Thread: First tune and MPVI2 didnt write, now vehicle will not start.

Tuner in Training

First tune and MPVI2 didnt write, now vehicle will not start.

So after reading and learning for the past few weeks I finally decided to write my 03 Denali, and on the first write the timer never started and it didnt write. Then it wouldnt even try to start. I tried with the same file again as support says ( a few times) and get Bootloader time out messages. This really is not a good start for this MPVI2. Ive used the MPVI pro of my buddies before and never had this issue on similar year GM trucks, albeit this was a few years back. Any idea what is causing this, I tried restarting the computer also..and I checked the VCM scanner which has been logging fine and now it wont connect either. I really need this vehicle for a daily driver...yes I know it was a bad idea to flash a vehicle that I "need" to drive but this shouldnt be something we have to worry about. Please someone tell me this has happened to you and its something stupid that I am missing because Im aggravated. Thanks in advance.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Please open a ticket with support https://support.hptuners.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Can anyone on here tell me what I need to do to get my Denali back running? I bought another ECM from the junkyard today out of an 03 suburban, the same year as my Denali. It has the 5.3 but I figured I could put my 6.0 stock tune on it somehow. I also got the harness and OBD2 port and built a benchtop setup so I dont have to do this in the vehicle, after reading the horror stories about failed flashes due to a slew of stuff. The benchtop setup reads the junkyard ECM fine, and I saved the file. I took the ECM out of my Denali and brought it in hoping this would solve the problem and it wont even read on the benchtop setup. I really need this car working as my wife drives it daily while her BMW is waiting on parts, so we are down to 1 car with 2 jobs(across town). I feel stupid for even flashing my daily driver now and Im scared to do anyone elses vehicles after this fiasco , but whats done is done. Can anyone give me suggestions, I cant wait 18 hours between tech supports answers...I need to buy whatever to get my Denali back running and deal with HP tuners later. I just dont want to make anymore assumptions and screw this up worse. Thanks in advance.

Buy a computer, tow the truck and computer to the dealer, they must program it to your truck/vin and reset the VATS.

Or license the other computer, spend another 100 bucks. Copy your data into that computer, disable vats and hope it allows your truck to run.

Or email support. Pick one.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Are you on the latest Beta version? What is your device firmware version?

Tuner in Training
    I was sent a Beta this afternoon to try. It didnt work in the vehicle. It also wouldnt "read" when put on the benchtop flashing setup I built that the junkyard ECM would. A few minutes ago when I was about to disconnect all the wiring laying on the wifes kitchen counter, I tried to read 3 more times and it wouldnt work. As I was about to disconnect it all, I thought screw it...why not try to write to it again, its already bricked. Somehow it worked and finally started the countdown timer and finished. I dont know what changed...I guess it was hung up in some kind of boot mode. The only thing I did different was cycle the switch I had made to replicate 12v ignition several times quickly as I was pushing the write button. I just walked in from putting it in the vehicle and it started up fine. I hope the tune is driveable because I am scared to mess with it anymore now that it is running. I guess I need to license this other ECM so that I can play with it and not worry about killing my vehicle again. Anyways...thanks for the advice and I wish I knew the problem so I could regain confidence in this system.

if the PCM is in recovery mode it won't read it will only write. Hence, when you did the write it worked. This is a known problem that was fixed awhile back with a firmware update.
    I count sheep in hex...