Thread: Peak Engine Torque Table

Tuner in Training

Peak Engine Torque Table

Can anyone explain exactly where this table is used in torque calculations and how it plays a roll in torque limiting? The info I find seems to be a bit fuzzy on this.

Also how is this related to the "Maximum Engine Torque" PID?
    SHUETUNING
    Powertraincontrolsolutions

I researched the crap out of this some time ago, and only found a few things. What i've put together myself and kind of seen is that it is the ECM's reference to Max torque based on timing for that particular build. From there the ECM is able to determine where the output is and make the necessary TQMGNT calculations and control the transmission pressures and shift time and etc... My timing actually exceeds quite a bit of the MAX table and i haven't noticed a ton of differences except for maybe the TQMGNT coming in a little earlier and my trans tables being shifted down a tad on how they act. When i was NA though, i never used TQMGNT so i never noticed a difference on that end. I might be up in the night though and making all this crap up too? Hopefully someone that really knows can chime in as we'll just treat my post as a BUMP i suppose.

It's not a torque limiting table, you want it to accurately reflect the true torque curve of your particular engine/application.

If it is too low the ECM can close the throttle or pull timing (can see it logging Torque Mngmt Advance) to reduce output
    If it is too high you could fail to enter PE or other torque based measurements will be incorrect.

Simply put, make this table as accurate as possible. Do not max it out. Best thing to do is leave it stock and raise it in small amounts only where needed until you are not being limited. I also get my driver demand table to correlate on the 100% row, however, make sure you recognize that driver demand (2014) is in kilowatts and PTT is in ftlbs.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks guys. What Higgs said is pretty much how i was thinking it worked. I did notice a car would not go into PE with the stock torque percentage based PE table if this were set too high.

Do you know how this related to the max torque PID in the scanner?

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    It's not a torque limiting table, you want it to accurately reflect the true torque curve of your particular engine/application.

If it is too low the ECM can close the throttle or pull timing (can see it logging Torque Mngmt Advance) to reduce output
    If it is too high you could fail to enter PE or other torque based measurements will be incorrect.

Simply put, make this table as accurate as possible. Do not max it out. Best thing to do is leave it stock and raise it in small amounts only where needed until you are not being limited. I also get my driver demand table to correlate on the 100% row, however, make sure you recognize that driver demand (2014) is in kilowatts and PTT is in ftlbs.
    Thanks for the info. This was extremely helpful.

Could make a PID with an error ratio.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7