Thread: swap from 98 grand prix to 99 buick regal

Tuner in Training

Unhappy swap from 98 grand prix to 99 buick regal

After many minnesota winters, the body of my grand prix rusted to swiss cheese so i swapped everything that was good on it into a 99 buick regal ls. engine, trans, suspension, pcm. i rewired the engine with a 99 regal harness and tried to start. no crank, no fuel pump. security light stay lit. plug in hp tuners. and it reads the pcm as my grand prix as it should. i think tho, it pisses off the bcm that the vin's dont match. am i wrong? i tried to relink vats but that didnt work either. Id like to change the vin in the pcm to the vin on the buick but hptuners says "unlicensed vehicle" and wont let me change it. i dont have the old pcm out of the regal so i cant try that :/ any ideas? i can control the fans and everything else in the scanner while linked but no start :/
    Attached Files Attached Files

So you are using a GP computer in a regal??

Because I am pretty sure that will not work and you need a regal PCM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    are they not the same. my grand prix computer plugged in just fine to the regal harness, as as i said, it accesses just fine. if anything, youd think it'd be a vin change. or bin change at most. both cars have same engine code and everything.

I know the VATS is different on the regal cars/computers, among a few other smaller things.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    damnit.... thanks for the heads up tho... i was hoping not to have to buy more credits :/ but i gots ta do what i gots ta do

Tuner in Training
    can i just flash a regal bin to it?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcleansmirc View Post
    can i just flash a regal bin to it?
    I flashed a 00 gtp file on my 02 regal PCM and that's what's running my engine now. I did have to licence the gtp file though.
    86 Fiero Convertible 3800sc/4T65E HD(2002)

Tuner in Training
    When I swapped in a 98 GTP motor into a 98 Intrigue the pcm was matched to the engine. I had it tuned to match the VIN in the car and I got nothing. Went back and forth with the tuner and finally he loaded Olds software and Buick software and using the GTP tune, then it worked perfect. The security is different between Pontiac and other GM cars and they wont sync up from what I was told from another user doing the same swap I did.

Tuner in Training
    yes, i deleted security entirely and the car has been on the road ever since.