Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help setting up This NEW MPVI2 with a CANBUS Wideband

Need help setting up This NEW MPVI2 with a CANBUS Wideband

I just purchased a AEM 30-0334 X Series wideband, set it all up and followed the instructions to get it to read, it is working and it is logging my Actual AFR in my Channels List, however there is no values in my AFR Error Histogram on the Graphs. I am really confused on how to make this AFR error work so i can tune my WOT the way i used to. I Have AFR Error (Math) as first parameter and MAF Frequency Sensor as Colomn Axis. With my old MPVI Pro I would use this histogram to log the AFR error and make the adjustments necessary...however with the OBD2 Style Can bus Wideband and my MPVI2 ....The AFR Error HIstogram is empty while in the channels list it is actually logging. Please help!

Nothing has change between the MPVI 1 and MPVI 2 as far as using the wideband. Same with the canbus widebands, it is all the same way to set it up.

If you followed the how to in the VCM scanner section it will still work. You must be missing something or have something incorrect in the settings for it to not populate.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

It let's me use EQ ratio error(Math) ....not AFR error ( Math )

That's what I need help with.

make sure you are logging commanded AFR also so it has something to calculate from.

in any case you should not use AFR and use lambda/eq anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    make sure you are logging commanded AFR also so it has something to calculate from.

in any case you should not use AFR and use lambda/eq anyways.

I tried to do it using the eq ratio method, EQ Ratio Error Math vs MAF FREQUENCY, I did it that way, took those values, multiplied by % half and it overshot it like a MF and It made my truck LEAN. I'm open to using Lambda, no problem, however the correction factor isnt the same as AFR error vs MAF Frequency.

Senior Tuner
    if u go into the preset "EQratio error" maths look at what they use and keep the "commanded EQ" but change the "EQ ratio (sensor)" to your new wideband output, use the same "expression" with your wideband output in it replacing the old one so it shows percentage, then go thru and pick it again for your graph so it updates

Quote Originally Posted by LSandlteditor View Post
    I tried to do it using the eq ratio method, EQ Ratio Error Math vs MAF FREQUENCY, I did it that way, took those values, multiplied by % half and it overshot it like a MF and It made my truck LEAN. I'm open to using Lambda, no problem, however the correction factor isnt the same as AFR error vs MAF Frequency.
    you're doing it wrong. it works perfectly when you do it right.

i can't tell you what specifically you are doing wrong since I am not watching you do it but just confirming that it works just fine.

change your process.

I'm telling you guys it wont work with afr error, and I've never used it with eq ratio error percent, I tried once but it overcorrected as I stated. I have a histogram setup with EQ ratio error vs maf frequency, and the values are not working for me. I'd love to change my process but my process was fine using AFR error instead. But with this canbus wideband I cant do that and it's really stressing me out. I've been doing some research and an advanced tuner on here also said with that wideband you cant log afr error. I have to learn how to use the eq ratio error properly I guess. I also tried what others recommended in that post with no luck

Screenshot_20181007-142851_Chrome.jpg
    Last edited by LSandlteditor; 10-07-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Senior Tuner
    what formula are u using for the error ?

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    what formula are u using for the error ?

For eq ratio error graph I use eq ratio error math as parameter 1, and I use MAF Airflow Sensor Frequency for Parameter 2. It generates numbers however the numbers I believe are incorrect. And as far as when I try AFR Error Graph, I use AFR error Math as Parameter 1 and MAF airflow sensor frequency as parameter 2, and this table does not generate any numbers.

Senior Tuner
    u might have to check what i mentioned in post #6 if u change the wb input (as now its a pid not analogue) then u will have to change the maths for it to work again, just find out what the WB is in your error expression and change it to the new wb and it should be back to normal

for afr error you have to build a custom math user defined parameter
    i included a histogram graph the math is for gm's exact 14.67. its more accurate make sure you use at least one decimal place
    first tools math parameter user defined 1 open the 14.7 math
    the go to graphs open gm afr histogram
    the to chart add eq series set units to 14.7
    you must be loging map kpa afr command afr connect your wb
    wb eq generic through obd port. first plug in obd then key on wait for to stop heating sensor plug mpvi2 then connect mpvi2 connect to vehicle click vehicle re pull parameters
    hope the math and graphs work without flex fuel i had to build a special math parameter for my z1 cause you can command 14.1 for e10 but no matter what eq goes back to stoich of 14.7 unless actual flex fuel sensor is enabled period!!! unless you force continuous open loop. then you cant compensate for temps ect.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Hello, I am having this exact same issue. Did you ever get your AFR Error graph to work? Im pulling my hair out!
    2015 Toyota Tundra Limited 4X4 5.7L
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    2006 Base LS2

Pfadt 1 7/8" long tube headers w/ 3"collectors, Tick Performance 231/235/111, Comp Cams Ultra Gold 2122 1.82 ratio rocker arms,
    X-pipe, high flow cats, Z06 mufflers , Vararam power wedge, and BC coilovers,

Advanced Tuner
    It let's me use EQ ratio error(Math) ....not AFR error ( Math )

That's what I need help with.
    i was having this same problem with mine. I just used the EQ ratio error math and changed the units in the graph area and in the channels area to display AFR error and not EQ error

Tuner in Training
    Thanks sgod1100. I will give that a try.
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    2006 Base LS2

Pfadt 1 7/8" long tube headers w/ 3"collectors, Tick Performance 231/235/111, Comp Cams Ultra Gold 2122 1.82 ratio rocker arms,

Quote Originally Posted by SnakesC6 View Post
    I just learned how to tune using Lambda instead of fighting it. I tuned it the same way except with eq ratio error. It was a blessing in disguise as now I have a better way of tuning for any type of fuel.

Advanced Tuner
    I just learned how to tune using Lambda instead of fighting it. I tuned it the same way except with eq ratio error. It was a blessing in disguise as now I have a better way of tuning for any type of fuel.
    I like using af error since i have no plans on running E on my car and i'm more familar with a/f ratio vs. lambda

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakesC6 View Post
    Did it work out for ya?

Potential Tuner

Hope this helps

I'm new to this too and was kinda on my own to figure out how to make it work.

So, here's what I did to make it work

First off if you don't have your AEM wideband working
    Start HERE

After I went through that and created a graph I found it was working correctly and reading AFR

Here's how I got the EQ ratio error working
    >>>> First Open a Log file that has your working Wideband AFR table in it <<<<

I needed to find out where the VCM scanner was reading the wideband.
    So, right click and click on "graphs Layout"
    Click on the green plus to create a new graph (Add table)
    Click on "new variable"
    Click on "insert or change" parameter
    In the parameter Selector Type "WB" in the text filter

Find the Wide band EQ ratio sensor that worked for your original Wideband field that is reading correctly.
    For Mine it was "WB EQ Ratio 1 (SAE)"
    Double click on that and click on "Yes, Sounds Good!"
    Then click on "OK" in the variable wizard

See now in the layout editor the function field was just filled with the correct working address of your wideband
    In my case it looks like this [50127.238] write down the numbers only

Now that we have the number address go ahead and click on the minus button to remove the new table we just created.
    Then close out of the Graph Display Layout Editor

Now we click on the "Tools" drop down.
    Then on "math parameters"
    Then click on the plus next to Lambda & Afr
    Then click on EQ Ratio Error
    The (Equivalence ratio Commanded [sensor]) line should be pink in the lower box
    That is the incorrect address for the expression written in the Expression box
    So, write down the expression Replacing the incorrect expression with the correct expression that we wrote down earlier.

Now that we have the correct Expression needed
    Click on User Math 1
    Then create whatever badass name you want
    Then take the correct expression you just wrote down
    and enter it exactly into the expression box.

If you did all that correctly when you enter it into the Expression box there should be NO pink lines or boxes.

Close out of the Math Parameters Manager

Now we have to go back and Create a graph

So right click in graphs and click on "Graphs Layout"
    Click On the "Plus" to Add a Graph
    Click on the parameter "<click to insert or change>" line
    On the bottom of the list click on "user defined"
    You'll find whatever badass name you gave it
    Double click on that name
    Change the Label to another badass name
    Then under the unit drop down change it from percent to number <<< Important- that threw me off for a while

Cell hits I left at 0
    High value I put at 10 mid 0 and low -10
    Pick whatever colors you like

Column axis should be Engine rpm
    Values should match your VVE table
    This is mine >>> 400 600 800 1000 1200 1400 1600 1800 2000 2200 2400 2600 2800 3000 3200 3400 3600 3800 4000 4200 4400 4600 4800 5000 5200 5400 5600 5800 6000 6200 6400

Row Axis should be map sensor
    again Values should match your VVE table
    This is mine >>> 10 12.5 15 17.5 20 22.5 25 27.5 30 32.5 35 37.5 40 42.5 45 47.5 50 52.5 55 57.5 60 62.5 65 67.5 70 72.5 75 77.5 80 82.5 85 87.5 90 92.5 95 97.5 100 102.5 105

If all went well you should be able to now see AFR ratio error

One thing to keep in mind is the used defined Math's are not saved with the layout. If you save it and try to move it to a different computer it wont be there.
    It is normal I Don't know why but I found that info under the help section.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sgod1100 View Post
    Did it work out for ya?
    Yes! Thank you! You were correct! I know get a reading in the graph. I needed to use EQ ratio error math instead of AFR error.

But this raises some more confusion for me now. I have been following the HP Tuners Beginner book, WOT in the MAF & VE Tuning section. It has me to use AFR error math as the first parameter and the MAF sensor (high) values from the table in the editor when setting up the graph. Do I set up the graph the same except using EQ ratio error instead?

Now that I am using the EQ ratio error math, would I follow the same steps for reducing errors between the commanded air/fuel ratio and the actual air/fuel ratios that they lay out?
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    2006 Base LS2