Thread: laptop requirements

Potential Tuner

laptop requirements

hi guys! newbie to ecm tuning, ive seen many different opinions about laptop use and battery time! ok, can anyone tell me if I can have my factory ac battery charger keeping my battery charged, when writing to ecm? I don't think my battery will last long enough on its own? i plan to get to the point of turbo tunes, how much time would a tune like that take to write?

I would not risk it personally. Something goes wrong, laptop dies mid write it could brick the computer.

Get a laptop that has a good battery, you need one regardless if you plan to do any sort of street logging.

How long it takes to write a calibration is completely dependent on what controller the vehicle has. Some take 30-50 seconds while others are about 2 minutes to do both PCM/TCM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    thanks for the info! im looking for a new laptop

Tuner
    How about laptop processing power etc?
    I’m a computer idiot, so I’m looking for a basic laptop to be able to have the car remote tuned.

Potential Tuner
    I would recommend at least an i5 CPU with an SSD drive. Standard HD's suck with today's software updates, especially Win 10. (older hard drives will take a lot longer than SSDs for software updates) This will make it more useful for other things.

Also, consider minimally Bluetooth(BT) 4.1 support. It's backward compatible with older versions and will support more modern devices like newer BT OBD.