks drmike for the recommendation I will look into the AEM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    afr is a function of lambda....since they all read lambda i suggest you switch to making adjustments in lambda. most people would be surprised how much easier it is to use once you understand what the numbers mean.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Yes I agree cobalt. I do have some experience in motorcycle tuning and have a basic understanding of lambda. This platform is new to me also being a diesel. I used a OBD Bluetooth and an android app and was able to access all EGT sensors and O2 sensor concentration. VCM scanner has some pids/channels but they all reads 0. I could remove the downpipe and weld in an O2 bung and purchase AEM gauge,if that is the only option.
    So because the data is available through the OBD is this something HP support would address? I would like to have the appropriate channels before I make any changes to the tune. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I have a US 2017 z71 2.8 Colorado and have been messing with the tune a bit. I am very surprised with this little diesel after changing a couple things. The pick up was greatly improved. Over all power increased. I also seemed to pick up about 2mpg. I am not done and moving slow so I dont mess anything up. The truck is completely stock besides a cold air intake.

Tuner in Training
    That?s great to hear Rick. There is a lot of information on this forum for the larger Duramax but not so much for the 2.8. I have been reading a lot about diesel tuning fundamentals to get my head wrapped around things. I had a look at your tune and compared to see what was changed also one from Australia. Baby steps is the way I am going.

Tuner in Training
    I have not uploaded my latest tune because I was still messing with it to dumb down the throttle response. I have to be really easy on the pedal or the truck wants to take off. I also wanted to see the over time results before putting it out there. I do LS tuning but this diesel stuff is new to me so I am still learning the effects of each map as well.

Tuner in Training
    Yes agreed diesel is a whole different animal. I put a ticket in to support as I can not datalog O2 sensor or Egt temps which would be very helpful. I finally got the channels and histographs set up. Now I can start logging. Keep be posted on your progress and I will do the same. Have a Merry Christmas!

Tuner in Training
    Has anyone with a 2017 and newer 2.8 diesel been able to get there WB EQ Ratio 1 (SAE) to work in this vehicle channels while datalogging? Lambda does not change from .10. I have repolled for supported parameters and also tried a beta version sent to me all suggestioned by support. The ticket I submitted went to the hp engineers and I was advised that the channel is set up correctly. The last email suggested reaching out on the forum. And help would be greatly appreciated!

And Happy New Year!!

Potential Tuner
    I have a 2017 2.8 D-max I am interested in tuning. for tuning the Engine only does this require sending the ECU in for the unlock service. The note in the supported vehicle list makes Leads me to believe only the TCM tuning requires this. I was unable to read the vehicle ?

Tuner in Training
    I have a 2017 Colorado 2.8 and can read and tune both the ECU and TCM. Make sure you sync the interface under the help drop down in VCM Editor or Scanner before connecting to vehicle. I am running windows 10 on my laptop.

I Tuned my 18 as soon as I got it, had it a year now. Deleted it about 2 weeks later, would have been sooner but exhaust was on back order. Let me start by saying using a wideband or Air Fuel ratios in diesel tuning is virtually unheard of. The computer does "calculate" what it thinks lambda should be given a certain boost/rpm level but it only uses this to control low boost fueling.

I used the other guys software to tune my truck so i have not logged it with HPT but there should be a Pre Cooler EGR temp sensor that can be used as a EGT reading.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i used both egt and lambda but based on the results egt was more helpful to me. afr was nice but it was there to make sure i wasnt getting out of a zone i wanted to be around. this was a while ago when i did minor stuff to 4bt's.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the input guys appreciate it. BigCE how is the MPG with the delete is there an inprovement? I see the DPF as the week point of the system than the intercooler.

Tough to say if it improved I deleted it with like 1500miles on it and it was the dead of winter like -30 below. Mileage has always been pretty good, it certainly isn't going to make it worse deleteing it.