Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! 2009 CTS-V running lean after headers and intake

Advanced Tuner
    Accident pretty bad I take it. maybe start there and look for any wiring issues and man, i hear yeah on body shops good ones are few and far between
    Last edited by TCSS07; 10-08-2018 at 09:37 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
    Accident pretty bad I take it. maybe start there and look for any wiring issues and man, i hear yeah on body shops good ones are few and far between
    Yeah it was acting like a short to ground so I had them go through and check everything they did for a bad ground. I am going to voltage drop test it when it warms up a bit. Its been in the 20s with snow lately (love that Colorado weather).

i compared your file to about 7stock files in all of them some sort of diagnostics was touched i can advise you on but you need orignial file and also your trims look like you mighht have a leak between intake a MAF. Why else change diagnotic parameters like misfire and MAF warm up??? do you have your untouched original file i can look at??????

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jpierro79 View Post
    i compared your file to about 7stock files in all of them some sort of diagnostics was touched i can advise you on but you need orignial file and also your trims look like you mighht have a leak between intake a MAF. Why else change diagnotic parameters like misfire and MAF warm up??? do you have your untouched original file i can look at??????
    Here is my stock file. The only thing I changed was to eliminate those DTCs.2009 Cadillac CTS V Stock.hpt

Tuner
    Yea, Its gonna be lean. Thats normal.
    You're changing air flow and allowing more. Typically for an example, When i tune a stock ctsv its around 11.4-11.7AFR, after adding headers, i've seen 13.1-13.7 AFR .

Get the car professionally tuned, and if you're looking to get it done,i offer remote tuning. You can email me at [email protected]

Yeah you have to retune with headers it really changes a lot. Bad part is headers the only right way is with a wideband so better get it tuned or get a wideband. I have aem x series. Love it. I let someone else tune my car and was so inhappy I’ve ajways tuned my own cars but never used hptuners. Always Cobb. I was sorely dissatisfied. One was a very big name tuner and come to find out he only tuned my maf and pe leaving me with part throttle headaches. Then I tried another tuner 3 hours away and yet again same issue. I decided I had wasted enough money built my own tune from scratch made more power and runs better. One guy left me so rich full throttle it would soot the back of my car and part throttle stumble on cold start cause he didn’t tune VVE the other full throttle at 2500 13.6 lean at 10 psi. With a 2500 rpm part throttle stumble. I git agrivated spent 3 credits retuned entire car including fuel pump settings voila perfect trims no stumble and I entered the multiplier correctly so my mpg reading was accurate. Both previous tuners did not use the multiplier method leaving my car calculating like I was getting over 30mpg. Haha I wish. Anyways if you want a good tune make sure you do your reasearch. I will not name the other companies as I will not bad mouth another business. But if you want help pm me I’m not looking for money I will only share what was shared with me, knowledge.

Tuner in Training
    I have the Innovate Lm-2 Dual setup and already welded in some bungs for them. Any help or advice is always appreciated. I'm trying to get spun up on this quickly but was hoping to wait for my first tune until I threw in the cam and pulleys and stuff but looks like I need to get it done sooner. There's a reputable shop here but it's like $650 so I wanted to wait to get it all done at once. Trying to get a class at my school, but trying to find a teacher who will do it is a pain

ok 650 for a good tune is NOT expensive. NO shop teacher is going to have the brains for it.they usually teach basics and have no clue what a tuning program needs. You need a PRO period. NO ETUNE EITHER. Make sure you go to someone with a load based dyno NOT A SUPERFLOW. Honestly mustang dynos are more accurate as far as tuning. They wont give you big numbers but put the same car on a superflow and it will read 10 percent more power. a dynojet is a load bearing dyno also. They actually put a load on the car like its on the road. Much more accurate. The non load bearing dyno just spits out numbers based upon how fast the drum spins up. Not accurate at all. Its based upon inertia.
    Bottom line means. Load bearing dyno with pro tuner and dont be afraid to pay some money out and if you did parts install and messed up. well guess what youll have to pay twice so a lot of the places have a preinspection. if your not sure if everything is right pay for preinspection. If they dont even suggest one I wouldnt think its a reputable shop and there just looking to chuck a big number tune at you with no driveability.

look if you want i can guide you through the process if you want i built my tune from scratch. i have zl1 with 18 percent overdrive pulley rotofab intake lt headers no cats 6 speed aem x wideband id1050x injectors and some other bits and tricks here and there. i idle at an average of 14.8 with perfectly smooth idle and it made 590whp on dynojet. it was 90 degrees ousidet as well. there no blips or glitches no flat spots in driveability it runs 11.8 straight through to 6600 from 2700rpm up. if you can log maf frequency, rpm, knock retard,knock learn, your widebands, ,spark advance, map in kpa, o2 b2s2, b1s2,ect,02b1s1,o2b2s1, accelerator pedal postion and tb postion,timing advance , intake air temp,cylinder airmass and afr commanded in your list of PID i can tune the car from europe(if i lived there)lol But you would have to follow specific instructions and be patient. When loging you would have to do exactly as i say. you have to have your widebands logging in your pid list as well. It cant be rushed and will take a fair amount of revisions and easing into it. No smashing the throttle we start tune driveability first and work your way up. and if you add calculated engine torque to your PID i can give you an estimated power difference.
    Last edited by jpierro79; 10-16-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Hell yeah bro PM me. I am always looking for more info. I had a thought on this. When I did the Kooks I did the headers and the catted xpipe. I stopped there. I don't have an axleback system on there, and I am wondering if it would be reading lean due to that, or simply due to the higher flow of the intake and headers.

Tuner in Training
    I have a really good GM EFI Live/HPTuners guy here at school. I go to Lincoln Tech in Denver so there are some very knowledgeable guys here. I am just trying to get them to offer the tuning class because its not always offered.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jpierro79 View Post
    look if you want i can guide you through the process if you want i built my tune from scratch. i have zl1 with 18 percent overdrive pulley rotofab intake lt headers no cats 6 speed aem x wideband id1050x injectors and some other bits and tricks here and there. i idle at an average of 14.8 with perfectly smooth idle and it made 590whp on dynojet. it was 90 degrees ousidet as well. there no blips or glitches no flat spots in driveability it runs 11.8 straight through to 6600 from 2700rpm up. if you can log maf frequency, rpm, knock retard,knock learn, your widebands, ,spark advance, map in kpa, o2 b2s2, b1s2,ect,02b1s1,o2b2s1, accelerator pedal postion and tb postion,timing advance , intake air temp,cylinder airmass and afr commanded in your list of PID i can tune the car from europe(if i lived there)lol But you would have to follow specific instructions and be patient. When loging you would have to do exactly as i say. you have to have your widebands logging in your pid list as well. It cant be rushed and will take a fair amount of revisions and easing into it. No smashing the throttle we start tune driveability first and work your way up. and if you add calculated engine torque to your PID i can give you an estimated power difference.
    I will definitely take you up on that!

If you have HPTuners and all that has been done is CAI and headers, there is really not much you have to do if everything is nice and tight. It's been said here already.Overall you are moving somewhere between 10 to 15% more air across the board and idle. Until you do something like change pulley size or a new cam, most of your work will revolve around your MAF,VVE timing and PE.

I have not read through the entire thread but i would start by adding 10% to your MAF table and VVE. Also stated earlier,make some adjustments to your fuel enrichment PE table.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner in Training
    I know its dumping fuel to accommodate a lean condition. My LTFTs are way high. I've checked everything and made sure it's all good and tight. The only change is the headers. As soon as I did that it started dumping fuel, and I haven't hooked up my wideband just yet but I know its compensating for a lean condition. Apparently it flows so well it's just trying to keep up with all the airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean51080 View Post
    I know its dumping fuel to accommodate a lean condition. My LTFTs are way high. I've checked everything and made sure it's all good and tight. The only change is the headers. As soon as I did that it started dumping fuel, and I haven't hooked up my wideband just yet but I know its compensating for a lean condition. Apparently it flows so well it's just trying to keep up with all the airflow.
    If I remember correctly the logs were showing a negative LTFT (I'll have to check that latter), but a negative LTFT is pulling fuel not adding.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by asteggall View Post
    If I remember correctly the logs were showing a negative LTFT (I'll have to check that latter), but a negative LTFT is pulling fuel not adding.
    old but just doing some reading for my situation

logs definitely showing negative LTFT throughout log, which is opposite of what OP thinking is situation

i too was showing -15 ltft avg with airaid/testpipes/ported ls7 TB with stock pulley with stock tune

Tuner in Training

Ctsv bank 1 and 2 lean codes

I have lean codes bank 1 and 2. Car is 12 ctsv with cold air intake and cutouts. I cleaned the maf but the codes keep returning. Gonna do smoke test today but I don't get anywhere what next? Also has a dw 300 pump

Quote Originally Posted by jknight24 View Post
    I have lean codes bank 1 and 2. Car is 12 ctsv with cold air intake and cutouts. I cleaned the maf but the codes keep returning. Gonna do smoke test today but I don't get anywhere what next? Also has a dw 300 pump
    You might want to start a new thread. Post your tune and log file.
    2013 CTS-V Coupe M6 - 1 7/8" Headers, 3" x-pipe, stock mufflers, Airaid intake w/green filter, ID1050X injectors, DSXtuning flex fuel kit, DMS under hood tank, upgraded pump, 3/4" lines, griptec 2.4" pulley, solid isolator, 100mm idler, reinforced brick, MM mild catch can, AEM 30-0334 wbo2, 600whp/630wtq