Thread: LBZ mileage

Tuner in Training

LBZ mileage

Alright guys. I have been playing with my tune on a 2006 LBZ that I picked up a few months ago. I have been trying to get the mileage up but nothing I do seems to make much difference. Holds around 16 - 17 running down the highway empty and 9 -10 pulling my camper. Also I am having trouble keeping my EGT's down when I pull my 13K lb 5th wheel camper. Please take a look at my program and see if you notice something I am missing. Truck only has 27,000 miles on it. 2500 crew 4x4. Truck still has the stock exhaust so I know I need to replace it with something that flows better to help with the EGT's. I have looked through some of the tunes online and they are all over the place with what people are changing. If someone has one that works great I would like to look at it to see where they are making changes. Been doing gas motors for the last 15 years and this is my first diesel.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Can't go wrong with this.
    Just ignore the emission stuff you can't do anymore.

Tuner in Training
    Yep I started there and tweeked it from there. Here is the tune that I started with after doing those changes. It has desent power but the mileage just isn't there. I was hoping to get 11-12 pulling my camper and around 20 on the highway. I can get 20+ on the 2 lanes running 55-60 but as soon as I hit the highway and go 70+ it drops to 16.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    What are you judging you mileage by?

Are you watching your main timing while driving? On mine (2006 LBZ) I had problems with high EGT and less than great fuel mileage until I got to watching timing on my edge monitor. It was running zero degrees most of the time. I believe you tune is setup very nearly the way I did mine. To "fix" it I ended up (under main SOI timing) copying the default table into all the pilot tables. It then gave me full control of the timing. I also upped the timing in the cruise area to make sure it doesnt drop under 8 degrees of timing. I'm not sure if that is the best way to get economy, but one source claimed that is the way to go. Supposedly cylinder pressures get too high if you go much over 9 degrees in the lower rpm area and you risk blowing a head gasket...

I doubt that the pilot tables are doing their job anymore, but I like the way it runs and I got my best highway econ of 19.8 with that tune (ccsb 4x4 285/75/16 all terrains)
    1999 s10 blazer trailblazer edition nv3500 swap
    2006 GMC ccsb 4x4 duramax/allison

Tuner in Training
    Shut the truck down for the winter and just getting back to this. The mileage was calculated by hand and has not improved at all. On my logs at cruize I am seeing 7ish degrees advance.
    On another note I went to do a small shift timing change last Wednesday and something happened in the beginning of the download. It errored out and then I had a dead computer with no start and no flash. Got a ticket going with tech support and sent them the files Thursday morning. Heard back from them telling me to try a earlier flash or the original. I had done both and still faulted just after the erasing phase. Didn't hear back so I towed it to the dealer and they were able to flash it with the stock program. BUT now since they flashed the latest update into it I can't program it because it tells me it is unlicensed! Shot them an email telling them what was up and have not heard anything back from them since.

Tuner
    How has this worked for you? Does it pour smoke or run clean?